Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:35PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 280
Total: 282

Do we still Get paid for isolating?

Started by person7, 20-07-21, 02:10PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btblackbird

My question is if you are off sick with positive covid whether paid or not does it count as period of absence for percentage purposes and therefore being over percentage rate would a ARM meeting take place? and can it be used against you?

barafear

I'm fairly certain that since the advice/policy changed a few weeks ago, any current/future Covid related absence is just normal absence and does count towards your % and could lead to an ARM.

oldfashionedplayer

policy did change as of 27th and 30th April, the Q&A is still relevant, (see help section) and yes it follows normal sickness absence review, meaning you can be brought in for it for your %

NO Colleagues are ALLOWED to work while positive, Colleagues who are POSITIVE are to be treated in line with the Back to Work procedure which is

"16. Should we be allowing a colleague to return to work where we know they are infectious? 

As an employer we have a duty of care under the Health & Safety At Work Act to ensure the health and safety and welfare of our employees so far as it is reasonably practicable. Our colleagues also have duties to each other under that act to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and to other colleagues who may be affected by their acts, and to cooperate with their employer to ensure that those duties are complied with.

We are now explicitly calling out on our return-to-work form declaration that a colleague who has an infectious disease means that they are not fit for work, and we expect colleagues to be truthful about this. If we believe that a colleague has infectious condition the manager is within their rights to instruct a colleague not to attend the workplace until they are well enough and no longer pose a risk to the safety of others.  "

So you wont get paid from day 1 unless youve been here for a long time, you'll face the 3 day waiting period, but better to be off and not infect others to be honest.

btblackbird

So basically you are not allowed to go into work if you have positive covid but can be disciplined for being off. How does that work? Surely you could claim mitigating circumstances if they want to use percentage rules?

oldfashionedplayer

Yep, you aren't allowed to work, but don't need to isolate (but should), and you can be disciplined for being off,  that's Tesco in a nutshell.

barafear

This still goes back to my "initial" (well a couple of days ago) query over "you only know you're positive if you take a test" - and unless you have a stash of tests saved up, you have to pay to take a test?

In terms of "colleagues looking after themselves and others" (or words to that effect in the updated policy) - in reality how does one read this - we hear that the recent spike in infections has been (in part) attributed to Glastonbury (and other such events) - therefore, surely by attending these events, a member of staff has not "looked after themselves"?

This all comes down to how one thinks of Covid - if the official Govt advice (let's not get political - but by the time I post this message we might not have a Govt) is that Covid should be treated like a cold/flu - then that's how we should be - if one has a cold/flu or any other bacterial/viral infection - then they are "infectious" and should stay away from the workplace (this applies to all workplaces - not just Tesco) - but pre-Covid, we know that this did not happen - people would go into work and dose up on tablets etc. - obviously employers who don't pay sick pay from day 1 "encourage" this to happen - and clearly now in the current cost of living crisis, I cannot believe that anyone (if money was tight - and for the most part if people are working for Tesco on not much about NLW - then money probably is tight) would voluntarily stay home and not earn anything for their first three contracted days (which in reality might stretch to 6 or 7 days) UNLESS they did actually feel really ill.
Of course, if people get the flu, then they can also feel really ill.

I'm rambling a bit (again) but hope you get the drift.

PS: I know some people might reply stating that as a "good citizen" you shouldn't be spreading it - but by the same argument, you should be continuing to avoid all social contact (events/gigs/festivals/busy pubs/restaurants/public transport) in the first place.

oldfashionedplayer

I thought I posted a responses to yours but it seems it didn't post

I mainly said about that for me personally I was off recently with covid, I had only been out to work for the very few days that I work, and when calling was told "we have X amount of people in with it already, it's fine to work", said screw that it says to stay off in policies and I'd return when I'm negative.

So for me it's likely that I got it from work being that I nor family had been out, we tend to be quite couped up with movies and games and stockpile stuff, so to blame it on Glastonbury is a bit obsurd etc, since the infection rate was 1 in 20 before that and at current is 1 in 30.

lackofinterest

in my case if i felt ill i'd stay off. if i felt ok i'd go in

Tesla

You are lucky to even have a job Tesco Renfield street is now closed for good. Shrink was too high. More stores to follow with the increasing costs of basic essentials. Nightshift cuts soon too follow.

UnhappyChappy

Quote from: lackofinterest on 07-07-22, 10:36PMin my case if i felt ill i'd stay off. if i felt ok i'd go in
So you'd happily go to work knowing you could spread it and potentially kill someone?

I get it, the vaccines are working, the flu kills people and we can't go on forever living in a bubble, blah, blah, blah, etc,  but we got into this prolonged mess because of most of the country behaving with this attitude.

"I don't feel sick", "I'm not wearing a mask", "I had it, it was only a cold".

Still winds me up!!!

I knew multiple people who died with it, some with no underlying health issues, fit as a fiddle.

Sorry for the rant.

Great first post  ???

lackofinterest

If I didn't feel ill I wouldn't know I had it would I ? or do you expect me to have a test every day in case one day it's positive ? 

UnhappyChappy

Please do not quote immediately prior post(s). VLH Administrator.

Your comment comes across as if you knew you had Covid.
If you were ill you'd be off, if no symptoms you'd go in anyway.

My apologies for the confusion, but unfortunately more than half the people in the warehouse I work in have that attitude.

barafear

This does seem to be a subject that can easily lead to disagreements and vastly differing points of view. And now that we are told there is a "spike" in infections again (and yes the news does state that there were many positive tests from people that went to Glastonbury) some people are getting worried again (each person is entitled to their view and people like unhappychappy will know people who have died as a result of it - so yes it still does have bad consequences).

However, it is down to individuals now to act in the best way that suits them - however, the state will no longer be paying you to make that choice. So if you want to stay off work - that's fine - you just won't get sick pay. If you want to avoid going out where you're likely to encounter large crowds, then stay in - and with this scenario, it's likely it will actually save you some money. If you want to wear a mask when you work, or when you are on a bus or when you are walking down the street, then do so. But just as people shouldn't castigate you for wearing a mask - equally people that choose to wear a mask no longer have a "right" to complain about people not wearing masks, or not maintaining distance (albeit invading someone's personal space with no good reason is and always has been wrong).

Should people come to work if they have symptoms of Covid? Well - that's the question - people are "advised to take a test" - but if they have to pay for it, they might choose not to take a test - or equally, they could just go to work (assuming their symptoms are not too bad) - and if colleagues/managers say anything, simply say - I've taken tests, they're all negative - it's "just" a cold/flu.

I'm not trying to play it down - I'm just saying it as I see it - this is how things are.

londoner83

For years pre-covid some people would struggle into work with a cold/flu and do their best to deliver whilst others would willingly pick up the phone and take a week off sick to recover.

The situation with covid is now largely the same.

Firstly with the cost of living crisis many can't even afford to test & legally there is no requirement to do so. Secondly very few people are now being hospitalised or dying from covid. The possibility of passing it on to a colleague/customer and making them extremely unwell is in the vast majority of cases very unlikely. Finally many only have mild symptoms and don't want to take time off unpaid.

I fully understand everyone is entitled to their views but mine are  we can't carry on hiding away from a risk that is now for most of us minimal. Every action in life carries a risk, however how many never drive, fly, do sports etc due to  the slim chance you may die as a result.

Tinkerbell1234

Sorry off topic not sure what to do if a manager is fiddling payroll, colleague getting paid overtime and not doing overtime and colleague sick and manually clocking them in.  There is a lot of favouritism going on which colleagues see and other colleagues process is followed, any advice.

BritishRacingGreen

Advice Tinks? I'd be very careful what I put into print on a public forum.

Sherwoodforest

If your stores like mine,cctv everywhere,it proves who is in and who is not,protector line is a confidential hotline,if your in a big store,and that manager not involved in forum,put an anonymous concern in forum box,let the cat amongest the pigeons
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Redshoes

Quote from: Tinkerbell1234 on 10-07-22, 11:58AMSorry off topic not sure what to do if a manager is fiddling payroll, colleague getting paid overtime and not doing overtime and colleague sick and manually clocking them in.  There is a lot of favouritism going on which colleagues see and other colleagues process is followed, any advice.

If this is fact it will soon be found out. The stores are running light on all Depts and shifts need to be filled. I fail to see how any dept can afford to do this. After hearing rumours that do go round in stores I do question it. I have seen a sacking over one colleague clocking another out after they left 15 mins early, if this is fact the manager concerned will be lucky to keep their.

Preacherpauly

We had someone come in with covid not so long ago and ended up going off sick a day after but not before passing it around and taking a few members off with them for a week. Tesco policy makes people come in because they need to be paid especially in these times with cost of living but this one person caused others to lose money.

How is that right or fair.

Sherwoodforest

Tesco don't make you come in with anything contagious, you're supposed to stay off.  You wouldn't come to work with Ebola.
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

oldfashionedplayer

It doesn't make them come in, you just don't get paid, it's people's choice to go in and infect others... policy clearly states that colleagues are not allowed to work with Covid due to work and safety guidelines to protect colleagues and customers...

contagious disease  (e.g Coronavirus) means NOT FIT FOR WORK according to the back to work forms.

NightAndDay

Next month we'll see Tesco fall far behind, along with the other supermarkets on the real living wage again, the difference is though that the other supermarkets will match it again at least before March next year, Tesco likes to drag it out for another 3/4 months before matching the competitors.

FarmerFred

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 24-08-22, 04:40PMIt doesn't make them come in, you just don't get paid, it's people's choice to go in and infect others... policy clearly states that colleagues are not allowed to work with Covid due to work and safety guidelines to protect colleagues and customers...

contagious disease  (e.g Coronavirus) means NOT FIT FOR WORK according to the back to work forms.
It's people's choice to go to work with an infectious disease or to go hungry and have bailiffs knocking at the door...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk