News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:44PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 281
Total: 284

Absence policy

Started by btblackbird, 21-11-23, 11:03AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btblackbird

Hi all does anyone know if you need to have your Attendance review meeting within 7 days of your welcome back meeting. My welcome back meeting was 9 days ago. Am i right in thinking if it wasn't then it's out of process? and /or do they conduct ARMs after long term sick? Thanks in advance

chris9997

your welcome back meeting has no real timescale but should really be done before you resume work on that shift (otherwise the question of "are you fit to return to work" is rather pointless)
 the time scale is in relation to your work it has to be done within 7 days of return (eg return on tuesday arm done by monday following within process done after monday this is then out of process.
Also an arm can not be started and ajorned to keep it in process.
Long term sickness i believe is not included but this should be checked.

btblackbird

Thanks for the quick response, welcome back meeting was conducted on first day back it's the ARM that's not been completed yet.

JJH

I believe it can still be conducted but an absence warning cannot be given

madness

Maybe a ARM isn't required if you were off less than 3 times or less than the % allowed.

lucgeo

If it's over the 7 day timescale then it's declared "out of process, no further action"  as chris9997 has stated.

This absence cannot then be included in any future absence % calculation or considered in an ARM meeting for up scaling a disciplinary.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Rambo1987

Quote from: btblackbird on 21-11-23, 11:03AMHi all does anyone know if you need to have your Attendance review meeting within 7 days of your welcome back meeting. My welcome back meeting was 9 days ago. Am i right in thinking if it wasn't then it's out of process? and /or do they conduct ARMs after long term sick? Thanks in advance
It would depend on your shift pattern and if you had holidays ect in during this period but generally yes should be done within 7 days of returning or 8 days for a 1 day a week worker. An ARM can be conducted after long term absence if the manager feels it appropriate.

madness

If you are off with a serious medical problem or an issue that might affect your ability to work then the meeting is to see if any adjustments are needed or support to help you back to work. Surprise surprise Tesco want you at work
If you were off with hangover, too tired from going out last night and then a cold/flu the fact the latest absence was non self inflicted absense will not help in the arm.

oldfashionedplayer

That's why it's best not to post about going out / say your hung over or whatever  :D better to just say youve had a bad bug or something you aren't allowed to work with in the diseases policy area.  8-)

chris9997

the sickness policy has been ammended fairly recently n that if a person goes off sick and is the first sickness period in the preceding 26 weeks with a good record then an arm is not required, ( please check with the union for the nuts and bolts of the overall change before you dispute any ARM with MM, i think it was in the usdaw reps newdletter around jan 23)

surlaroute

they'll find a way and if they don't like you they'll find another way.

btblackbird

Thank you everyone for all the info.

madness

Quote from: chris9997 on 26-11-23, 11:35PMthe sickness policy has been ammended fairly recently n that if a person goes off sick and is the first sickness period in the preceding 26 weeks with a good record then an arm is not required, ( please check with the union for the nuts and bolts of the overall change before you dispute any ARM with MM, i think it was in the usdaw reps newdletter around jan 23)
Its been that way for a long time to be honest. not just a by the numbers we had no choice.
Ie clean 26 weeks but 4% recent absense the manager can make the decesion not to take it any further.

chris9997

Quote from: madness on 27-11-23, 08:26PM
Quote from: chris9997 on 26-11-23, 11:35PMthe sickness policy has been ammended fairly recently n that if a person goes off sick and is the first sickness period in the preceding 26 weeks with a good record then an arm is not required, ( please check with the union for the nuts and bolts of the overall change before you dispute any ARM with MM, i think it was in the usdaw reps newdletter around jan 23)
Its been that way for a long time to be honest. not just a by the numbers we had no choice.
Ie clean 26 weeks but 4% recent absense the manager can make the decesion not to take it any further.
The difference being that it has now offically not included and not down to if the manager decides that it is needed/not needed, so takes away the choice from poor MM practise.

madness

Quote from: chris9997 on 28-11-23, 08:49AM
Quote from: madness on 27-11-23, 08:26PM
The difference being that it has now offically not included and not down to if the manager decides that it is needed/not needed, so takes away the choice from poor MM practise.
The issue with that is everyone complains about systems that are automatic and have no human decesion making in them when there are clearly stupid rules getting followed.
Bear in mind this site is where everyone comes to moan and gripe about bad things that have happened to them, very few instances of "my manager was understanding, my manager supported me, my manager gave me the benefit of the doubt etc.
Whats the old saying about a restaurant. You will tell 1 person about a good experience but 10 about a bad one.

surlaroute

Quote from: madness on 29-11-23, 01:30PMWhats the old saying about a restaurant. You will tell 1 person about a good experience but 10 about a bad one.
if that's how this site works we're completely lost. what an awful way to abandon the world. don't bother complaining about something that's genuinely ruining the world because at the end of the day you're just a statistic. why are you even here.

Morrissey1912

I rely on public transport to get to work and on boxing day there is none im my area.Now I live over 20 miles from my store and a night shift worker.I have offered to work another shift but they have said I have to come in or face a let's talk and god knows what else.is this unreasonable

rupert7

shame on the big mighty tesco for not following other supermarkets and not stay shut on boxing day,do the right thing by giving all staff that one extra day off. (-*-)

Hammer10

They will say you can book it off.I think that's why bakeries are no longer open on Boxing Day and New Year's Day because no one would work it.

Sherwoodforest

@morrissey if you have a good absence history what is 1 lets talk going to do?the reason for absence if you ring in is,no transport available to get you to work which is a valid reason,you could tell your manager you,l ask the store manager for it off,sure they wouldnt like store manager getting involved
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

biggerpicture

I would speak with your union rep.

madness

I would plan a bit better ahead seeing as you could have booked boxing day as a day off much earlier in the year.

lucgeo

@Morrissey1912...Check your written contract ???

Day shop workers have it written in their contracts that no colleague, irrelevant of position,HAVE to work Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day...it's voluntarily.

Unsure of night workers agreement, but check your contract.

Failing that...ask for a 121 meeting with your manager and put in writing that you are willing to do an alternative shift, are willing to work Boxing Day, but public transport is unavailable. Then the onus goes onto your manager to either arrange transport for you, or the time off!

Get the managers response in writing, and ask them to sign your 2 written offers to work alternative...dated...and clearly marked as COPY...you keep original!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

oldfashionedplayer

the days for nights are going INTO, so 24th into 25th, and 25th into 26th, Boxing day is classed as a normal working day, the christmas people guide however does specify an important bit of information which is:

"Colleagues should be able to get a three day break if they wish to, and can also request through their line manager to take this at another time (for example end of January)."

So may be worth raising that, you can find it on tesco help, not colleague help but could also raise it on colleague help as a query to then take to your management.

Personally If you have no transport you should be able to work either closer or a different shift to be honest as a reasonable adjustment as another alternative, but you should also be able to have it as the "three day break" entitlement.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk