Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

23-04-24, 04:07PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,400
  • Total Topics: 637
  • Online today: 251
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 228
Total: 233

How much do other supermarkets earn?

Started by eversor, 04-03-22, 06:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

expresscoop

East of England Coop is 9.01 atm and rises to 9.55 in april.

expresscoop

Quote from: Kieth_Lemon on 04-03-22, 03:47PM
add to the list Coop £9.90 from 1st April

main store coop only, not East of England (9.55 in April)

Bakersdozen

Quote from: Lee2021 on 04-03-22, 08:35PM
I work Sundays..  when we changed from time 1/2 and went time 1/4 I was hardly any better off including the new pay rise. If we lose all Sunday premiums this time do you think they will say the same thing that I'm better off? albeit not by the full rise again.

Same here, was an absolute kick in the guts, atleast pay us 2 years difference if they take away the last nugget of premium we have.

Bakersdozen

Another angle on this guys is Any bonus schemes other supermarkets offer.

Everyone forgets how the union negotiated away our bonus for a 'great'  new pay deal, fast forward and we will be on minimum wage with no bonus. Tesco wonders why they have recruitment and retention problems, low pay, zero hour contracts/ flexi. Absolute shambles to the tesco of 15 years ago.

If you take away our Sunday premium pay contracted staff 2 years the difference, increase the wage to £10, bring back a bonus in success based on individual performance but pay it at Christmas, A Christmas bonus would go a long way to most staff and would probably be spent straight back into the business not to mention increasing moral & reliving some stress at a busy time.

These are things that make staff appreciate working for a supermarket, and also not next October, bring this into effect early summer at least.

Paulie

Why would you suggest taking away another premium? Once the subtract this, we will be in same position two years time on minimum wage with no premium or bonuses.

BUY TESLA STOCK

I heard when they have to shell out for the equal pay claim no one will get paid that month.   (-*-)

stockcontroller

I left Tesco at the stock control cull but I've been viewing here to see what other reforms Tesco have taken and I laugh at certain members that still defend Tesco as a company. Surely no one still stays at Tesco for a career?

lucgeo

I think Tesco lost a lot of loyalty from the staff when they took everyone for idiots, the pay rise a few years ago, stating up to 10 %, included a predictive discount card allowance, telling everyone that they got so much discount perks on their shopping per year  ??? ??? I, as a part timer, would have not received any pay, as the predictive discount spend, was more than my annual wage  :-X :-X

I don't miss working for Tesco since being made redundant, once you move away from the toxic environment that you've become used to, you realise how you've been gaslighted daily by the unscrupulous rules imposed by most managers, the accepted norm!

I had a chance of transferring to another dept...until I spoke with their section manager regarding "her rules" for her team, that they worked together to cover bank holidays, Xmas, hospital appointments etc...and to check the diary two weeks in advance to see if your shifts had been changed  ??? They were all on fixed permanent contracts  :o

After querying her rules against policy...I reported her to the PP and happily walked out...FREE. :)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Bakersdozen

Quote from: Paulie on 19-03-22, 11:56PM
Why would you suggest taking away another premium? Once the subtract this, we will be in same position two years time on minimum wage with no premium or bonuses.

Because its inevitable that they will, however if those that are contracted to those Sunday shifts get compensated well then fair enough, last time they took the quarter away we weren't and it was a kick to the guts for those of us that have given up on our family day for years not to be.

chris9997

Quote from: Bakersdozen on 19-03-22, 08:33PM
Another angle on this guys is Any bonus schemes other supermarkets offer.

Everyone forgets how the union negotiated away our bonus for a 'great'  new pay deal, fast forward and we will be on minimum wage with no bonus. Tesco wonders why they have recruitment and retention problems, low pay, zero hour contracts/ flexi. Absolute shambles to the tesco of 15 years ago.

If you take away our Sunday premium pay contracted staff 2 years the difference, increase the wage to £10, bring back a bonus in success based on individual performance but pay it at Christmas, A Christmas bonus would go a long way to most staff and would probably be spent straight back into the business not to mention increasing moral & reliving some stress at a busy time.

These are things that make staff appreciate working for a supermarket, and also not next October, bring this into effect early summer at least.
paying a bonus to staff based on performance at ga level would not work as if the store was doing poorly sales wise then the bonus would not be paid all staff would not meet the criteria for it.

BUY TESLA STOCK

They should pay by the case for night fillers.

NorthernJ

Great way to end up with even less rotation than there currently is  8-)

oldfashionedplayer

To be fair probably only ones that do rotate 😂, but we do need to be paid more thsts for sure, more in line / better than others

Duff McKagan

Quote from: BUY TESLA STOCK on 21-03-22, 12:19AM
They should pay by the case for night fillers.

There would be some very poor people in my store I can tell you.
In reality though where do you stop with that? Is it harder work to put out 100 cases of crisps than it is to put out 75 cases of tinned vegetables? No...crisps are easy, very light etc...tins are heavier so in my opinion the tins are more work than the crisps....but if we paid by the case the crisp filler would be paid more for less work...it's just something that wouldn't work because we aren't comparing apples with apples.

lordadmiral

About 15 yrs ago I worked with guy who worked for Tesco in Poland. He said he had to fill specific aisles per night. I do not remember what he was paid but as he had to fill two aisles in one night within his 8 hour shift (example value: £100 per shift, £50 per aisle). The sooner he finished the task the better as he could choose, to go home early and keep full pay or pick up third aisle and earn more money. He said that if he fnished his original job in 6 hours he was usually picking third aisle. If he spent 3h filling third aisle his pay was £50 more (based o example value above). This way by working one hour longer than he was contracted to, he was making 50% more.
Truth is that it is possible to implement performance related pay.

madness

re above no its not, as then you dont do any cleaning, no helping customers and certainly, most importantly date rotation would not happen.

barafear

Tesco want to go down the Aldi/Lidl (or even Jacks!) route of minimal time/effort in displaying stock - I noticed in another local Tesco yesterday that Hula Hoops (6 pack) were on the shelf in their original box - clearly, if everything can just be pulled from the warehouse on a forklift and plonked on the floor on pallets, then so much quicker and easier - this is all about putting the effort the way of the customer -

in European supermarkets, where they sell drinks singularly (but from a "multipack") - they're just left on the pallet and its up to customers to deal with it themselves- pull open the cellophane etc.

Already, Tesco UK are doing that to a certain extent:

1) Scan as you shop.
2) Self Service checkouts - time for my little moan on this subject - I know this isn't a "major" issue - but so annoying to see - generally when I'm shopping in other Tesco shops (As I don't work on self serve in my own Tesco) - there's a "type" of self serve shopper who thinks/believes the bags for life are free - they do everything they can to just "steal" them. Clearly, they are practiced in it - clearly they've been caught out before by just grabbing one and starting to pack - and then setting off the weight sensor - so generally they scan their shopping - pay for their shopping (I guess we should be grateful for that) and then grab the bag and pack - no attempt to pay for bag(s). Virtually everytime I go shopping and pay at self serve I see the same thing - to be fair, occasionally (maybe 20%) I do see diligent people pay - and occasionally I see the staff member encourage/remind the customer to scan the bag - and to be fair, for the sake of 20p and the staff member working on NLW (and covering 8+ tills sometimes on their own - I'm not blaming the staff here) - just society/customers in general - clearly, there's a certain "type" of customer who uses self serve anyway - and clearly they feel by doing their own scanning that they have earned at least 20p for a bag!
3) Queuing at tills changing from one in front to a "timed response" - no more time for cashiers to chat or to help with packing - or at least that's the "implied" reasons for this change in policy.

BUY TESLA STOCK

"putting effort way of customer"

what nonsense a customer can just sit on the phone and get shopping delivered 

helpme

I moved from DotCom to Sainsburys in January. I now earn £11.50 an hour doing the same job but with far less hassle and stress while those I left behind are on £10.23 and always look as miserable as sin.

Modena

That's right 60p more than us drivers at tesco good luck to you.

Prince of Darkness

Hourly rate isn't the whole deal.

I put in a few bob over five years into SAYE share schemes up to two years ago. Came out £6k in profit. I'm in another scheme now which is looking similar atm. Agreed, it's a staff retention scheme as it's hard to walk away from, but it's tax free. Don't always think to the end of next week.

barafear

Problem with what you described is that firstly people need to be able afford a few bob in the first place. Given the low pay, the lack of permanent FT contracts and the cost of living, that is very hard if not impossible to achieve. As for making a 6k profit from a few bob, clearly your definition of a few bob might differ from others.

Also, not sure where the tax free bit comes from. Please explain.

Prince of Darkness

The gain on the shares is tax free. You can take a profit of up to £12,300 each year tax free if you sell as I did, or you can transfer the shares to an ISA within six months, and keep all the dividends and future capital gains tax free.

I was lucky to be able to afford to put in what I did, but the same percentage profit would have been there for anyone doing the same but with less original investment. It's still a profit. I don't smoke and I don't go to Costa in my break (we have one under the same roof). I probably save at least £25.00 a week compared to the guys that pick up a coffee to take outside for a fag break. I know many can't afford that either.

NightAndDay

You can receive up to £2,000 a tear tax free in dividends, CGT is separate. So if you are earning more than £2,000 a year in dividends from the shares you own, you're best off transferring those shares to an ISA. Otherwise (for me anyway) I would pay 39.35% tax on anything above.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk