News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:29PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 273
Total: 275

Unfair treatment

Started by Nomad, 25-05-22, 02:17PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do/did you suffer 'unfair' treatment by management ?

No
39 (20%)
Yes
156 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 195

madness

Quote from: NightAndDay on 01-07-22, 08:08PMAs of recently, I'm back in Tesco in a new role, but not in store, oh no, I'm now the head of software development at the London office.
So you are more useless than a MM making up new useless programs that don't work with the real world or on the shop floor.

Bobmay

It is already happening especially now that tesco is looking to cut hours of some stores looking to remove night shifts. The manager wants to pit pressure on staff than they can leave without redundancy which is what will make them have bigger bonus.

NightAndDay

Quote from: madness on 05-08-22, 09:44PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 01-07-22, 08:08PMAs of recently, I'm back in Tesco in a new role, but not in store, oh no, I'm now the head of software development at the London office.
So you are more useless than a MM making up new useless programs that don't work with the real world or on the shop floor.

There are 2 things wrong with your comment.

1. Head of software development doesn't mean I decide the requirements and the use case of the software my team develops, the stakeholder for Retail operations would do that.

2. I don't make the programs, my team does, I do code reviews, document reviews, strategic meetings, forecasting, budgeting, training and coaching, Tesco operates in an agile way using KANBAN and CI/CD principles to execute their deliverables, it is very much a teamwork based environment with clearly defined roles and expectations in a devops environment.

lordadmiral

And we all know theat stakeholders want all sorts c**p which is impossible to implement or will break something else beacuse implementation is over complicated.
Oh an better it would be done asap.
And code doesn't have documentation so no one know what does what.
And it takes days, sometimes weeks just to set-up environment before you ask that question, "ok, so what you want me to do".
Or being paid hundrets of £ a day to find that one bracket in the wrong place beacuse someone had an idea to write several hundreds lines long function with dozens nested if statement and no bloody comments.
Or 20k lines JS with global single character variables, and again no comments.

NightAndDay

A lot of these Retail management/director positions are non-jobs, extra to requirements. "Brand Managers", "Customer Engagement Director", far too much money invested into glorified marketing managers.

My job actually requires skill and knowledge in a concrete domain, we all know that Retail operations is mickey mouse, but it is in the structure for some reason, the role requires a common sense approach to processes, so many people are thrown into Retail operations even I fail to see the value. The fact they're paid more than my team of developers is also scandalous in my opinion.

Doormat246

Quote from: Nomad on 25-05-22, 02:17PMBe honest, have you suffered unfair treatment from a manager ?

Not treated the same as others, been 'picked on', expected to do more than others or had treatment which you knew they knew was out of process but they persisted !
I was forced to go on a career break by manager as she wouldn't accept any sick notes off me it was agreed she contact me every 4 weeks but I've had no contact, when I manage to go shopping in the store I'm sneered at and ignored blatantly by my manager.  So I've emailed a complaint to store manage, head office and the union be interesting to see what comes out of this

forrestgimp

How does a manager 'not accept' a fit note? have you challenged this with anyone.

Sewingbee

Quote from: Doormat246 on 30-10-22, 08:12PM
Quote from: Nomad on 25-05-22, 02:17PMBe honest, have you suffered unfair treatment from a manager ?

Not treated the same as others, been 'picked on', expected to do more than others or had treatment which you knew they knew was out of process but they persisted !
I was forced to go on a career break by manager as she wouldn't accept any sick notes off me it was agreed she contact me every 4 weeks but I've had no contact, when I manage to go shopping in the store I'm sneered at and ignored blatantly by my manager.  So I've emailed a complaint to store manage, head office and the union be interesting to see what comes out of this

A line manager on their own can't just not accept sick notes. When I was on long term sick with my fractured foot last year, I had several 'wellness meetings' with my manager, before they asked for my authorisation to be assessed by an occupational therapist after 6 months.
Don't believe it's not greener on the other side. 😉

Vespa2001

I seem to receive unfair treatment off more than one manager but my actual manager is a decent person and leaves us to get on with our work. Certain people seem to get away with things whereas they will be on my back about stuff. A certain manager recently reported me for refusing to do as they had asked when I was on my break at the end of my shift. The manager was most surprised to find out off my actual manager that it was acceptable I was on my break! They went to cause trouble accusing me of refusing to do as they asked and saying I should not be on break at end of shift. The manager actually came to apologise to me when they found out not only did my manager know but approved. That manager was always on at me but their own staff were left to stand around and chat whilst I'm on my own in my department and have no help. That manager has just left thank god. I've had things shouted down an aisle to me off the deputy manager not nice things either.
    The deputy also issued me with lets talk for not doing a certain job which was previously done by another department. I was not told by anyone that that task was now expected to be done by me, so unfairly treated once again as getting into trouble for not doing something that I didn't even know I was supposed to do. I could type many more unfair similar incidents. It's annoying when you can see others getting away with being lazy and having extra breaks, other GA's the same as me.
     Last week another temporary manager arrives (with a reputation of being nasty from their previous store) and already caused trouble for me again being unfair. So yes managers are unfair in my experience.

oldfashionedplayer

it's actually in policy that breaks aren't allowed to be taken within the first hour, or the last hour of work... So that is a valid complaint, breaks are supposed to be inbetween your shift as much as I'd like  to just save up my break and just clock out early...

If your getting let's talk's for jobs, you can issue them too, keep a note of what you've been told, who's said what job you need to do, ask at the start of the shift "What are my job duties" and "Can you be clear in what my Job duties are", along with "I'm making notes about the Job duties you've given me due to protect myself" - They soon back off because it's then all clear as day..

If your shouted stuff by a manager, just honestly ignore it until they come over, or go and explain that you don't take kindly to verbal abuse and that if they need you to come talk to you, make a note of EACH time they shout etc..

Found this way keeps them off your back to be honest.

trivi

@oldfashionedplayer do you know where the policy is for breaks not being taken at end of shift? Lots do it in my store

londoner83

I'd question why people want to take breaks at the end of their shift and whether they actually remain in the building and clock out at the end of their contracted hours. If they are leaving early and not clocking it can actually be classed as misconduct.

Breaks exist to allow employees a period of rest during their working day and are a legal requirement.

By purposefully delaying breaks until the end of their shift these colleagues may well exceed the number of hours you can legally work without a break - which if you then have a accident at work could well be bought up and used against you in any potential compensation claim you may have.

lucgeo

@Vespa2001...playing the devil's advocate here but could it be you? Are you unwittingly winding people up? We sometimes had colleagues who were very vocal about unfair treatment by managers, usually unfounded.

As already been stated, you can ask for a 1-2-1 with any manager to discuss your concerns regarding treatment toward you.

The ruling has always been to not be holding back your break to the last hour. A lot do it and go home early. One point being that colleagues are working longer than legally allowed between breaks, another that they are contracted to work to a certain time, so the store can expect the cover for those hours in department. Occasionally, due to staff shortage or unexpected circumstances during the shift, it may be that you have a break later, but people should not be holding back, to go home earlier.

No manager should be calling you from your break, any colleague called from their break, for whatever reason, are entitled to return and resume their full break again from scratch. So if you had a 30minute break, and was called away from it at any point ( even if you had only a few minutes left to take) you go back and start your 30 min break again!

Any manager shouting down an aisle at you, a grievance should be placed immediately. You would be in your rights to walk away from the shop floor, to remove yourself from the intimidating situation.

You say your manager is a fair bloke, why are you not approaching him for support, more to the point, why is he not supporting you and taking up your complaints with the other managers??

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

QuoteThe manager was most surprised to find out off my actual manager that it was acceptable I was on my break! They went to cause trouble accusing me of refusing to do as they asked and saying I should not be on break at end of shift. The manager actually came to apologise to me when they found out not only did my manager know but approved.

If above is accurate then Vespa2001's actual manager has a policy knowledge deficiency, and bares a large portion of the blame.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

madness

Quote from: lucgeo on 15-11-22, 10:04AM@Vespa2001...playing the devil's advocate here but could it be you? Are you unwittingly winding people up? We sometimes had colleagues who were very vocal about unfair treatment by managers, usually unfounded.

As already been stated, you can ask for a 1-2-1 with any manager to discuss your concerns regarding treatment toward you.

The ruling has always been to not be holding back your break to the last hour. A lot do it and go home early. One point being that colleagues are working longer than legally allowed between breaks, another that they are contracted to work to a certain time, so the store can expect the cover for those hours in department. Occasionally, due to staff shortage or unexpected circumstances during the shift, it may be that you have a break later, but people should not be holding back, to go home earlier.

No manager should be calling you from your break, any colleague called from their break, for whatever reason, are entitled to return and resume their full break again from scratch. So if you had a 30minute break, and was called away from it at any point ( even if you had only a few minutes left to take) you go back and start your 30 min break again!

Any manager shouting down an aisle at you, a grievance should be placed immediately. You would be in your rights to walk away from the shop floor, to remove yourself from the intimidating situation.

You say your manager is a fair bloke, why are you not approaching him for support, more to the point, why is he not supporting you and taking up your complaints with the other managers??

Was thinking the same, If EVERYONE else is a horrible person except you. Maybe You are the problem.

Meh19923

Yea I just got dismissed today 😑

Past year they had me doing 60+ hours and at times 80+ a week, totally messed me physically and mentally.

They put me on a first warning for lateness and I asked for support and got nothing, skipped a 2nd and went to final and again I told them my hours were killing me I need support and got nothing, luckily when I got a reinstated final for lateness the senior finally admitted in the meeting I didn't get enough support, and it was good for like a week then once again my hours start going up 🤦

So finally got a little control of my work life, then on a s*** day I'm expected to work backdoor/grocery alone and do all of produce alone plus be at pfs and put barriers outside for Christmas Market (so about 4/5 peoples worth of jobs).

Made a mistake and absent mindedly took a quick puff of my vape before I entered the pfs due to stress, admitted to it asap, before they even said anything to me and bang I'm dismissed after a investigation and disciplinary stating I take all the work load on myself and nothing is placed on me by management 😒

Honestly I was thoroughly used, abused and excused this past year but now I'm sacked so still in 2 minds if I should appeal 😂

lucgeo

So what exactly were you dismissed for? Vaping or a final warning escalation?

From what I can gather vaping isn't illegal in a petrol station, and if this was the case you'd have been suspended? We're you suspended?

If you can clarify the exact reason for dismissal it could go some way to advising your best form of defence.

oldfashionedplayer

I'd assume that because there is "No Smoking" at petrol stations, that it's forcibly included with vaping too, since they count it towards an electronic product like phones to not use near pumps - meaning I guess it would come under Gross Misconduct for doing it with the potential for an immediate dismissal based on the severity...

Reporting it would help the case, if anything that should of lowered it I would of thought, the fact that there was a warning already may of just been the icing on the cake for them to just get you out the door perhaps? I'd honestly look at the appeal process, in the face of that you've requested mental health support, you've not been given it and without thinking with the immediate stress you were under lead to actions you wouldn't otherwise of committed in your X amount of service..

Certainly something I'd say to challenge if it was based upon lack of support. - Also if the notes state you "just wanted to take it all on by yourself" knowing full well that it's lead to problems, that comes under Poor Management on their behalf as they are supposed to support all members of staff, so if you've been saying it and asking for help, how long has that been going on? why hasn't that been addressed previously? how many other managers knew about it? how many other colleagues experienced the same? there's plenty of questions to be had there.

lucgeo

Adding to the above from oldfashionedplayer...if it is written down regarding your excessive hours, that you take it upon yourself? Have you been working unpaid?
I'm at a loss to understand how the management can disassociate themselves from the amount of hours you claim to have worked, if you've been getting paid? You have to declare an opt out to work up to a certain amount of hours per week, I seem to recall it was 46hrs?? It should have flagged up if you were constantly working to excess and clocking in and out?? Who overrode the exceptions?

If vaping isn't specifically stated on the petrol station signs alongside phones and smoking...then that could be a get out clause! Farting gives off a gas, but no signs for that  ???

I hope you were given a copy of all meetings?? Especially the lack of agreed support, and the manager accepting that it was a mitigating factor to your well being!

Meh19923

Quote from: lucgeo on 02-12-22, 09:04AMSo what exactly were you dismissed for? Vaping or a final warning escalation?

From what I can gather vaping isn't illegal in a petrol station, and if this was the case you'd have been suspended? We're you suspended?

If you can clarify the exact reason for dismissal it could go some way to advising your best form of defence.

Dismissed for have a absent-minded vape on pfs forecourt b4 i went in 🤦 honestly now im thinking straight even i know that was dumb but cuz i was on a reinstated final i got dismissed 🤦 life huh

Meh19923

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 02-12-22, 11:11AMI'd assume that because there is "No Smoking" at petrol stations, that it's forcibly included with vaping too, since they count it towards an electronic product like phones to not use near pumps - meaning I guess it would come under Gross Misconduct for doing it with the potential for an immediate dismissal based on the severity...

Reporting it would help the case, if anything that should of lowered it I would of thought, the fact that there was a warning already may of just been the icing on the cake for them to just get you out the door perhaps? I'd honestly look at the appeal process, in the face of that you've requested mental health support, you've not been given it and without thinking with the immediate stress you were under lead to actions you wouldn't otherwise of committed in your X amount of service..

Certainly something I'd say to challenge if it was based upon lack of support. - Also if the notes state you "just wanted to take it all on by yourself" knowing full well that it's lead to problems, that comes under Poor Management on their behalf as they are supposed to support all members of staff, so if you've been saying it and asking for help, how long has that been going on? why hasn't that been addressed previously? how many other managers knew about it? how many other colleagues experienced the same? there's plenty of questions to be had there.
Ow I asked every time they gave me and investigation for lateness that I was tired from excessive hours topping 60+, even the senior who reinstated my final said I didn't receive support from all the other meetings, which annoyed me because they admit they didn't help but I'm stuck on a damn final or was at this point 😂

Meh19923

Quote from: lucgeo on 02-12-22, 01:26PMAdding to the above from oldfashionedplayer...if it is written down regarding your excessive hours, that you take it upon yourself? Have you been working unpaid?
I'm at a loss to understand how the management can disassociate themselves from the amount of hours you claim to have worked, if you've been getting paid? You have to declare an opt out to work up to a certain amount of hours per week, I seem to recall it was 46hrs?? It should have flagged up if you were constantly working to excess and clocking in and out?? Who overrode the exceptions?

If vaping isn't specifically stated on the petrol station signs alongside phones and smoking...then that could be a get out clause! Farting gives off a gas, but no signs for that  ???

I hope you were given a copy of all meetings?? Especially the lack of agreed support, and the manager accepting that it was a mitigating factor to your well being!

Yea got all the notes, and yes I signed the opt when I started but I know they cleared my exceptions in wages, I mean the day I got sacked I was on day 16 of continuous work, in Sept I did 6 weeks without a day off, honestly that place f***ed my over.

Twinkletoes

to be honest what kind of idiot would agree to work that many hours or that many days in row? You are as much to blame for your demise as them.

Redshoes

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 02-12-22, 11:11AMI'd assume that because there is "No Smoking" at petrol stations, that it's forcibly included with vaping too, since they count it towards an electronic product like phones to not use near pumps - meaning I guess it would come under Gross Misconduct for doing it with the potential for an immediate dismissal based on the severity...

Not using a phone whilst fuelling is a rule because you need to pay attention to what you are doing and a mobile is a distraction. A passenger in a car is allowed to use a mobile phone.
If called to give support at pfs a vape on the way is not appropriate. There is no such thing as a smoke/vape break.

Meh19923

Quote from: Twinkletoes on 03-12-22, 10:45AMto be honest what kind of idiot would agree to work that many hours or that many days in row? You are as much to blame for your demise as them.

Yh i am but once i reached a point i just didnt have the energy to fight bk and say no

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk