News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

24-04-24, 05:47PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,406
  • Total Topics: 637
  • Online today: 317
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 230
Total: 232

Lost Holiday Not Taken

Started by Texas Ted, 10-04-23, 08:22AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ted

My son had a weeks holiday to be taken before end March 2023. They were busy & his manager said he would sort a week off for him but he never did, then the manager went on holiday. He's back now but hasn't said anything about it. My son says it doesn't matter & he's not bothered, but I think he just doesn't want to cause a fuss. I am very angry about it, it seems like they think they can just get away with it. Any suggestions (my son doesn't know I'm posting by the way)?

Ashbeck

If your son didn't ask his manager and make sure it was booked then it's his own fault he's not taken his full holiday entitlement. Another manager could have dealt with it if his own was on holiday and the end of year deadline was approaching. It's too late now, we're in a new holiday year.

Nomad

Texas Ted, you must educate your son that everything & anything agreed with a manager MUST be got in writing.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

5fdp

The mgr should allocate holidays by the end of December if the member of staff hasn't asked for them. He should speak to his mgr and get them now. The mgr can adjust them through the frog system without affecting this year's holidays. It is however, the staff members responsibility to ask for holidays but the mgr should help that process especially if it is a younger member if the team.  You don't lose them as the company would not be following the work life balance that the government wants us all to have. The mgr would also not be termed as 'great for their year end review as they had not cleared they holidays from the system. I'm surprised that was not brought to their attention at the beginning if march.

lucgeo

@ Texas Ted

I would suggest you advise your son, in the first instance, to speak to the manager and ask what week off he's sorted for him? It could be that the manager can arrange to carry it over, due to him not sorting it out, but If the manager says it's too late then the fault lays with him!
It is a legal requirement that all holiday leave be taken, so by him not having taken his full allowance, then the manager needs to be reminded of that fact!
It's not a case of "snooze you lose" it's a case of bad management...but I'd give the manager a chance first to sort it...if not and your son is a union member, his rep can sort it out within minutes!

5dpf posted same time and they have highlighted the system better than I and more informative.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Ashbeck

As long as his statutory entitlement is used up then the manager doesn't have to do anything - they're a bit c**p at holiday planning, but the colleague also has a responsibility to book his holidays. You can't carry it forward unless you haven't had the opportunity to use it e.g you were on maternity leave. Not booking it with your manager in time isn't down to not having the opportunity, it's lack of planning on both parts. Use it or lose it is the policy. He hasn't used it so he will have lost it. 

NightAndDay

With Work and Pay, there should be a holiday accrual section in the software, holidays, the law is that everyone gets at least 5.6 weeks off pro-rata (bank holidays included), previous firms where I worked at they take this sort of thing very seriously as if the company gets found out for not having employees taking their legally required time off, it can cost the company a significant sum of money. This has been an audit in all previous employees I've worked for, a Centralised ERP system like W&P will also hold records of this and flag it up  (unless the manager puts in false information.)

A key difference I suppose between working in a hourly role at Tesco vs salaried role is that you're trusted to put in your own hours in a salaried role therefore this sort of oversight/corruption can't happen.

Additional holidays accrued from length of service not taken (the non-statutory holidays) aren't illegal but it does form part of your employment contract with Tesco, the onus is shifted on you a bit more to ensure you take these additional days off as leave, but if you can't despite best efforts, there is still legal recourse as this would be Tesco breaking the terms of the contract.

gomezz

My manager has agreed to carry forward one evening off from last month which I had booked but they were scraping the barrel to find drivers so I agreed to work it.  Plan is to book a nominated shift off as Paid Absence.  Actually suits me as it means I get to watch a footy match on TV I would otherwise have missed unless I could have sorted a shift swap,
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

madness

You know how hard it is to get employees to book their holiday. no atter how much you remind them or ask them they delay, uhm and ahh and then in March  "hey i havn't had all my holidays" happens every year.

gomezz

My tactic is to book a week of at or near the end of March which I can then dip into if I need the odd day off earlier in the holiday year.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

BritishRacingGreen

NorthbyNorthwest

To a point I have to agree with Madness. I receive the holiday report at various times of the year to see how many hours some colleagues have left to book. The majority are through sickness or needing to move some/all of a holiday, or an emergency where a holiday couldn't be taken. But there are those colleagues who just don't understand that they will get paid to stay off work! I genuinely don't understand it, and if I was a colleague I'd be all over my holiday entitlement to make sure I got what the company owed me.

BritishRacingGreen

I book my weeks as soon as the new holiday year starts.I am willing to swap at any time for other colleagues with commitments. A few hours are left plus my personal day, but through tough times, there is always time off to look forward to.

Teraza51

I too am having a problem sorting out last years holiday. The situation is I have been off long term sick since August and at the moment we only have a cover manager who is more than useless . Since the end of January I have been trying to sort out getting my remaining hours holiday paid .I have now had to resort to colleague help as I am getting nowhere with the cover manager. Colleague help have said I'm entitled to the holidays to be paid but getting hold of this manager to sort them is a nightmare. It seems he has no interest in our store or the colleague's. I'm suppose to be seeing him on Wednesday to sort this situation however I don't hold out much hope as so far he has been as useful as a wet paper bag . I am now considering putting in a greviance in against this manager.

Sherwoodforest

@Tereza 51 this is the policy for long term sickness,holiday,says nothing about being paid .Long Term Sickness Absence
If you are on long term sickness absence at the end of the holiday year (31st March) you may be able to carry some untaken holiday over into the new holiday year. The maximum holiday you can carry over is 4 weeks (if you have not taken at least 4 weeks' holiday over the course of the holiday year).

If you have taken at least 4 weeks' holiday you will not be able to carry any holiday over to the new holiday year, and will lose any outstanding holidays left in your holiday balance on 31st March. So, you should still book and take your holiday even whilst you are off sick.

For example: A colleague has 6 weeks' holiday entitlement and they've taken 3 weeks' holiday over the course of the year. On 31st March, 1 week will be carried over to the new holiday year (4 - 3 = 1) but the other 2 weeks will be lost.

This carried over holiday must be used within eighteen months or it will be lost. It may only be taken after the current year's holiday has been used........
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Redshoes

The holiday window for 2024 into 2025 opened on 1st April. The window for the following years opens 1st April every year. The aim is to have 75% of holidays before end of Oct. If we hand more than this over into Nov onwards we end up with not enough space to get holidays in but as we need to take them they become over booked. We need to allow for people having to rebook after being sick during holidays. Then festive temps that we keep need to have hols fitted in. Things can be very tight and then add to that there is little or no overtime to cover for holidays Jan into Feb.
Managing the whole holiday year is key. Not having enough holidays booked before Christmas will have a huge impact to end of years still outstanding. I have been busy chasing holidays for this year. It's like pulling teeth getting some to book holiday. Others know the score and know it's first come first served so get in quickly. I have people booking 2024 into 2025 now.

Teraza51

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 11-04-23, 06:40AM@Tereza 51 this is the policy for long term sickness,holiday,says nothing about being paid .Long Term Sickness Absence
If you are on long term sickness absence at the end of the holiday year (31st March) you may be able to carry some untaken holiday over into the new holiday year. The maximum holiday you can carry over is 4 weeks (if you have not taken at least 4 weeks' holiday over the course of the holiday year).

If you have taken at least 4 weeks' holiday you will not be able to carry any holiday over to the new holiday year, and will lose any outstanding holidays left in your holiday balance on 31st March. So, you should still book and take your holiday even whilst you are off sick.

For example: A colleague has 6 weeks' holiday entitlement and they've taken 3 weeks' holiday over the course of the year. On 31st March, 1 week will be carried over to the new holiday year (4 - 3 = 1) but the other 2 weeks will be lost.

This carried over holiday must be used within eighteen months or it will be lost. It may only be taken after the current year's holiday has been used........
Due to the fact we have no manager and the person who is covering made a mistake on my sickness instead of paying sickness at the end of February they paid me a weeks holiday which colleague help have said that I am now not classed as long term sick so cannot have remaining holidays carried over . Instead they have said to put them through to pay them .

Nomad

statutory leave entitlement

Any statutory leave entitlement unable to have been taken by reason of illness can be carried over.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Sherwoodforest

@Tereza51 I'm trying to get my head round, why in January you were trying to get your holidays paid and quoted colleague help, when I posted the policy and no mention of paid holiday entitlement on it, did you have pre booked holiday in February?

Teraza51

I knew I wouldn't be back before the end of the holiday year as I had a serious hand injury in January. I spoke to the stand in manager on several occasions to put my holidays through instead of sick he kept saying he would sort it but he never did. So now I have all those holiday hours outstanding

Teraza51

Quote from: Nomad on 11-04-23, 11:04AMstatutory leave entitlement

Any statutory leave entitlement unable to have been taken by reason of illness can be carried over.
I have been told by colleague help as I had some holiday pay in February this has stopped and restarted my sick so at the end of March I am no longer long term sick . They have told me that the manager needs to put the remaining holidays through between 6 th March and 31 st March. The case is remaining open until I notify colleague help that the situation is resolved otherwise they will help me .
It's been nothing but hassle and hard work to get anything sorted and that includes other members of store. The whole store is not happy .

I have got a team leader to look on the work and pay system to see if any holidays have been carried over and none have.

Sherwoodforest

@Tereza51 so have you not actually returned off sick as of the 31st march then?

Redshoes

I think there is confusion between what you are asking and what has been processed. I don't think a team leader can see that you have had holidays moved forward, if they can I think there is a privacy issue.
I have a colleague who is on long term sick. I contacted her and told her I would have to move her to sick whilst on holiday so we could process the holidays before the end of March. Once the holidays were used up she went back to normal long term sick.

Nomad

Off sick and on holiday at the same time, thought that was a no-no.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Teraza51

Quote from: Redshoes on 12-04-23, 08:31AMI think there is confusion between what you are asking and what has been processed. I don't think a team leader can see that you have had holidays moved forward, if they can I think there is a privacy issue.
I have a colleague who is on long term sick. I contacted her and told her I would have to move her to sick whilst on holiday so we could process the holidays before the end of March. Once the holidays were used up she went back to normal long term sick.
As I work in an express the work and pay system is allocated to a couple of people including myself and we r able to see if any holidays have been carried over .
I have now managed to get my outstanding holidays put on system and waiting to see if they get paid on the next pay period

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk