News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 12:12PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 433
Total: 435

Bad Weather - Attendance

Started by scours81, 26-02-18, 03:23PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim up north

Can T discipline staff for not turning in?

Nomad

If your car is stuck, if roads are impassable, buses not running and your Gyrocopter is broken etc then a good rep should get any action stopped in its tracks.   
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

grim up north

What about if 2 people live next door to each other, one drives, one doesn't. The person who drives makes it in.

Nomad

If anybody relies on public transport, and it is not running and assuming walking is not possible then what would one be expected to do.

In any bad weather there will be those who can get in and those who genuinely cannot, unfortunately it requires good MM to discern the genuine from the false.  Yes, a big ask I know but that's life. 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

penguin

Our manager who is a bit of an idiot to put it mildly suggested we all look up on youtube "how people in Norway continue to travel around in snowy weather" when we had the snow a few weeks before Christmas, in fairness I've not known anyone in our shop to ever be done for not making it in in genuine bad weather the managers are fairly good at offering shift swaps, moving days off, time back etc in such circumstances.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

grim up north

I meant to add as well, the person who drives gives the other one a lift.

notsofunny

I wonder if anyone has Phoned in to say they cant get into work :question: , Or heard of someone that has  :question:

grim up north

notsofunny

yes i would expect DC to be effected since they are mostly out of town, How are they doing with drivers getting in ?

grim up north

It hasn't been too bad but trailers being slower to return is starting to have an effect.

Biscuits

Yes, loads in our store in Scotland. The snow is thigh deep in places. No public transport running, motorways closed, would take over an hour to walk in, but there's blizzards. No job is worth that. I based my decision not to go in on who would mourn me more in the result of an accident trying to get in...tesco or my family? It's a no brainer when you look at it like that. Police issued a red warning to stay off the roads, nowhere in that warning did it exempt tesco staff.

jedi

Quote from: grim up north on 01-03-18, 11:11AM
Can T discipline staff for not turning in?
Would depend on circumstances

jedi

Quote from: scours81 on 26-02-18, 03:23PM
Hi

With the weather that we look like we are getting with snow what is the actual policy on attendance if getting to work is impossible.

I've heard your local store but what even if this is not possible?
Just down on store comms ALL colleagues are to be paid for time off for weather related absence,ALL COLLEAGUES TO BE PAID FOR WEATHER RELATED ABSENCE.
NO EXCEPTIONS.

Preacherpauly

So are we all getting paid for not going in or do we get paid but have to give the hours back when we can?

londoner83

Whilst I agree no one should be put at risk by being told they must attend work i'd prefer a more localised policy to be decided by each store who could best judge the conditions.

For instance in the last bout of snow someone living literally across the road (about 20 metres from store entrance) refused to come in; whilst others walked for up to an hour and nothing could be done.

Is it unreasonable to expect someone to get a bus or train to work provided they are running or have a 10 min walk?

Obviously in Red Areas I wouldn't expect anyone to risk injury  but I do feel some individuals will use this to gain days off when they could reasonably have attended particularly in gritted urban areas.

Welshie

Does anyone know if Tesco Ireland closed early today ? Government advised entire country to be home for 4pm  .

notsofunny

Quote from: jedi on 01-03-18, 03:36PM
Quote from: scours81 on 26-02-18, 03:23PM
Hi

With the weather that we look like we are getting with snow what is the actual policy on attendance if getting to work is impossible.

I've heard your local store but what even if this is not possible?
Just down on store comms ALL colleagues are to be paid for time off for weather related absence,ALL COLLEAGUES TO BE PAID FOR WEATHER RELATED ABSENCE.
NO EXCEPTIONS.
Is this for all over the country ? or just red alert areas ? 
cant see them saying that for london , roads are clear transport is working ,
Also what about those that live across the road  :(
That line you have put in that says NO EXCEPTIONS , is that what is in the E mail ?

Friend27

Any one in an amber or red warning area can get paid. Anyone else in areas where it's not amber or red warning can make time up take a holiday or unpaid. Nothing more straight forward than that. Depends on where you live.

Adywebb

This is what we've been sent:

Adverse Weather and absence

Due to the weather conditions we know that this will impact some of our colleagues getting into work, I wanted to remind you of what we should be discussing with Colleagues who are unable to attend work. The below is taken from Page 6 of the Time off policy for your information. This absence should not be coded as sickness.

Please can you make your managers aware of this policy please.

• Attending work at a later starting time.
• Walking to work if this is reasonable or taking an alternative form of transport.
• Working at another store which is closer to home or easier to travel to.
• Working from home (for office colleagues if appropriate).
If you and your manager agree that none of the above options are possible you should then discuss how you are going to take the time off. Options will include taking holiday, shift swap, working hours back or taking time in lieu to provide a paid option or confirming at the colleague's request that the absence will be unpaid

dfl

So where is this email content saying paid if you can't get in, can it be quoted here and who was it sent from ?
DFL

gomezz

Got a message this morning saying not to come in as all dot.com vans cancelled for the day.  Look out the window and it looks no worse than when I was driving in it last night with no problem so I am assuming it is not down to local road conditions.

(we are in the DMZ between the Beast from the East and Storm Emma so missed the worst of the weather)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Olivia Pope

Company stating people safety important to us, anyone who can not get to work today due to bad weather will be paid. They are due to release an update ready for weekend to see if they will continue with this payment . All managers should be aware

spike_pkh

Why would anyone bother coming to work if they will be paid to stay at home.. I haven't seen anything official on this

madness

And there you have it. The ones who would take advantage of this will ruin it in the future.

FatFraz

Maybe due to a lack of communication at Tesco as usual. Dotcom were in filling today as there was 2 and a half days delivery in the warehouse. The rest were in the house as they had received a text telling them not to go to work. Our store is a mess and the TMs don't care.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk