News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 01:08AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,361
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 385
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 385
Total: 385

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmerFred

The spaces will be partitioned off and sound insulated from the main store - if necessary the tannoy speakers in close proximity will be reconfigured to minimise disruption. That said, the number of people who I've seen rock up and sit in the cafe for a few hours tapping away on a laptop with a single coffee or holding meetings & taking up space whilst customers who are there to actually have food or drink don't get a seat suggests that potential users of these spaces aren't too fusy anyway!

Nomad

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/i-dont-want-my-office-to-be-in-a-tesco-1625994

QuoteHow could anyone focus with the sickly yet heart warming waft of bakery croissants dancing in the air? You'd be down those aisles every half an hour buying sweet treats or looking at homewares you don't need. Before you know it you'll be getting RSI – not from computer work but from the frequent contactless swiping. I'll have shelled out on 10 pairs of jeggings in my first work break.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

VladPutin

How long before Tesco starts offering cheap hotel rooms in it's stores?  :D

barafear

Is Ken's £3.2m bonus not worthy of a news articles discussion, on top of his salary of course!!

https://news.sky.com/story/tesco-boss-ken-murphy-nets-pay-packet-of-4-7m-as-shoppers-face-rising-food-prices-12611887

tescopleb

If you've just received your shareholder voting card, don't throw it away, use it to vote against directors pay/remuneration.

Hammer10

Scandalous he gets all this when everyone struggling.where's ours a piddling amount .take a ga 30 years plus to earn that he gets that in a year can't be bad to just walk around stores and sit in meetings hard life he must have.

barafear

Love the way that Tesco highlights the fact that staff are getting a 5.8% payrise, compared to a meagre 2.25% for Ken. But forget to mention staff get 1.25% bonus compared to Kens 200% (approx) bonus!!!
Tresco continue to deceive.

grim up north

If anyone is involved in pay negotiations, they need to jot that down for future reference

VladPutin

Quote from: barafear on 16-05-22, 04:48PM
Love the way that Tesco highlights the fact that staff are getting a 5.8% payrise, compared to a meagre 2.25% for Ken. But forget to mention staff get 1.25% bonus compared to Kens 200% (approx) bonus!!!
Tresco continue to deceive.

You mean the massive pay rise Tesco had to give us because otherwise by next year a large number of employees would be making less than the Minimum Wage?

Head office must think everyone is as dumb as they are 8-)

Nomad

Tesco shopper launches petition against self-service tills with over 100,000 signatures

QuotePat McCarthy, 69, has started a petition calling for more cashiers instead of self-service checkouts in Tesco supermarkets.

The petition, on change.org, was created a few days ago and already has over 100,000 signatures.

I support her, machines don't pay income tax or NI, and people need jobs.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lucgeo

8-) Ditto  8-)

The new M&S advert for shopping without using a checkout " the old fashioned way " like it's a good thing ???

I detest the self serves...I can never use them without a need for assistance, be it age authorisation, bagging error...fruit/veg coding etc...etc...guaranteed having to wait for an assistant who is just so busy helping someone else, return from shop floor getting something for a customer, price enquiry, random scan & shop check, detagging and numerous other little jobs piled onto them while they are " just stood there!"

The amount of time it takes it much longer, compared to being served on a main bank, making their claim it's faster and more convenient for their customers is ludicrous  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Nomad on 19-05-22, 09:20AM
Tesco shopper launches petition against self-service tills with over 100,000 signatures

QuotePat McCarthy, 69, has started a petition calling for more cashiers instead of self-service checkouts in Tesco supermarkets.

The petition, on change.org, was created a few days ago and already has over 100,000 signatures.

That's a government tax policy problem, not an automation problem, what should be petitioned is for automation taxes or regulations which force Labour cost savings from automation to be passed on to the customer.

penguin

Not only that but this is a customer service issue, I am happy enough to use self serve or scan as you shop even when doing a big shop but many are not and should not have to wait ages for one of the few staffed tills to become available. Also as someone who worked in retail for many years it irritates me when you see staff in stores pestering staff into trying out self service, I understand the staff are just doing the job when asking but once a customer says no that should be the end of the matter. My local Sainsburys is awful for it and almost frogmarches people off to the self service for daring to wait in line for a manned checkout to become free.

Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/tesco/tesco-uses-supplier-price-negotiations-to-hike-requests-for-back-margin-payments/668141.article

T
Quoteesco has been using negotiations on cost price inflation (CPI) to ramp up the fixed fees it receives from suppliers to support promotions, The Grocer has learned.

It marks the return of the so-called 'back margin' practice that had been largely stamped out by former Tesco boss Dave Lewis, who looked to move towards front margin and an everyday low price model.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

barafear

Quote from: penguin on 19-05-22, 05:30PM

Not only that but this is a customer service issue, I am happy enough to use self serve or scan as you shop even when doing a big shop but many are not and should not have to wait ages for one of the few staffed tills to become available. Also as someone who worked in retail for many years it irritates me when you see staff in stores pestering staff into trying out self service, I understand the staff are just doing the job when asking but once a customer says no that should be the end of the matter. My local Sainsburys is awful for it and almost frogmarches people off to the self service for daring to wait in line for a manned checkout to become free.

Unfortunately, whatever we think or however much it might "inconvenience customers (or the few remaining staff who may have to deal with more/angry customers)" - it's the way things are going - and not just in retail - just look at banking for example.

Basically, big corporations initially encourage/incentivise people to change - and then over a period of time, it is forced upon people by removing the option (i.e. closing bank branches or in our case closing tills) - of course customers have the choice to go elsewhere - except over time all businesses end up doing the same - so it's merely a timing issue.

As for the quote about "machines don't pay income tax or NI" - from Tesco's point of view (and most other large corporations) - machines also don't need wages/salaries or annual leave or sick pay or back to work meetings or disciplinaries/lets talks etc.etc.

NightAndDay

The reason why companies don't go all in on automation is because of the initial capital outlay required, it can take years to see an ROI on the purchase, and although they will save on labour costs, maintenance is an expense they'll have to deal with

Still though, automation is good, the fact that they don't pay taxes or NI is a tax policy issue rather than a technology issue.

Nomad

CARDIGAN's Tesco fuel station has confirmed it has closed off a storage tank at their petrol station following complaints by motorists.

QuoteAnother motorist reported that the AA had blamed the 'sluggish' performance of her engine on water contamination.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-advert-banned-after-171-24170629

Tesco in trouble for a plant burger advert that has been found to be misleading.

Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

VladPutin

Quote from: barafear on 07-06-22, 10:49AM
Quote from: penguin on 19-05-22, 05:30PM

Unfortunately, whatever we think or however much it might "inconvenience customers (or the few remaining staff who may have to deal with more/angry customers)" - it's the way things are going - and not just in retail - just look at banking for example.

Basically, big corporations initially encourage/incentivise people to change - and then over a period of time, it is forced upon people by removing the option (i.e. closing bank branches or in our case closing tills) - of course customers have the choice to go elsewhere - except over time all businesses end up doing the same - so it's merely a timing issue.

As for the quote about "machines don't pay income tax or NI" - from Tesco's point of view (and most other large corporations) - machines also don't need wages/salaries or annual leave or sick pay or back to work meetings or disciplinaries/lets talks etc.etc.

Could not agree more. Anyone who thinks senior Tesco managers/board members give a toss about staff or the customers really hasn't been paying attention.

Redshoes

I hear there is a trial on some main bank tills going to card only. It was tried before and stopped but this trial has the updated software that won't allow colleagues to take cash by mistake. It's the same software as the card only tills on self service and colleagues will sign on with a barcode. There is a lot less cash going through the tills anyway.
Self service and scan as you shop tills don't have payment errors but they do have shrink in other forms. This is being addressed and the tills will know the difference between apples and onions for example.
Checkouts have lost hours at the beginning and end of day. It varies from store to store but for us we only have self service tills for the first and last hour of the day. The idea is that a shop floor colleague will serve the few big trolleys, if there are any. I agree no main bank for first half hour as most customers would take that long to fill a big trolley and off till colleagues are in too as they have done change run before the store opens.
Hours are very tight on checkouts. I'm told to get more people in but then also told I can't spend overtime that has not been authorised. Click and Collect was rolled out, I think checkout hours were cut because of this but it has not gone as well as expected. There has been a little more overtime in the past few weeks and we get to use the click and collect colleagues for support.  Sometimes they have a full and busy day but then they also have days with no orders so the colleagues support fresh until checkouts gets busy.

Hammer10

I know many people who use cash as they don't trust cards it's freedom of choice they can't do this .

Totot

Like it or not, the payment system will change into more efficient way. And company will be "pushed" into using less cash and in the end the use of fiat money will be less and less. The resources to handle those money will be too big to ignore in most cases.

Meanwhile we start walking in to the era of internet of value, when not only data can move through internet, but also value. That will change the payment and settlement faster and cheaper.
Mostly the settlement part, when settlement of transaction between bank, company and customer getting faster and cheaper, they will push even more to use card or any electronic payment available.

NightAndDay

With petrol going to £5 a liter in about a years time and the £ approaching parity with monopoly money, Crypto will soon become a mainstay.

gomezz

Crypto is funny money from the start.  Made out of out nothing concrete, backed by nothing concrete.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

NightAndDay

Same as the pound then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk