News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-05-24, 03:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,908
  • Latest: Old man
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,562
  • Total Topics: 647
  • Online today: 654
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 639
Total: 639

Pay Review 2022

Started by yeetus, 29-03-22, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barafear

Quote from: Davethebave on 13-04-22, 02:11PM
I like how someone said "managers on £20 an hour"

That would be the dream.
The truth is, a lot of managers are on between £12-£14 p/h. Managers will see a small % of a pay rise. Tesco will hope that it will in-courage some to take the step down to shift leader, now £11.96 an hour. The company are actually offering a buyout/protected pay for both team and lead managers who step down, for manager "forced" to move stores, they will pay your travel expenses.

No matter what post you hold, manager or GA, you will ultimately get screwed over by Tesco.

I only used £20 an hour as a "figure plucked out of the air" to demonstrate the reason that Tesco are not FORCED to increase pay at this "level" - whereas because of the poor wage deals for GAs just prior to the NLW being introduced, Tesco have been FORCED to increase GA pay by what seems like huge % in order to stay legal - whatever the actual hourly rate of pay is for managers, it is significantly above the NLW - therefore Tesco have full autonomy over what they pay managers (Supply/Demand etc) rather than the situation with B/C grade jobs which over the last few years have been eroded down towards NLW levels.

But the bottom line still remains, even when being FORCED to increase GA pay, Tesco still find a way around it - i.e. cutting other benefits/changing our contracts/delaying pay increases.

To be honest, in order to remain legal, Tesco could carry on paying GAs £9.55 an hour all the way to next March - it would only be from 1st April 2023 (when NLW is expected to be £10+ an hour) that Tesco would then be forced to increase that level.

But across all industries, it is a fact of the NLW that the gap between "the bottom" and "middle management" (for want of a better phrase) is closing fast - because the NLW wage level increases by around 4%+ a year and most "normal pay increases" (certainly over the last 5 years or so) have been around 2%.

servicegirl

Never said it was unfair that the staff got 10% rise few years ago my post was about how unfairly managers pay rises have been in comparison. Will await news on our measly rise if anything. And as for sitting doing Rotas in an office that is part of our role in making sure departments are scheduled and we request hours to plan in over shortages on departments. That is one small part of the role and managers roles are so much more than this like I said staff don't see half of what we do!

lackofinterest

Quote from: NightAndDay on 13-04-22, 01:50PM
CA's have no incentive to sweat for Tesco, they are paid 5p above the minimum wage with no other benefits apart from 10% discount (which every competitor offers) and Sunday premo (soon to be stopped) even managers don't have it that good, they are paid less than what many graduate schemes offer for 1,000 times more stress and rubbish. Even the Area Manager role is being eroded away for how good it is (they've had to cut away people partners and replace them with a nok-managerial role to save money). The aim of Tescos game has always been to cut as humanly possible from the bottom line workers to spread the wealth to a top few.

In my non-managerial role I'm paid more than an Area Manager and have 10,000 x less responsibilities and stress with better benefits, it says it all really.
:thumbup:

chris9997

Quote from: Hammer10 on 13-04-22, 12:43PM
They will run fine while you all are sitting in the offices doing your rotas all day lol.

chris9997

Quote from: servicegirl on 13-04-22, 12:27PM
So I'm a team manager and we are getting 4.5% bonus and staff are getting 1.25% bonus.. so a few years ago staff bonuses stopped and they were rewarded with over 10% pay rise over 18 months.. as a manager we got about 2% if that! When is the company going to recognise manager pay and give us a decent increase too. Soon the Staff will overtake us!! Talk is we are getting jack s*** this year?!!!!!  😡😡😡  Believe it or not a lot of managers work bloody hard and have so much to do behind the scenes that staff don't see. New management structure means our headcount of staff has increased and roles changing. We are still missing a shift leader in store and so managers are still picking up on average duty shifts of up to 10 hours a week but still expected to manage and be accountable for a large area as well as support the store daily. Any other managers feel like this?! We should strike if we get no pay increase!!! See how the bloody stores run then!
you forget that currantly GA s are just 5p over the NMW per hour and the 2 year deal was 10 % over 2 years with cut premiums prior to the axing of the sunday premium from double time ot eventualy time and qtr i am just £75 per month better off so the 10% going back to these times equates to .5%, so GA s aren ot better off.

VladPutin

Quote from: servicegirl on 13-04-22, 04:27PM
Never said it was unfair that the staff got 10% rise few years ago my post was about how unfairly managers pay rises have been in comparison. Will await news on our measly rise if anything. And as for sitting doing Rotas in an office that is part of our role in making sure departments are scheduled and we request hours to plan in over shortages on departments. That is one small part of the role and managers roles are so much more than this like I said staff don't see half of what we do!

That's because you spend half your time sitting in a nice comfy office. And the other half on an extended tea break. Meanwhile the CA's are run ragged trying fill their departments, support Dot Comedy and Checkouts, tip and fill wagons etc.

Your bloody lucky you've still got a job. Even the clowns at head office are starting to realise that a lot of the managers are dead weight. Eventually, there will a few senior posts like SM, TM etc, and everything else will be done by, "Team Support" for a fraction of manager's wages.

So dry your eyes, and enjoy the good times while they last. Because it's all downhill from here...  ;)

VladPutin

Quote from: Twinkletoes on 12-04-22, 06:51PM
Pay award has made morale in my store even more rock bottom.  Our stores a joke, nightshift are all waiting and hoping for redundancy since the store manager has run the supposed flagship store of Scotland into the ground.   Every night  fresh and grocery cages are left by the dozen, day shift are worse than useless and do even less than ever.

Of course they are; if they were willing and able to do real work, they wouldn't have gone on night shift to begin with. They're not going to switch from their nice cushy night shifts to actually grafting on twilight or Days.

Not that Days will notice much difference, since we end up having to deal with all the stock night's couldn't be bothered working. Bringing in the deliveries in the morning just cuts out the middleman.

spike_pkh

I love how these message boards are always CAs complaining about poor pay rises and benefit deals and then when managers get worse deals they are like "well that's what you get for being a manager".

Most the managers in our store work harder than most the CAs, I do feel for them as they try their best against the tough constraints Tesco puts them under. And then get vilified in posts on here for actually doing their job and not being a glorified CA for 9hrs a day.

I havent seen a post on here about what the manager pay rise will be this year so I am guessing it isn't released yet but if it isnt similar to our payrise then I do feel for the hardworking managers.

barafear

I'm not a manager and have no idea how their payrise works, but I thought I read somewhere that a managers payrise is linked to their performance.....something like 0 for red ( assuming they don't get demoted or sacked)...maybe 1% for Amber 2% for green and maybe 4% for blue. I might be making that up though. However, one thing I'm fairly certain about is I would be shocked if it matched the GA % increase......but they are due a bonus probably around 4.5% based on last 12 months

NightAndDay

Performance is a factor, but even red rated managers get a pay rise due to inflation, there has to be some incentive to get ahead in Tesco otherwise nobody will want to be promoted.

Morris999

Managers pay rise will come down for briefings from 9th may, however it won't be a flat % increase.
It will be individual to each manager depending on where they are on the pay banding and what they were given in their EoY review.

2 managers could both have got a Met Met but end up with totally different % increases depending on what they currently earn.
In effect the less you earn as a manager the higher the % increase.

madness

And zewro chance of getting anything near inflation or 5%.  Seeing as not a single line manager is an exceed ( how can you possibly exceed in this company)

Night Owl

The past 2 years as a long established manager in the middle of my pay band for my role l have received 2.5% salary increase each year, broadly in line with colleague wage rise. I now have a head count of 40 colleagues  recruitment & retention of colleagues is a ongoing issue in my store.
The company needs to recognise Team Managers as in our group retention of managers is a big problem, not only for Tesco but for all retailers looking at job vacancies on recruitment Web sites.
Yes a 4.5% bonus is very welcome, but it doesn't make up for all the unpaid hours l am expected
to do. My store is regularly unable to spend 200 hours a week, which has a massive effect on morale across the store. Colleagues on checkouts instead of filling, managers filling & unloading deliveries due to staff absence. Yet the SD says we have enough colleagues to fill the available hours. He doesn't understand that not every colleague on a 7.5 hour flexible contract  doesn't want 30+ hours a of overtime each week.
All l ask is for a comparable wage  rise to colleagues and the time to do the job l am managed on delivering.

BarryZola

If team & store managers across the country reported back to their superiors that all of the work that is expected to be done can't be done properly with the staff/hours available to them then something may eventually get done about it.

Instead, we have these parades where the regional bosses turn up to stores and the in store management kiss their a***s and pretend that the store is all nice and that they're doing a really great job. This is because the management are too scared to jeopardize their wonderful Tesco management careers by speaking up and telling the truth. Then management turn around afterwards and complain that they havn't got enough hours. We all know that there aren't enough hours. Nothing will change whilst managers don't have the guts to talk back to their superiors.

Everyone just plays the game like it's always been and then moans afterwards. It's just the way it is. If people don't like the game then they have the option to find employment elsewhere.

Mangomuncher

THIS THIS THIS!!!
I am a team manager. I regularly have feedback that my what is exceed but my how is not good because I challenge the status quo and say it as it is.

I tell my sm regular that he is delusional (politely) and he needs to understand with hours morale and circumstances some jobs aren't getting done ... simple ...

I get told regularly to scrap reviews/arns/ or training because the sd has turned up.... I refuse to reschedule it or abandon it because some high ivory tower pr*t has turned up.

I was training a new starter recently and sd shown up " need you to RUMBLE NOW " .... "NO I am training my new guy .... shop is what it is so tough maybe the sd needs to see that"

I was told once to hide all c**p in warehouse by lead and sm.... I point blank refused that also.... sd said he wasn't happy with warehouse.... well that's how it normally looks !!!

Needless to say my spineless store manager and leads just play that game gloss over cracks so tjey can keep their jobs....   Tesco is very toxic of this and highlighting addressing this toxicity has lead me to leave management in coming months ( finishing training for new job).

I think I am a rare breed ... and ALL the c.a tell me so .... "never see other managers..... your only manager who works etc....." and its true ...

From top to bottom they do the bare minimum... polish and hide cracks when sd shows up ...
And just "play that game" ....

I love my team and what I achieve .... but I hate the whole management culture ....
I have exceeded in every measure for years but as I refuse to play the politics and I directly challenge other managers for doing sweet f.a. I am punished.....

Glad I am escaping but genuinely feel for my team/colleagues that I will no longer be able to help.

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

NightAndDay

If anyone wants a management job outside of Retail, the expectations are very different, forecating of work, using various management tools to organise implementations, lots of meetings with consultants over side effects analysis, there's none of this "you have to be nasty to be a good manager" rubbish, real manager's capabilities are measured by their professionalism and technical and organisational skills.

In my white collar profession, we've found by and large that Retail Area managers and Retail Managers generally don't have the behaviours or the technical knowledge of management tools and processes to hold management jobs in the office.

The Area managers and SD really are just stuck in Retail, they'd have to be lucky to escape it. And it's precisely because of this that they shouldn't be considered managers or directors and they deserve no more respect than anyone else, nobody should bend the knee for anyone in Retail.

Batmanjo

Of course you work very hard, poor management being so hard done by. But of course management still get their bonus as long as they hit the stipulated targets where as GA's have lost their yearly shares bonus 3% so no matter what increase they get yearly they will always be at a loss. Keep up the hard work doing the rota's whilst everyone else does the hard graft.

Pmjd84

Quote from: Batmanjo on 14-04-22, 12:36PM

Of course you work very hard, poor management being so hard done by. But of course management still get their bonus as long as they hit the stipulated targets where as GA's have lost their yearly shares bonus 3% so no matter what increase they get yearly they will always be at a loss. Keep up the hard work doing the rota's whilst everyone else does the hard graft.

This is quite vile to read. I'm a GA and we have our fair share of useless managers in our store. But there's a few that work their arse off, staying well over their time, coming in unpaid on days where their department is short. Very disgusting grouping all managers together based on your own personal experiences.

NightAndDay

It's the cronyism at the top that has instilled this us vs them mentality between cas and managers, we're all just trying to make something of ourselves, the directors, C-suite and the board have got you exactly where tbey want you, oppressed and living in fear, remember, if Tesco could pay you less they would, they have paid less than the minimum wage before and will do so again, feigning a "technical issue" as justification.

When a crab is about to escape the bucket they're in, the other crabs try to drag them back down, this is exactly what they wanted to instill in all of you, their aims are nefarious, they want the UK to be so dependent on them that they would in effect be above the law by virtue of economic dependence. At which point, the CEO will have no problem not paying anyone and shooting people as a performance incentive.

Being a manager at Tesco is not a good job (unless you're a senior lead manager or superstore store manager and above). CAs shouldn't aspire to be one and they should not hold a grudge towards anyone holding the position.

lackofinterest

Quote from: BarryZola on 14-04-22, 08:12AM
If team & store managers across the country reported back to their superiors that all of the work that is expected to be done can't be done properly with the staff/hours available to them then something may eventually get done about it.

Instead, we have these parades where the regional bosses turn up to stores and the in store management kiss their a***s and pretend that the store is all nice and that they're doing a really great job. This is because the management are too scared to jeopardize their wonderful Tesco management careers by speaking up and telling the truth. Then management turn around afterwards and complain that they havn't got enough hours. We all know that there aren't enough hours. Nothing will change whilst managers don't have the guts to talk back to their superiors.

Everyone just plays the game like it's always been and then moans afterwards. It's just the way it is. If people don't like the game then they have the option to find employment elsewhere.
nail on head :thumbup:

lackofinterest

Quote from: Mangomuncher on 14-04-22, 09:30AM
THIS THIS THIS!!!
I am a team manager. I regularly have feedback that my what is exceed but my how is not good because I challenge the status quo and say it as it is.

I tell my sm regular that he is delusional (politely) and he needs to understand with hours morale and circumstances some jobs aren't getting done ... simple ...

I get told regularly to scrap reviews/arns/ or training because the sd has turned up.... I refuse to reschedule it or abandon it because some high ivory tower pr*t has turned up.

I was training a new starter recently and sd shown up " need you to RUMBLE NOW " .... "NO I am training my new guy .... shop is what it is so tough maybe the sd needs to see that"

I was told once to hide all c**p in warehouse by lead and sm.... I point blank refused that also.... sd said he wasn't happy with warehouse.... well that's how it normally looks !!!

Needless to say my spineless store manager and leads just play that game gloss over cracks so tjey can keep their jobs....   Tesco is very toxic of this and highlighting addressing this toxicity has lead me to leave management in coming months ( finishing training for new job).

I think I am a rare breed ... and ALL the c.a tell me so .... "never see other managers..... your only manager who works etc....." and its true ...

From top to bottom they do the bare minimum... polish and hide cracks when sd shows up ...
And just "play that game" ....

I love my team and what I achieve .... but I hate the whole management culture ....
I have exceeded in every measure for years but as I refuse to play the politics and I directly challenge other managers for doing sweet f.a. I am punished.....

Glad I am escaping but genuinely feel for my team/colleagues that I will no longer be able to help.

Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).
i agree mate. it's mainly the senior team manager and sm that lick sd's arse. they are frightened to death of thier superiors and don't want to lose their bonuses. i've said for years these ivory towers arseholes should turn up unannounced!

penguin

Quote from: BarryZola on 14-04-22, 08:12AM

Plenty have done and its got them nowhere, well apart from most cases a one way ticket out the door. Some of the common replies from those above store level "other people can do it so why not you"  "I did it 20 years ago in a superstore so do not tell me you cannot do it in an express"  "This will come up on your next review, you are showing an incorrect attitude" "Either do the job or I will find someone else to do it" etc etc.

Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lackofinterest

Quote from: Pmjd84 on 14-04-22, 02:52PM
Quote from: Batmanjo on 14-04-22, 12:36PM
Never said it was unfair that the staff got 10% rise few years ago my post was about how unfairly managers pay rises have been in comparison. Will await news on our measly rise if anything. And as for sitting doing Rotas in an office that is part of our role in making sure departments are scheduled and we request hours to plan in over shortages on departments. That is one small part of the role and managers roles are so much more than this like I said staff don%u2019t see half of what we do!

This is quite vile to read. I%u2019m a GA and we have our fair share of useless managers in our store. But there%u2019s a few that work their arse off, staying well over their time, coming in unpaid on days where their department is short. Very disgusting grouping all managers together based on your own personal experiences.
more fool them who come in to work for no pay. they're their own worst enemy. tosco love these mugs

Modena

All they have done is give back the money they took off the drivers 4 years ago so thank you tesco.

Modena

Green on everything except would colleague's recommend as a good place to work which will remain red tesco, are you listening.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk