Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 08:24AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

THE CONFIDENTIAL PROTECTOR LINE

Started by The Mrs, 21-04-05, 02:02AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris9997

Quote from: Redshoes on 11-04-23, 08:00AM
Quote from: Shoestring on 11-04-23, 03:59AMIs the protector line useful for issues that involve the store manager?
Can anyone recommend a better route that would get an immediate, effectual response please?

I once had a colleague come to me with an issue about our store manager. I went to a former store manager I knew. He raised the issue and it was investigated by SD.
I did ask the former store manager the best way to raise the issue. They asked for time to think about it. He rang me back half an hour later and had already raised the issue himself. I did ask about protector line and he said that as long as the issue was raised it did not matter which route was taken.
Personally i do think that the route is important as a previous manager may not be totally impartial to the issues raised you need an independent body which the PL proports to be

NightAndDay

The last time I used the protector line, they independently investigate any illegal activities such as fraud etc as an independent body, if it's a work related grievance etc, they redirect your complaint to the people partner to investigate.

grim up north

Quote from: Shoestring on 11-04-23, 03:59AMIs the protector line useful for issues that involve the store manager?
Can anyone recommend a better route that would get an immediate, effectual response please?

I once had a colleague come to me with an issue about our store manager. I went to a former store manager I knew. He raised the issue and it was investigated by SD.
I did ask the former store manager the best way to raise the issue. They asked for time to think about it. He rang me back half an hour later and had already raised the issue himself. I did ask about protector line and he said that as long as the issue was raised it did not matter which route was taken.

I'm sorry, but every time I read your story Redshoes, I cant help but replace the word 'raised' with 'covered up'

Redshoes

Quote from: grim up north on 11-04-23, 04:46PM

I'm sorry, but every time I read your story Redshoes, I cant help but replace the word 'raised' with 'covered up'

I raised the issue and it had a full investigation.  Protector line is the alternative for when you are unable to raise an issue another way. In this case there was a way, it was through me as I was trusted by colleague. There was no cover up as the store manager I raised the issue to did not cover it up either and I went to him as I trusted him not to do so. The colleague was happy with end result, issue resolved.

lucgeo

Again Redshoes highlights how their store is very far from the norm that many other store's colleagues endure on a daily basis where toxic culture reigns supreme :-X

The subtle bullying from management is soul destroying and becomes the norm that many accept! If you are stupid enough to raise a grievance of your store or, god forbid, store manager, then their mate from a nearby store will arrive and dismiss it, then you're marked as a trouble maker and a big target placed on your back!

Also the phrase "my door is always open" is a trick...don't even think about it...you'll just be ridiculed as petty and before you even get back on the dept, every manager will be informed to make your life as miserable as possible! You will be constantly monitored for the slightest misdemeanour and the 1-2-1 meetings will begin, with a view to a disciplinary!  :-X  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Shoestring

Well that was encouraging lol...

OK, first, thank you for your responses, as much as I suspected.

I should start at the "people partner" and go the protector line if necessary.
I don't want to be a trouble maker, as I am far from that, never a complaint in all the years I have been in my store despite what they put us through.
I have no choice, horrible bullying and the compromise of my position with no one higher in store to gain advice. I have done zero wrong, this 'fella' is a monstrosity, what can I say.
The saying "between a rock and hard place" comes to mind.  :'(

lucgeo

The other option is to contact your PP with a view of placing a grievance against the store manager. Once the grievance has been submitted and signed by you, neither the store manager or any other instore manager can speak to you concerning your grievance or attempt to discuss it with you, be it in friendly tones or intimidating...openly make a written note of time,date,name of manager and walk away stating you've been advised not to discuss!

Don't be fobbed off with going into the store manager and PP to iron it out...there is a formal process that must be followed and once you have submitted your grievance you insist on the process being followed to the letter!

If you're not a union member, join now BEFORE placing the grievance and make sure they are at every meeting be it formal or informal.
Is there nothing online on people's policies that outlines the procedures and time frames in place?

lucgeo

I appreciate that the above may not provide the best resolution going forward, but sometimes it's a case of what's the alternative? If you're being singled out now and enduring a pretty miserable work life existence, can it really get any worse!
The person may already have had a few grievances placed against them in the past which can't be ignored if it's for similar reoccurrences of behaviour!

I once had a similar experience in another employment, caused me being off 6 months with stress, which once I was removed from the daily situation, I realised how much I had accepted all the toxicity as the norm! I returned a stronger person and amazingly the individual backed down once it was brought out into the open and dramatically changed their behaviour!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk