News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

25-04-24, 05:46AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,408
  • Total Topics: 638
  • Online today: 556
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 489
Total: 491

Shift leader role

Started by Sjm23, 02-04-23, 11:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sjm23

Does anyone else's store have a problem retaining shift leaders? My store is like a revolving door with them with none of the originals left.  Also how hard is the interview as we currently have some questionable s/l's and it baffles us as to how they ever passed the interview.

leeds106

Quote from: Sjm23 on 02-04-23, 11:55PMDoes anyone else's store have a problem retaining shift leaders? My store is like a revolving door with them with none of the originals left.  Also how hard is the interview as we currently have some questionable s/l's and it baffles us as to how they ever passed the interview.

You generally find that everyone sees a job and thinks it's easy and when they step into that role and realise it isn't as easy as they thought they will run for the hills.

I'm currently a night manager and have a huge concern for who will be my shift leaders because I haven't been included in the interviews for the roles but will be expected to deliver a shop with the SL's largely running my shop floor so I can concentrate more on my actual role. Depending on how fussy your store manager is it could be a simple or very demanding role, I know mine is the latter but as my night team all finish at 6am the person that's been given the SL role has no idea what a walk round by my store manager is like but he will find out very fast it's not as easy as it looks I suspect and that it's a very demanding role.

Tesc0Wow

I think there's too many problems with the shift lead role in large. I was one and have left the company. Only till recently the pay wasn't worth the responsibility, IE I would be paid same as a Team Support yet i would be looking after the store. They would be looking after 4 checkouts. If they got stuck, guess who they're calling, me.

The role pack is too big, and being accountable for a whole large store is too much. I would mainly look after replen, along with holding duty.

Also the fact I'd be on my own for such significant periods of time, usually 6+ hours a day with no other manager in the building. It can become quite a lonely role too.

It's a hard role and your always the first in the firing line if something doesn't happen.

Despite this, your expected to always hold duty if your in. Yet if you ask a manager to do something most of the time they will say no as they're a higher WL than you.

Overall I am greatful for doing the role. As I have learnt a lot, but it was never a job I saw myself doing for more than 2 years. It's the toughest job I've had and I'm glad to have moved on.

Dundonald

Dundonald

in my store we had 2  vacancies for shift leaders,one vacancy was filled,the other vacancy has been lying available for approx 6 months,the vacancy has been advertised a few times both internally and externally,still no interest has been shown in the vacancy,the job vacancy has now been filled by an outside contractor.

Dundonald

does anyone know what the shift leader rate of pay is per hour?

trivi

Put it this way if I was offered the chance to step down to full time CA, I'd do it without a second thought

Hammer10

13.28 poor pay for too much responsibility.

Davethebave

That's just under 25k a year for full time before you factor in any OT, BH or Sundays.

General Thorn

In my store, we have lost all our original shift leaders. Parts of the jobs they originally applied for kept changing and they got more and more added to.

None of the originals would even contemplate taking on the job again and are all very happy working away from Tesco. Most of the S/Ls we have now would love to step down but have got used to the money earned each month from working full time hours.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Davethebave on 04-04-23, 07:04AMThat's just under 25k a year for full time before you factor in any OT, BH or Sundays.

With the above, it'll typically be above £26k (above £27k with location pay).

When full time minimum wage is now £20-£21k a year and CAs can earn £22-23k a year it doesn't go as far as it did 8 years ago, but is more reasonable than before (maybe about the same when additional responsibilities are factored in).

£27k a year today is reasonable I'd say, not great, but enough if you live within your means. Maybe more so up north.

£27k a year where I live outside of London but more expensive than London where glorified cardboard box studio flats rent out at £4,000 a month and the council tax is more expensive and location pay not as much, you'll be using food banks.

Redshoes

It's not all about the pay though, it has to be about the job. I don't get when people stay in a job they hate. My time as a manager has been hard. I don't mind hard. I can honestly say the time has always gone by so fast, the job has been interesting and the people I work with great.
Someone once said to me that you can do a bad job with great people and enjoy it but you can't do a great job with bad people. I agree with that.
We spend a great deal of our waking hours at work. If it's a bad job that's a terrible way to live. It does not have to give you pleasure but the balance has to be on the right side. We need to live, a job is just a job. We need to earn enough to survive and work has to not be awful. What is awful to one person is not to another.

NightAndDay

It's not all about pay, but a ruddy good majority of it is, if you're not paid enough to live then you're not paid enough to work, and while £26k a year for a Shift Leader is absolutely acceptable in many parts of the country, it is simply not sustainable in others.

I'd say 60% of job satisfaction is how much it pays, 20% is the work culture including progression and 20% are the people you work with.

General Thorn

Quote from: Redshoes on 05-04-23, 04:02AMIt's not all about the pay though, it has to be about the job. I don't get when people stay in a job they hate. My time as a manager has been hard. I don't mind hard. I can honestly say the time has always gone by so fast, the job has been interesting and the people I work with great.
Someone once said to me that you can do a bad job with great people and enjoy it but you can't do a great job with bad people. I agree with that.
We spend a great deal of our waking hours at work. If it's a bad job that's a terrible way to live. It does not have to give you pleasure but the balance has to be on the right side. We need to live, a job is just a job. We need to earn enough to survive and work has to not be awful. What is awful to one person is not to another.

In the area I live in there are many low paying jobs but it is a very expensive part of the country to try and own a home or even rent, if that was possible.

S/Ls have now built their lives around the higher, stable wage that they get and can't just step down to the insecurities of being a C/A on 16 hours a week relying on overtime.

It's all very well saying you can't understand people staying in a job they hate but circumstances sometimes dictates it. We are a great little team in my store but S/Ls do have a very, very demanding role.

Redshoes

I understand how it can be hard to leave a job when you have regular money coming in. I have done over 30 years with the company so no expert at moving on. I have had odd weeks over the years where I have hated the job but it's a phase and does not last. I just think misery, week in and week out is just not worth any money. If you can't leave the job you need to change your mindset. I am not saying you need to start singing praises instead, I'm only saying you just need to let go of some things. It's just not healthy, life is difficult and it does not need to be made harder. I have seen many changes I did not agree with, I have had my own workload increased to such a high level and then had additional tasks added on. There are ways of dealing with that. When my store manager arrives in work he does the rounds. I tell him where we are store wise for the day, I tell him my plans for the day. He then sometimes says "I will let you get on and leave you alone today" but sometimes he will say "fine, but I want you to do this first". Other times he will just change my whole day. The way I look at it is that it's his store and his choice. If he knows that I need to get out overtime but he wants me to do a mock audit I will do the mock audit. Sometimes it's just filling he wants but I don't mind that either. It used to be the first thing you were told when starting options, you need to plan your day but you need to roll with the changes. Rolling with the changes is the key thing. Not being able to do this causes stress and misery.

Redshoes

Quote from: Hammer10 on 03-04-23, 06:47PM13.28 poor pay for too much responsibility.

Most of the time it's just running the shop floor. It's not an hourly or even daily things that larger issues arise. When you have bigger issues there is strong support. I was only manager in the building for my whole s*** yesterday and I had an EPW, a phone call from the remote monitoring people about an issue at the pfs, a bakery issue and an SD visit all at the same time. I had a great shift. I enjoyed yesterday.
There is a lot of responsibility, it how you feel about these responsibilities though. If you feel that dealing with an issue at the pfs is interrupting your day and pushing you out your comfort zone it's not going to be worth it. If you feel that there is job satisfaction in being able to deal with issues as they arise that is different. To me a manager role has been interesting and I have not always known the answer but I like gaining that experience. Shift leaders are moving into this the old manager role, but with less accountabilities. They do however hold the duty phone. I am seeing shift leaders in training now. I do question that they know enough but I remember that it was once me. As you learn the responsibility seems so much less.

Attilla

Jeez there's some soft arse lickers on this site, when they think or justify 27k as a management wage. Soft in the head. You're being  taken for fools.

NightAndDay

For entry level managers/Shift Leaders in Retail, it's par the course for the industry. Not saying it's a great salary, but it is what it is.  It's reasonable for the stage of development most would be at for that much. The competition most likely won't be paying much more than that, if at all.

Experienced Retail Team Managers should be on no more than £40k a year in my honest opinion and £50k a year for Express Store Managers (£55k for London and Fuelsite)

FallenBleak

I work in an express. It's tough. All the SL would happily step down. We have to do everything. Batch 1 and 2 labels. Potential reductions/second reductions/finals etc. Cash admin. Wages. Fill deliveries. Cleaning. Merch plans. PVing etc.

It's hard to keep good SL in express as then soon move on.

trivi

Quote from: Redshoes on 06-04-23, 09:17AM
Quote from: Hammer10 on 03-04-23, 06:47PM13.28 poor pay for too much responsibility.

Most of the time it's just running the shop floor. It's not an hourly or even daily things that larger issues arise. When you have bigger issues there is strong support. I was only manager in the building for my whole s*** yesterday and I had an EPW, a phone call from the remote monitoring people about an issue at the pfs, a bakery issue and an SD visit all at the same time. I had a great shift. I enjoyed yesterday.
There is a lot of responsibility, it how you feel about these responsibilities though. If you feel that dealing with an issue at the pfs is interrupting your day and pushing you out your comfort zone it's not going to be worth it. If you feel that there is job satisfaction in being able to deal with issues as they arise that is different. To me a manager role has been interesting and I have not always known the answer but I like gaining that experience. Shift leaders are moving into this the old manager role, but with less accountabilities. They do however hold the duty phone. I am seeing shift leaders in training now. I do question that they know enough but I remember that it was once me. As you learn the responsibility seems so much less.

Can tell you don't work in express, definitely not "just running the shopfloor"

Davethebave

Quote from: NightAndDay on 06-04-23, 03:07PMFor entry level managers/Shift Leaders in Retail, it's par the course for the industry. Not saying it's a great salary, but it is what it is.  It's reasonable for the stage of development most would be at for that much. The competition most likely won't be paying much more than that, if at all.

Experienced Retail Team Managers should be on no more than £40k a year in my honest opinion and £50k a year for Express Store Managers (£55k for London and Fuel site)

As a manager of 20 years, with consistent good reviews etc, I'm on 28.6k. The pay for managers isn't great and isn't what GAs think it is. Tesco need to up the game if they want to keep any sort of management structure in the next few months

NightAndDay

That's more than a little concerning, considering that fresh-faced TMs now start out on £26k a year minimum and are due an increase from May, it sounds more like your particular salary with respect to your reviews and tenure is an anomaly and needs to be reviewed by someone senior. It doesn't sound like it's aligned with structure.

Davethebave

The rest of the managers in my store are on similar salarys. All with 10+ years exp.

It doesn't matter about my salary now as I got redundancy but your right when you say it needs reviewed otherwise managers will leave not just my store but across the business

Mrs sparrow

I'm in a medium sized extra and all team managers are on between £26k and £30k, some with over 20 years experience so I think Davethebave's salary is probably normal.

Redshoes

Quote from: trivi on 06-04-23, 05:57PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 06-04-23, 09:17AM

Can tell you don't work in express, definitely not "just running the shopfloor"

In my store we don't believe in duty manager having set duties. They are primarily the duty manager and as such they should not have tasks they can't walk away from. They can and do help but they need to do the duty things as they come up. We do however do labels on a Sunday morning but on a big Sunday there are about 20 but most Sundays there are 1-5. We get hundreds some days in the week. We have wages colleagues and cash office colleagues. These colleague multitask now though as full shifts not required. Wages does PI and then into wages. Cash office does change run and covers breaks at CSD, pfs and checkouts. We still have in store cleaners. We do have a long list of colleagues that are multi-skilled and do several ares in a week and sometimes in a day. Stock control colleagues know how to do pi. Grocery rumble fresh at the end of the day. Fresh support grocery if fresh delivery is late. Checkouts and trolleys rumble. Some PFS colleagues also do shift on CSD. CSD can and do pick up checkout and fresh overtime. Some checkout colleagues do dual roles on grocery and others pick up fresh overtime.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk