News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

24-04-24, 03:29PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,404
  • Total Topics: 637
  • Online today: 317
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 217
Total: 220

Shift leader role

Started by Sjm23, 02-04-23, 11:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb39

I've worked at a metro that is now an express for 4 years. I have been a shift leader for nearly a year now and I'm the longest serving SL in our store. People have stepped down and most SL leave Tesco as the work load and responsibility is crippling.  I am over 50 and find it very challenging every single shift,  we have 3 grocery deliveries a week of 20 to 30 cages and 6 deliveries of 14 to 20 cages of fresh. We have nearly 40 CAs and most are on 16 hours a week and 1 person off sick makes it incredibly hard to fill and face and keep the store open.  I asked to be a step up and a week later was asked what shifts I could run so haven't had an interview.  I think I do a decent job, but it is hard to keep the staff and customers happy and can see myself here until I retire.

whatajoke2019

One of our TMs is stepping down to SL as part of the changes, they've made it pretty clear to anyone & everyone as soon as they find a job elsewhere that suits their commitments outside of work they won't be hanging around.

Another store in our group can't hold onto TMs at night (as in, every six months or so a vacancy comes up there!) and another one gets through SLs like I get through bags of crisps  :D

Kr33zy

There's no structured approach to their development and training. There's no achievable timescales and milestones for them. In our store it just pretty much goes the way of chucking them onto the deep end and then checking if they come out on the other side or not.
That way you'll never retain anyone.
Plus the role itself is c**p and if your management team don't support you then you can't expect anyone to stick around.

Redshoes

There is a whole training package online for shift leaders. We are getting weekly reports with progress.

Onestar

Does anyone know who the shift leaders report to? I hear it's the lead manager in large stores

jgerry

I've been told the shift leaders answer to the store manager... I wish them luck

Ashbeck

The shift leaders report to the lead team in our store.

BobsBananas

To put it simply, it just isn't worth it. I did it for six months a few years ago and found myself doing the manager's job for him for a lot less pay. I felt such relief when I stepped down.
My store is currently advertising for six team leaders to replace the six managers that have been made redundant. So far there is little to no interest. The team leaders on nights are both kids who think they're better than they are, and it won't be long before they fail.
Given Tesco's propensity for flip-flopping, I give it eighteen months before we're back to having managers in charge instead of TLs.

Tesc0Wow

Store specific I believe, it would make sense to report to senior management if one is present in the store. If not then SM.

ElderEnclave

Quote from: Dundonald on 03-04-23, 12:54PMdoes anyone know what the shift leader rate of pay is per hour?
Currently £13.28 an hour.

I wasn't interviewed, a collegue moved to another store and I was asked if I would like the job. I knew everything before and was left to run the shop before offered it.

redeo

Quote from: Sjm23 on 02-04-23, 11:55PMDoes anyone else's store have a problem retaining shift leaders? My store is like a revolving door with them with none of the originals left.  Also how hard is the interview as we currently have some questionable s/l's and it baffles us as to how they ever passed the interview.
I got a shift leader and you know what, I square he doesn't know more than 5 words of english. How he got the job, well I suspect he good buddies with one of the managers and that all I'm saying.

redeo

Quote from: Redshoes on 10-04-23, 07:54AMThere is a whole training package online for shift leaders. We are getting weekly reports with progress.
If that training is of the same quality as all of Tesco other training materials, we are screwed.

Hammer10

All I see sl doing is standing around talking not doing a bean of work.

Bobmay

Quote from: Sjm23 on 02-04-23, 11:55PMDoes anyone else's store have a problem retaining shift leaders? My store is like a revolving door with them with none of the originals left.  Also how hard is the interview as we currently have some questionable s/l's and it baffles us as to how they ever passed the interview.
Shift leader is rubbish position I dont advise unless you want to be in a manager postion one day. Shift leaders are expected to work harder everytime to the point where workload us increasing rapidly

Bobmay

Quote from: Hammer10 on 03-04-23, 06:47PM13.28 poor pay for too much responsibility.
Rubbish pay I work nights in an Express store and get 14.30 an hour and 16 hour every Sunday and weekends

Bobmay

Unless you want to be become a manager and progress within the co plant I don't advise you to become a shift leader, it is far to stressful and  or worth the money.  Your do her paid extra than other people jwobeer you have 4 times the work of them and only her no more than 2 pound an hour extra.  My advise for people is that if you don't enjoy shift leader position but need it for money you should look for other jobs start a business or go back to education.  There is various opportunities.

Nomad

Quote from: Bobmay on 09-06-23, 10:43AMYour do her paid extra than other people jwobeer
 8-)  :-\  :o
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

whatajoke2019

We keep joking in our store one of the shift leaders is going to need an awful lot of toilet roll when they've taken their nose out of the TMs backsides  ;)

Itsthatlad

Been a shift leader quite sometime now, and 110% regret it! The job role is made up to whatever the Dept Managers don't want to do. If anything goes wrong, the shift leaders are guaranteed to get the blame, and if they ain't in at the time it goes backwards to when we are to the blame game starting.

Rotas are now just 99.9% Shift Leaders on lates. Managers literally do what they want when they want, never see them to a 9hr shift! Now they refuse to point blank do sundays. So again we are made to pick them up. There are 3x as many Managers, so work that out to how many lates we have to do. The last i heard from a rep was managers should be doing at min 2 early 2 lates and 1 middle..... NEVER HAPPENS!

Never felt so undervalued, underrated in all my life! The work life balance is zero. For a decent size Extra with a 300 staff count its horrendous for a shift leader to have a few middle shifs, to put the kids to bed, or go out for tea.

The pay rise was nice, but doesn't do our job description justice especially for Shift Leader/Duty Managers. I'd happy go run the checkouts for the same money, because we have to manage the team support. Its about time someome actually looked at what we have to actually do, compared what the Job Role pack thinks we do.

I ADVISE ANYONE NOT TO STEP UP!

Hammer10

If you got anything about you challenge the store manager or sd you may get some respect from them else they will continue to walk all over you and your colleagues.Tell them you will step down if nothing is done .

Itsthatlad

Mentioned it numerous times, in 1-1, in conversation, even as the rota is being done!

There is no respect for Shift Leaders, only useful for doing lates, and for someone to blame!

Shame really, but I dont see Shift Leaders hanging around to progress. I honestly think they will come and go, until someone realises and makes changes across the board.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Itsthatlad on 20-06-23, 03:20PMMentioned it numerous times, in 1-1, in conversation, even as the rota is being done!

There is no respect for Shift Leaders, only useful for doing lates, and for someone to blame!

Shame really, but I dont see Shift Leaders hanging around to progress. I honestly think they will come and go, until someone realises and makes changes across the board.
The greatest fallacy was that the belief of being good at being a shift leader meant quick progression, you also have to be on good terms with your Store Manager.

I've left that life behind 5 years ago, in those 5 years I've got the equivalent of 8 promotions above the Shift Leader position, half of those progressions I can attribute to my leveraging of Supply and Demand and being confident and assertive.

Now I'm back at Tesco as head of technology and it's a night and day difference to what it was like as a Shift Leader, for the better.

Sherwoodforest

@itsthatlad surely thats a reflection of  your store manager,leadership starts from the top,make sure your whatmatterstoyou reflects your feelings,we had 3 seniors before that never did lates,must be some god syndrome in some that think theyre too important to see the full customer experience in their stores,
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Itsthatlad

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 20-06-23, 07:25PM@itsthatlad surely thats a reflection of  your store manager,leadership starts from the top,make sure your whatmatterstoyou reflects your feelings,we had 3 seniors before that never did lates,must be some god syndrome in some that think theyre too important to see the full customer experience in their stores,
its more of a shame, that the managers don't get to see their own teams and colleagues, for months on end.  That isn't a manager. How can they "people manage" without having any sort of contact? It's a joke. When the time/opportunity comes my way, I'll have to step down/away for my own sanity.

Itsthatlad

Quote from: NightAndDay on 20-06-23, 05:52PM
Quote from: Itsthatlad on 20-06-23, 03:20PMMentioned it numerous times, in 1-1, in conversation, even as the rota is being done!

The greatest fallacy was that the belief of being good at being a shift leader meant quick progression, you also have to be on good terms with your Store Manager.

I've left that life behind 5 years ago, in those 5 years I've got the equivalent of 8 promotions above the Shift Leader position, half of those progressions I can attribute to my leveraging of Supply and Demand and being confident and assertive.

Now I'm back at Tesco as head of technology and it's a night and day difference to what it was like as a Shift Leader, for the better.
Well done, you clearly had the drive, and determination to get where you wanted to be. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at what I do. I've never had the sit down talk about my performance, or how I manage the shift, or the turnaround of the shift, however as a collective team, it's tragic, everyone is so defeated, deflated and persaonally I think its so sad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk