Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

02-10-22, 04:25AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 30,996
  • Total Topics: 569
  • Online today: 47
  • Online ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Taking part in Zoom calls on days off

Started by Prince of Darkness, 15-09-22, 04:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince of Darkness

I'm a Checkouts Team Support. Been asked to attend an hour-long Zoom call on my day off. Only two options - both on my day off. No option to attend one on my contracted days or to watch a recording at a convenient time(ie in work time).

Anyone else in a similar situation? I can't imagine I can be forced to do it?

5fdp

What i would say is that if you can't come up with a solution to this, your in the wrong job.

trolley monkey

Tell 'em to sling their hook, in the nicest possible way.

person7

I would ask your manager:

 "is this zoom meeting a requirement? if so, I assume I will get fully paid for this meeting?" if he/she says no - then don't bother// basically if its your day off make sure they pay you for overtime

lucgeo

So here's the conversation...

"can you attend a Zoom call on your day off."

"No sorry I have made plans for the day"

"What plans?"

"Plans"

Can't you change them?"

"No, as I've stated they've been arranged for my day off"...end of conversation

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Cartmanbra

To be fair. You should be looking to rearrange your shifts to accommodate..... with the correct notice.

Sherwoodforest

#6
To be fair you'd have thought checkout manager would have sorted it, so to be fair read the team supports post before commenting, to be fair that is.

lucgeo

Nothing in Cartmanbra's post makes any sense...to be fair  :D  :D

Incidentally if Prince of Darkness is cajoled into going instore to attend this Zoom call, they are paid or get the time owed back, from the moment they leave home to the moment they return, plus travel expenses to and from store!
They also need to sign in and out and not clock, as they are on company business.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

oldfashionedplayer

if you are required to attend a meeting, you'd be classed as "on call" and as such should be paid for that up to and including it, since you can't make other arrangements..

as lucgeo said, best process is "plans", "private plans" you are entitled to rest breaks from work, training is supposed to be done during work time, if its required for your job, it should be paid and not done at home, so don't fall for that one too :)

Preacherpauly

This company takes the mick. They've even started asking if you can do your training at home and they'll pay hours OT. Days off are your time.

BritishRacingGreen

I prefer to do any training required at home. I don't see it as a problem.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

fatlad

I was quite happy to do my training at home when i was offered 1 hours overtime to do it, that was until I received my payslip & hadn't been paid for it....never again  >:(

lucgeo

#13
Quote from: BritishRacingGreen on 19-09-22, 06:28PMI prefer to do any training required at home. I don't see it as a problem.

Really ??? Then you are probably new, either as a manager or a wannabe manager!

All training should be done during your shift and signed off by your manager as having done ✅ it's all very well doing it online as recognised with your sign on for having been done, but it takes away the surety of understanding the training, as from my recollection, it's was just a case of going back and guessing the right answer until you achieved the acceptable score, which was below 100%  ???
If serious errors are committed at a later date, you've given up your defence of ignorance, as you've signed yourself off as being trained and fully understanding the rules!

Not everyone can do training at home, either by not having the tools to do the job, to not having the time! By making it acceptable from colleagues like yourself, it becomes the normal practice!

If you're denied doing your normal duties, working from home, then you can't be expected to undertake the training at home either :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

FarmerFred

Doing it in store is no better than at home because you see exactly the same material, but you have the distraction of the sod awful radio club card or managers distracting you, assuming you can get access to a computer or tablet that actually works. If you have to ask a manager for something you don't understand then they give you the answer anyway which is no better than guessing. With the legal and compliance refreshers you only get so many attempts before being locked out anyway.

Sherwoodforest

Training is bull anyway,just done alot of mine at work,training says feedback low stocks,overstocks for waste,stock control broken already as not seen osi in 2 months,gap scan never done properly,fresh stock control in our store was a joke,in 11 years not seen anyone look for gaps,saturday night i was on warehouse,day manager said warehouse full because of rsu,well no,training says break your card down,its full because colkegues not challenged to break it down,

lucgeo

It's irrelevant whether the material is the same instore V's at home! Workplace training should be done in the workplace! The store is allocated hours for that training, and manager hours allotted for the training. If you haven't the tools for the job, I.e. tablets, computer and a quiet room to do the training in, then they are obliged to provide these! They won't if you don't ask! Also no training should be done on a closed off checkout on the shop floor either! With the constant distraction from customers and other colleagues :thumbdown:

People moan that the union are not strong enough and don't have the workers interests at heart! They complain the partnership agreement has eroded over the years, but then that is partly due to the complacency of colleagues. They had a choice to vote on the loss of striking rights in stores, but few bothered! Now everyone is blaming the union for this loss ???

We've had colleagues on here, blatantly having their rights ignored, agreements broken by the management because nobody will question or stand up for their rights! Union reps stand down, but nobody steps up to take the baton! Colleagues continually moan about problems instore, yet come the forum, they've conveniently forgotten what they were raising the roof about to their rep, only weeks before..."oh I'll leave it for now"..." I don't want to cause any trouble!"
Well listen up people...the rep isn't PAID any more than you! They're not paid to represent you, giving up their free time to come in as you're chosen rep, because you've decided their best at it, and it's your RIGHT to have a rep of your choice! They can't shoot your bullets for you! Thinking you've complained to them, for them to take your complaint forward without you being involved or named isn't how it works. The rep is there to support you, but any complaint must come from you, they can't encourage you to bring an initial complaint or grievance!
Every colleague has a right to a voice, but some think they're ventriloquists and the rep is the dummy, so it's not really them complaining :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: lucgeo on 20-09-22, 08:55AM
Quote from: BritishRacingGreen on 19-09-22, 06:28PMI prefer to do any training required at home. I don't see it as a problem.

Really ??? Then you are probably new, either as a manager or a wannabe manager!

All training should be done during your shift and signed off by your manager as having done ✅ it's all very well doing it online as recognised with your sign on for having been done, but it takes away the surety of understanding the training, as from my recollection, it's was just a case of going back and guessing the right answer until you achieved the acceptable score, which was below 100%  ???
If serious errors are committed at a later date, you've given up your defence of ignorance, as you've signed yourself off as being trained and fully understanding the rules!

Not everyone can do training at home, either by not having the tools to do the job, to not having the time! By making it acceptable from colleagues like yourself, it becomes the normal practice!

If you're denied doing your normal duties, working from home, then you can't be expected to undertake the training at home either :-X
Wrong on all counts.
It's a matter of personal choice - pure and simple ... Oh, and no guessing involved - but thank you for your concern.

lucgeo

WOW,! I hope they haven't broken the mould  :o
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Cartmanbra

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 20-09-22, 09:55AMTraining is bull anyway,just done alot of mine at work,training says feedback low stocks,overstocks for waste,stock control broken already as not seen osi in 2 months,gap scan never done properly,fresh stock control in our store was a joke,in 11 years not seen anyone look for gaps,saturday night i was on warehouse,day manager said warehouse full because of rsu,well no,training says break your card down,its full because colkegues not challenged to break it down,

Any chance you can write this in english?

Cartmanbra

Quote from: lucgeo on 16-09-22, 07:37PMNothing in Cartmanbra's post makes any sense...to be fair  :D  :D

Incidentally if Prince of Darkness is cajoled into going instore to attend this Zoom call, they are paid or get the time owed back, from the moment they leave home to the moment they return, plus travel expenses to and from store!
They also need to sign in and out and not clock, as they are on company business.

The guy/girl is team support. They should be able to manage own shift I.e. if a meeting is to take place and given enough notice then rearrange your shift. Of cause that's up to them but a team LEADER would be leading by example. If this team lead is already responsible for the rota then it's an obvious answer. If they are not organising department rota then they should consider themselves lucky.


SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk