News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 08:26AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Bad Weather - Attendance

Started by scours81, 26-02-18, 03:23PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scours81

Hi

With the weather that we look like we are getting with snow what is the actual policy on attendance if getting to work is impossible.

I've heard your local store but what even if this is not possible?

Expressdude2016

If you cant make your closest store then you have option of working time off back , taking unpaid or possibility of taking as holiday if you had any left.  Other things you could do if you know there potential scenario then you could attempt to get shift swap before hand.

kaled78

or ring in sick with the $hit$

Welshie

There was a "storm" recently in Ireland and the company made the decision to close certain stores in affected areas and staff were paid . Do you think this severe  weather could be bad enough to be a risk to life ?

FatFraz

If the weather is bad phone in sick of work.

scours81

Ringing in sick would go down as absence. Is not been able to get there an exception

forrestgimp

Quote from: scours81 on 26-02-18, 03:23PM
Hi

With the weather that we look like we are getting with snow what is the actual policy on attendance if getting to work is impossible.

I've heard your local store but what even if this is not possible?

About 10 or so years ago I was snowed in for a week in my village i phoned work the first day told them and they were great, When i got back it was ok as well a few of us hadnt made it out of the village and non were told off or had meeting or anything.

Now things could have changed but if you cant get to work you cant get to work its that simple.

I cant remember if I got paid or not but I dont recall losing any money.

claden

Unless you are 1 of the long serving colleagues who get all their sick pay. Why would you want to call in sick? It goes on your percentage

JL

Twinkeltoes1

FFS its a bit of snow, news are pumping it up.

spike_pkh

If the weather is bad enough you cannot get to store then you should phone to say you are going to your local store. If even that is not possible then phone to tell your store and take it as change of day off, emergency holiday or unpaid.

Why anyone would phone in sick is beyond me, why create more hassle for yourself when the truth is good enough

lucgeo

And which mug are they going to get to monitor this?? The poor trolley colleagues....left out in the car park unsupported most of the time, they already get enough abuse from customers. One young lad last week, got whistled by a lazy middle aged bloke, to come collect his trolley when he'd loaded his car :o the lad ignored him, so had the trolley propelled with force at him >:(

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

notsofunny

unless you live out in the sticks I for one cant understand how someone cant get into work one way or the other  8-),

madness

Any excuse not to come to work.

tumshie

Many people around the UK do live out in the sticks.

tut tut

Ex employee myself, but was in the situation where my car was frozen in, it wasn't possible to move it and a local farmer used his 4x4 to get me out the next day....

Brown nose tl who lives a few miles away could get in and said...   No snow or ice in our area.... A few miles away don't forget !!!!!
-Manager took his word over mine and I got a warning. Just because other's can get into work doesn't mean that you can !!!!!

Usdaw sat back and did nothing, but I had taken pictures of the wheels locked in ice, no contest, they lost and the Brown nose is still a dick !!!

lackofinterest

the place is full of brown nosed dicks >:(

notsofunny

Quote from: tumshie on 28-02-18, 11:33AM
Many people around the UK do live out in the sticks.

Depends on what someone's meaning of many is.

Nomad

Some people may consider a certain size of town as 'the sticks' as it is not a city  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

trolleyboy96

If your proper snowed in then yep not problems but the issue is some take the pee, last time we had snow staff got in from miles away one trio called in couldn't get in, no problem unpaid/holiday or work time back, 2 hrs later pictures of them building snowmen in the local park so close to the store you could see it in the background! Yet they couldn't get to work, now that pee'd a lot hard working staff off!

FatFraz

Some people don't need the bad weather excuse adding time on breaks and clocking out early.

gomezz

Quote from: Nomad on 28-02-18, 04:49PM
Some people may consider a certain size of town as 'the sticks' as it is not a city  8-)
I remember traffic coming to a complete standstill for a couple of days up Headingley Lane in Leeds during a bad winter in the 1970s.  So no way anyone was going anywhere and not quite the sticks.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

notsofunny

Quote from: Weed on 28-02-18, 05:06PM
Some people don't need the bad weather excuse adding time on breaks and clocking out early.

You sure you work at a Tesco store ? This and other posts you have done seem to show a store from hell , with so many problems at the place you work at , I am supprised you want to stay working for tesco ??? ,

Tornado

>:( did you not know 'THERE ARE STORES FROM HELL ?' I work in one. Why are you on VLH ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk