News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 12:54PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 432
Total: 436

Bad Weather - Attendance

Started by scours81, 26-02-18, 03:23PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatFraz

VladPutin

I agree the DC can barely deliver on good weather. Our shelf's are empty alot of the time now. I thought the administrators were due in. The punters I see buying the bread are Asian newsagent owners who are selling them at double price while Tesco are sold out. They are driving about fast in there 18 reg Audi while the only thing happening quick at Tesco is the drop in share value. Who are the idiots!

Fudge340

I have been into work this morning, and everyone who did not come in, is going unpaid, we were on the edge of the red warning, and in the Amber zone, please can anyone advise as reading on here it should be paid? Thanks

Expressdude2016

I know someone posted communication saying all would be paid, but the communication which we got down ( in red zone ) was the company policy which is you have option, if safe to work in store close to you, take unpaid, use a holiday or work time back.

Nowhere did it say everyone was to be paid.

Fudge340

Thank you, I'm not worried one way or the other, but as the wages clerk I needed to double check as the information wasn't forthcoming from SM this morning.

notsofunny

Are you saying you follow what is said on this site to make payments  ??? After all if you did then what did you decided to do , pay or not to pay ?
My understanding woulf be that you follow the rules on if someone should get paid or not as set out , unless you are told other wise by your S/M ,

Can anyone point us all in the direction of a E mail saying you are all to be paid if you did not turn up for work, Date ,time and full hard copy saying so would be a bare minimum ,

Johnzo88

Does any1 know if members of staff are only getting paid for not showing up during the red weather warning only? Here in Scotland the red weather warning finished at 6pm on Thursday. But the advice from the police was exactly the same to not travel for the yellow weather wanrning also. I work nightshift so did not work Wed night or Thu night due to this.

Fudge340

Please don't get me wrong, I follow all the guidelines, but when I spoke to my SM he said no idea, and I was trying to find a paper trail one way or the other. All staff that did not come in have been unpaid, in accordance with guidelines, a member of staff brought the subject to my attention, and having checked through everything at work, I wanted to be able to assure them I had investigated it. If it was a case of they should of been I was hoping for more information on where and when the information was received, some of the staff are making up hours, and some are moving holiday, and their wages will be adjusted accordingly.

Pathfinder

I have a copy of email sent from people  manager,
Sent to all stores in a RED and AMBER area ,

"I have received clarification that due to the Amber and Red weather warnings ,colleagues that couldn't come to work due to snow or had to leave earlier due to snow ,SHOULD be paid for their shift .This is the same for if we close the store."

Please note this is for red and Amber snow warnings areas this is not for gen snow falls outside the Amber or Red warning .

There were two RED warning areas  , one north the other south and Wales .

OpShunned

Tesco staff who battled Beast from the East snow to work 'rewarded' with £1.52 food voucher

Tesco Livingston manager Robert Milne's poster said: "Thank you for all your hard work ensuring we have been able to deliver lifeline services (food and fuel) across Scotland, Northern Ireland and the North of England last week.

"As a token of our thanks for everyone's efforts across the week to recover the service, we would like to issue all colleagues with a meal voucher.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/tesco-staff-who-battled-beast-12163569

More embarrassment  :D :D :D

Nomad

Blimey, as much as that.  Only those who are detached from the front line fail to realise some things are best left undone/unsaid  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Long gone

What would happen if there was  no public transport running, only major roads clear, and they "forced" you-to come in despite the fact say for example you couldn't drive and the only option was to walk in the freezing cold and sheet ice and it took an hour to walk there during normal conditions.. If someone was told to come to work and they slipped and broke their arm or leg trying to get there would Tesco be partially liable for that? 

lordadmiral

Short answer NO. Long answer, you could sue Tesco and demand compensation.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Long gone on 09-11-19, 07:30PM
What would happen if there was  no public transport running, only major roads clear, and they "forced" you-to come in despite the fact say for example you couldn't drive and the only option was to walk in the freezing cold and sheet ice and it took an hour to walk there during normal conditions.. If someone was told to come to work and they slipped and broke their arm or leg trying to get there would Tesco be partially liable for that?

They can't "make" you come in to work, if you can't come in, you ring them and let them know, they'll then have to follow the RTW process, if you don't ring in, it's classed as AWOL (unless you can prove you attempted to call, in which case, if the duty manager didn't pick up that's on them).

Though Tesco legally can let anybody with less than 2 years service go without a reason, they follow a process for disciplinaries, they can't sack you for not coming in (unless attendance is a sporadic prior issue and there's been numerous investigations and disciplinaries about such.) If they do sack you, appeal the decision that it doesn't conform with their own policy.

Redshoes

If you travel to work but there is a store nearer to you that is not the one you work in, you can swap to that. This does sometimes happen with managers as they have to move to get jobs, often. We had a manager who travelled over 20 miles to work but got in during the bad snow but a local colleague couldn't but lived less then 2 miles from store. The manager travelled on main roads that were treated and kept clear, the colleague was out in the sticks with single track roads.
This is a "how long is a piece of string" type scenario.
You also have drivers of different levels. Some more confident and experienced than others. If you are not confident at driving in bad weather you should not do so.
In this age we live in they close schools quickly, they seldom did this in my day. This tends to be a bigger issue and out of our control. To be suddenly landed with child care issues at very short notice tends to happen in bad weather when there are also transport issues.

Pathfinder

With a red weather warning in place in some parts of the UK for tomorrow have any correspondence been sent to stores regarding staff not showing up.

Redshoes

If you can't get in you need to ring and let them know. I live in Scotland and we get loads of weather warnings. I travel just over 10 miles to work and with trees down and snow etc people still get in. Those that travel from one area know each other and we communicate. There was particular day with really bad roads when two people travelled in together and then they let the others know. There was a detour but we made it.
You need to be safe, don't take risks but weather warnings are not 100%. They are better than they used to be but I would not phone in to say unable to get to work before the actual day.

VladPutin

Thank God we can get a hot meal in the staff canteen after travelling to work in weather like this!

Oh, wait... :(

Mark calloway

I once read that someone rang in to say they couldn't come in because of a weather warning but the warning was for Scotland and they were in Nottingham

Cinderella

My store sent out information on this late this morning. Too late for certain aspects such as allowing staff to work in stores closer to their home to be considered. I think my local would be very confused if I just turned up and announced I was there for a shift, without anything being organised in advance!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk