Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

16-04-24, 08:17PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,343
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 162
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Why should I give my personal data to Tesco??

Started by lucgeo, 06-11-20, 02:36PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

Ok this probably doesn't affect the majority of you, as most are Tesco employees, but I have become increasingly vexed in the last few months with this new customer clubcard initiative... The Tesco mantra is always " putting the customer first" really?? Then why, as a customer, am I not privvy to the same offers as those who have a Tesco clubcard? Is this a private company?? A private club?? Membership only?? No!!
It's obvious that they want their customers to sign up for a card, to then have all their shopping habits, personal data etc...to sell on.
I haven't had a Tesco card since they blocked my discount card the day after my final redundancy pay...so to now go in the store, 'non members welcome' and be so blatantly discriminated against...what's next?? Segregation in the aisles?? Only permitted to purchase the shorter shelf life items??
Clubs, hotels, leisure facilities also have ' non members welcome' some may charge day entry fee, but they don't charge you double for each drink, meal, or apparatus you use, they're glad of the extra custom. 'Twould seem Tesco isn't  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Katarn2000

They've created an incentive to sign up to clubcard so they can track your spending and target offers to try and get you to spend more. It's not about selling the data on. Every supermarket has a similar system. Tesco is evil and the offers are never as good as they appear so I'd suggest shopping elsewhere. Nobody cares about your personal data. It's probably all over the internet already anyway.

lucgeo

No other supermarket that I know of, differentiates between customers, their prices and offers are the same for all...your choice is to take the offer or not.
It's not really all over the Internet what brand of beans I prefer, whether I purchase a certain newspaper, indicating my political leanings, whether I purchase nappies or incontinence pads, indicating my age bracket, for other companies to target sales for their products. Most supermarkets do a loyalty system, and glean the info, if you choose to join their loyalty card, collect points etc...it's called freedom of choice.
But if your freedom of choice is deemed a negative by a company, then they are excluding you in favour of another customer. And who's paying for all these discounted prices for the chosen few??
I now only purchase the favoured items I am unable to purchase in Aldi or Lidl..what used to be a big weekly shop, is now a monthly stock up of a few items.

alf

Am I missing something or is this not blatantly obvious.

Rewards/loyality cards come with a perk, you need to have said card to obtain said perk.

honeybunch

I don't quite understand your argument. You used a clubcard, therefore agreeing for your information to be shared, while working for the company. Once the card was cancelled after your redundancy you chose to cancel it.  Did you expect to continue to receive staff discount after your redundancy?
I lost my discount after redundancy but it didn't come as a surprise. I continue to use a clubcard and now benefit from the clubcard offers.
Tesco is a business that has chosen to persuade their customers to apply for a clubcard by offering special prices, as is their right.  It is no different to the points that clubcard members earn each time they shop.
It is not a two tier system just another incentive to hold one of their cards.
Every loyalty card comes with benefits.
You either apply for one to benefit from the incentives or you don't. That is your right, but please don't begrudge the rest of us a few pennies in savings.
Life is too short to stuff a mushroom!

lucgeo

Oh jeez....I'm not begrudging anyone owt...always get one who takes it right out of context! Of course I didn't expect to keep the discount, that's a ridiculous question!!
It's not an argument, it's my point of view!
No other loyalty retailer, that I know of, offers its members a cheaper price, by publicly displaying a sign stating cheaper price for card holders only!! And yes it is offering a two tier system to openly do so!

@alf

If you went into a place where they have members, but welcome non members, such as the British legion for a pint, would you be happy to pay double what the members are paying for each pint?? Would you continue to go?

notsofunny

Are not all loyalty cards the same ? after all each comes with a perk of one type or another , so if you don't take up a card then you don't get the perk ,

I have 2 airline cards when I book a flight with them I get first chance of booking a seat also first chance for a upgrade , I also get more bag allowance  and points on top ,with the chance to use the lounge , Any other customer that does not have a card does not get the rights I have ,

Same thing goes for some Gyms , if you have a card then you get a discount on the drinks ,as well as being able to book time slots to go in , Others don't ,

Having a club card is about being part of a club , which in turn means you get benefits  that those with out don't get ,
So as it stands I don't see what the problem is ,

As to  your information being used banks and card company's have been doing it for years , even when you take out a 0% loan on a new TV the store passes on your details to the loan company they then in turn do a credit  check on you finding out what else you have borrowed on in the past ,they then target you with offers for loans on other things as well as pass on that info to company's that will try and sell you something on HP ,,

Morris999

I’ve read some BS in my life but I think this thread takes top spot.

Your complaining about Tesco having your personal details/data, up until recently you worked for them and shopped using your colleague discount card.
It might come as a surprise to you, but Tesco already has a lot of your personal data and will do for a few years.

Not only that, your using the internet, so that’s your Internet provider having your  personal data, along with Google or whoever else you use for searching the internet too.
Every website you’ve ever been on, will have some of your personal data to use as they see fit within the boundaries of the law, all of which you would have agreed too, when first visiting the site.
Your Personal data isn’t as private as you might like or think it is.

Yet your complaining about Tesco and Clubcard!

As for Discrimination and Segregation, ffs have you forgotten to take your sanity pills, cause comparing Clubcard prices to those two, just shows you’ve finally lost the plot!

honeybunch

Marks and Spencer regularly send me offers of 20% off certain ranges. So yes other stores do run  a two tier system as you call it.
Life is too short to stuff a mushroom!

penguin

Discrimination are you serious, Tesco have every right to make further incentives to use Clubcard available, the fact your not willing to use a Clubcard as of course is your right means you lose out on the deals.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

grim up north

I have noticed though, T* offer(now clubcard) price is often other places regular price

lucgeo

Quote from: Morris999 on 06-11-20, 07:01PM

Your complaining about Tesco having your personal details/data, up until recently you worked for them and shopped using your colleague discount card.
It might come as a surprise to you, but Tesco already has a lot of your personal data and will do for a few years.

Not only that, your using the internet, so that’s your Internet provider having your  personal data, along with Google or whoever else you use for searching the internet too.
Every website you’ve ever been on, will have some of your personal data to use as they see fit within the boundaries of the law, all of which you would have agreed too, when first visiting the site.

Yet your complaining about Tesco and Clubcard!

As for Discrimination and Segregation, ffs have you forgotten to take your sanity pills, cause comparing Clubcard prices to those two, just shows you’ve finally lost the plot!

Thanks for your input......lucgeo....mic drop!!

alf

Quote from: lucgeo on 06-11-20, 06:52PM

@alf

If you went into a place where they have members, but welcome non members, such as the British legion for a pint, would you be happy to pay double what the members are paying for each pint?? Would you continue to go?

I'm sorry but literally what?

The situation you just decribed in regards to the british legion is standard practice amongst social clubs. So It wouldn't be a case of me being unhappy or happy, I'd expect to pay the standard price, I wouldn't expect to pay member prices, because well, I'm not a member. 

Though, at least based on the replies it seems I'm not the only one baffled by this thread.

river_thames

Quote from: lucgeo on 06-11-20, 02:36PM
Clubs, hotels, leisure facilities also have ' non members welcome' some may charge day entry fee, but they don't charge you double for each drink, meal, or apparatus you use, they're glad of the extra custom.
You don't pay double for a drink or meal. You pay the normal non-discounted price, which you would normally pay if you want to buy that item.

river_thames

Quote from: Morris999 on 06-11-20, 07:01PM

Exactly and to be fair I believe many people have a wrong idea on how this works. It's true that companies and websites collect your data, but they don't use your data individually. They put them all together in order to individuate trends, things in commons and patterns among different groups of people. Let's say that Tesco collects data about your shopping habits whenever you use the Clubcard. They know your age (cause you gave them your date of birth), you gender, where you live (south, north or middle, big town or little village) and so on. And they know you like Innocent smoothies or Twix chocolate bars (as you buy them often). Now, take this data, put them all together with the data of thousands of other Clubcard members and what you get is statistics. For example, a certain product is popular among women in their 30s that live in the South and that spend about £100 a week on groceries etc... and that this kind of people may like Lambrini wine for example (because many other people with similar data buy that a lot). According to this they will know what to advertise to you (eg. similar products to Lambrini) and what may interest you and the specific demographic where you belongs. They don't care about you specifically, Jane Doe, and your data. They care about trends shared by a large of people with common habits/traits.

I know this is still bad, but I see many people so vocally against giving their personal data to companies (which we all do anyway cause we all use socials and internet for example). They think that companies want to know everything about them, and it may be true, but companies don't want to SPECIFICALLY know about a single person.

NorthernJ

I've read some c**p here but this is up there.
You don't have to give your personal information at all, just pay full price and stop moaning. If you want to save a bit of money, great use your club card.
Just don't moan when some of us are saving 70p on our Mr Kiplings or whatever else they put savings on.

They aren't perfect no, but they're giving people the option to save a bit of money, during a time when people might be struggling.

Do you troll all supermarket forums complaining about their perk scheme or just here because you're a jaded ex-employee?

Poolboy77

This has to be one of the best posts ever ! Don’t like it go else where

Welshie

I have actually had customers complain about these deals and as we no longer do the temporary clubcard it's quite hard to deal with .
"Yes Sir unless you download the clubcard app right now , you will be charged more " is not an answer they like .

lucgeo

Quote from: NorthernJ14 on 08-11-20, 04:34AM
I've read some c**p here but this is up there.
You don't have to give your personal information at all, just pay full price and stop moaning. If you want to save a bit of money, great use your club card.
Just don't moan when some of us are saving 70p on our Mr Kiplings or whatever else they put savings on.

They aren't perfect no, but they're giving people the option to save a bit of money, during a time when people might be struggling.

Do you troll all supermarket forums complaining about their perk scheme or just here because you're a jaded ex-employee?

Quote from: Poolboy77 on 08-11-20, 04:49PM
This has to be one of the best posts ever ! Don’t like it go else where

Good luck to y'all...especially you newbie keyboard warriors, who have not an ounce of intelligence, experience or knowledge...but want to look the big I am...jumping on the old bandwagon...look at me...I'm a no mark...but I'm one of the gang...I shout from the back...a weak pathetic follower not a leader...
"Don't like it...go elsewhere" ..."because  you're a jaded ex employee"...what have you two pathetic excuses ever contributed to this site?? F*** all, as is usual for the also rans...when I joined this site there was a host of knowledgeable supporters who guided and gave their experience and knowledge freely and often...they helped me immensely, whilst I was still a store union rep...I took their advice, immense knowledge and guidance with gratitude...but they, like others, have chosen to no longer contribute to this site, I imagine for the unwarranted abuse from the likes of ignorant little gob shites like yourselves, trying to be the big yin....so I sincerely thank Loki...Duracell...M36...David1...OpShunned...forrestgimp...Nomad...to name but a few, for all their knowledgeable guidance and advice...I wish well all the members I have had the pleasure of being in contact with through PM's...I sincerely apologise to those that I feel I am leaving high and dry...but I honestly believe the time has now come to move on...when a post of a personal view, becomes an excuse to be verbally abused, rather than debated, then there's no point...it all becomes a slanging match, with the most ignorant shouting the loudest!
Thank you and goodnight....lucgeo.

dotnochance

People disagree with you, and you throw your toys out of the pram

lackofinterest

there's disagreeing , then there's slagging off. no need for it!! i agree with lucgeo. tescos like all other companies will sell personal details on to third parties. as far as i'm concerned they can stick clubcard up their arse. i go sainsburys or aldi. their loss not mine >:(. come back lucgeo :-*

dotnochance

lol yes there was some slagging off? even then it wasn't even harsh, but i find his last post way way more insulting, he has no leg to stand on with his last post. if he just said "yeah im not being insulted anymore im off" then yeah but
Quote from: lucgeo on 08-11-20, 09:09PM
Good luck to y'all...especially you newbie keyboard warriors, who have not an ounce of intelligence, experience or knowledge...but want to look the big I am...jumping on the old bandwagon...look at me...I'm a no mark...but I'm one of the gang...I shout from the back...a weak pathetic follower not a leader...
Complains about abuse then does it himself, theres a report button if he feels like hes been given abuse.
Anyway bye  ;D

Redshoes

Matalan has a card, there was a time when you could not buy anything at all without producing the card. No idea if it's still the same, I have not tried, don't visit them very often either so always have to hunt to find card. It's not a food shop but an example of another retailer who has a card scheme.
Waitrose have a card, I had difficulty getting a card as there is not one where I live but I wanted a card for when I go south.
We get asked in so many places, there are so many I sometimes don't know if I have a card or not, I mostly say no though. I wanted to order some clothing one place and had to sign up to be able to do so, forget what shop it was.
We are just one of many retailers that offer a scheme. When we used to have cards in stores people would take them but never fill out the personal details side of things. We are now just restricting loads of cards floating around that have only been taken out for one shop. This is what would happen just now due to it being money saving offers.
We have choices along the way. I have had to join other schemes when I have not wanted to. We are very far from being the first place to offer loyalty offers. It is what it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk