Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-05-24, 07:01PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,908
  • Latest: Old man
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,562
  • Total Topics: 647
  • Online today: 661
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 46
Total: 48

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExSMfloor

Expected grades are ALWAYS done before end of year and rarely changed as above, not sure who's kidding who there - it's always been the case!

trolleyboy96

I would take redundancy, really would now, turned it down 4 times in the last few years, disillusioned by the expectation and workload expected, I understand where how my team feel and know most of them would take it but the colleague role change has removed that option, I wonder if changing all managers to team manager last year and no attached title will mean the same...

forrestgimp

Quote from: Harry_houdini on 20-01-23, 02:38PMShift leaders will do all the jobs managers did and in some stores are anyway. Been a long time coming but as I say was held off due to lock down. With massive profits this year company has enough to get rid of manager headcount.

They already do it in our store, managers in the shop but no where to be seen only a maniacal laughing to be heard from the admin room or if its the SMs day off his office. 

Sitandwait

Quote from: Harry_houdini on 20-01-23, 08:35PMA lot of the current headcount of managers are recent to role so on lot less money than some of the old guard who have been in the same roles for years. The higher paid ones will hopefully take the redundancy where as the newer ones will take the step down to shift leader on a protected salary for 18 months. That way the concern for not having managers in stores is negated as they will remain just classed as shift leaders.

I believe the pay protection was updated December 22 and details its protected for 2 years now

Sitandwait

Quote from: Tesco gimp on 20-01-23, 07:49PM
Quote from: BenPvfc on 20-01-23, 06:32PM
Quote from: Harry_houdini on 20-01-23, 02:38PMSadly this was meant to happen before covid but was put on hold. I worked in H/o as part of the restructure team and then moved to store and now after creating opportunities outside of Tesco am now able to totter along as a GA with no worries in the world. Managers will be paid out with redundancy or given option to step down to shift leader with 18mth protected pay, new senior role (re structuring of seniors) will go into store to carry out formal/ disciplinary actions and act in SM absence. Shift leaders will do all the jobs managers did and in some stores are anyway. Been a long time coming but as I say was held off due to lock down. With massive profits this year company has enough to get rid of manager headcount.
Bit drastic ain't it ? Surely store specific
I so hope this is true as after 32 years I'm done I got told today a colleague should be able to fill a household cage in 30 mins I don't think prove it was the answer he was looking for

Responded in the correct way it's totally a fair answer to the statement.  In fairness majority of household cages could be knocked off within 30 min per cage... apart from those lovely agency ones

stockstaffreduction

Quote from: Olivia Pope on 21-01-23, 10:41AM@stockstackreduction and @davethebabe. I can assure you that EVERY year we are asked to submit expected grades PRIOR to them being completed, of course some may change however with the no grade should be a surprise motto it is very very few that are amended.
The SM meetings in clusters to agree scoring and fairness so consistency can be deemed have been booked in therefore no speculation I am afraid to say we know it's coming just not the final details.

Olivia, well aware of how grades are decided. I have been in Tesco 30yrs+.
I was just highlighting the point that grades are decided before you as a manager can challenge them.
Some store managers will give selected grades to those who they like or who do things for them.
The Grocery manager in my store a few years ago was totally useless, and I mean useless. I've worked with a lot of managers over the last 31 years.
However, he would cover all the late nights,sundays, manager absence, goto a well known sandwich shop and get the SM his lunch, and update his computer out so he could have nemerous performance trackers upto date.
This is the same scenario in a lot of businesses, however Tesco claim to be fair.
And just to clarify I can never been anything less then a pass, green, met, good, Satisfactory etc etc

Bobmay

Quote from: kaled78 on 20-01-23, 03:39PMlooks like a lot of dead wood will take redundancy and run then!

If you are coffee redundancy take it han leave. Tesco is no longer good place to work instead of is understaffed and to much work expected for low pay. Hopefully they will cuts nights in small tesco. Which makes sense considering they want to save 1 billion in this year and next year.

Bobmay

Quote from: stockstaffreduction on 20-01-23, 07:45PMInteresting that Redundancy is now an option considering Tesco have moved away from that option for instore staff.
Whislt some of the staff instore believe the shop can run without managers, I am fairly confident Tesco will not allow a £1.6m a week extra to be solely run by shift leaders in the short term.

Wrong redundancy can be offered to staff especially those who hours are changed to suit what the company wants for example nights.

Bobmay

Quote from: Olivia Pope on 21-01-23, 01:36AMThis is the annual review, been in pipeline for sometime however covid hit. The consultation options will be around reapplying for a manager role or apply for shift leader with the protection payment. Mngrs will be able to apply for a position and this could be in any store so some mngrs may look to get nearer home. There will be a scoring process prior hence why grade governance needs signing off Monday 23rd by SM ready for cluster discussions. What matters to you survey being pushed to be completed by Monday ..... They did this with Metro structures, they did people partners just over a year ago and recently the office and security/shrink. They would happily let mngrs take redundancy the long term savings are worth it. Lead team again can apply for position in any store redundancy would be viable option for long serving mngrs. However SM Express is same level so these vacancies will also be on the table.

When will former metro who became Express follow the express format of having few shuft leaders avd one store manager with no night shift? There are many former metro stores that have multiple managers and still have night shift with night manager.

Bobmay

Quote from: trolleyboy96 on 21-01-23, 10:57AMI would take redundancy, really would now, turned it down 4 times in the last few years, disillusioned by the expectation and workload expected, I understand where how my team feel and know most of them would take it but the colleague role change has removed that option, I wonder if changing all managers to team manager last year and no attached title will mean the same...

You missed an large opportunity to take redundancy. Now the only ones who will be able to are those who work nights or those who hours are changed. You are non longer department college but instead tesco colleagues which the reason for tesco bring is that they dont pay redundancy

Totot

I think this year, ceo and director strategy will be interesting, what they will cut and what they gonna push.

Judging from last year financial report, looks great but there are some factors I think still can be play.
https://www.tescoplc.com/media/759057/tesco-annual-report-2022.pdf

I believe, the increase of selling and profit and adjusting operating profit still been driven by higher price of goods, hold on the increase of cost of goods from suppliers, and hold on lower operating cost, this is where our concern is, how much they going to pay us, redundancy offer, bonuses etc.

For sure, ceo and directors will try to reach their target that in general just sales, profit, eps, and non operating such as carbon neutral, gender pay gap, diversity etc.

Increasing pay from lower level is something they can't avoid, it will be about how much they willing to reduce operating profit and make their target harder. Meanwhile managers earning will be capped as usual, and bonus will be given in number and time that won't ruin Q1, Q2 etc target as much, in term of liquidity. Offering redundancy will lower liquidity in short term with high impact, I believe they will try to avoid this as much as possible, hence protection pay will be play even more.

Meanwhile, middle manager will have a big headache, to achieve this while work environment already so bad, and moral so low.

I think this summer will be the test of their strategy and how the middle management will cope with the demand. Meanwhile, there are possibility of deflation and bank of england pivoting interest rate, that will lower their sales and revenue number.

Us in lower level will just keep adjusting our work ethic by how the company treated us, the worst they treated us, the less care us with out job, that will make the job output lower regardless the quantity of work increase such as longer hours.

My bet is, they will try to move people around rather than offering redundancy, if pay increase significant enough, overtime will be less and less hiring new staff. And only boost overtime when things are not under control anymore.

Gender pay gap and diversity will play along too with recruiting staff/manager and career promotion since this is in their objective.

First important move for them I think to decide base pay for lower staff, then calculate if redundancy are feasible within their target if moving around people not as much as they expected.

penguin

Quote from: Bobmay on 21-01-23, 11:56AM
Quote from: trolleyboy96 on 21-01-23, 10:57AMI would take redundancy, really would now, turned it down 4 times in the last few years, disillusioned by the expectation and workload expected, I understand where how my team feel and know most of them would take it but the colleague role change has removed that option, I wonder if changing all managers to team manager last year and no attached title will mean the same...

You missed an large opportunity to take redundancy. Now the only ones who will be able to are those who work nights or those who hours are changed. You are non longer department college but instead tesco colleagues which the reason for tesco bring is that they dont pay redundancy

If a store or stores need to reduce the number of Tesco colleagues be it due to taking less or changes in the job that mean less staff are needed then its still a reduncency situation there are no ifs or buts about it and they will have to pay redundancy pay.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

5fdp

No need for staff redundancy.  Natural wasteage and no recruitment will sort it within a year. Most stores have about 10% turnover of staff. Unless your a mgr or nights you have no chance of redundancy. 

Monkeyman

Quote from: 5fdp on 21-01-23, 04:32PMNo need for staff redundancy.  Natural wasteage and no recruitment will sort it within a year. Most stores have about 10% turnover of staff. Unless your a mgr or nights you have no chance of redundancy. 
What about Tesco instore security guards what's your thoughts 🤔??

Sherwoodforest

Instore security?natural wastage id of thought as theyre only going to pay agency instead,so what would be the point
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

5fdp

If security are now termed as tesco colleagues and not contracted as security..  no chance. You are just like the rest of the staff. General assistants with a primary dept but assigned to none. As I said before even staff in the fish counters if they were to close would just move to other depts.

2ndtimeround

Wow, some pretty major over analysis and diversifying from the original topic on here.

Anyone actually have a clue about the original claim that " Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!"

I'll have a quick guess myself.

No one can legally be demoted without actually agreeing a change of role !
Slight oversimplification but that would be against employment law and for all of USDAW's bad press they are actually pretty good at protecting us there.

You can't lose pay unless you agree to a change without recourse through tribunal.
Hmm wonder who could come in handy here to?.

This isn't meant as a pop at anyone guys, simply a reminder to utilise the protection that is afforded us in law and the fact that most of us already pay USDAW to be there to provide the guidance needed to utilise this.

Sherwoodforest

No such thing as redundancy until your offered it,why worry about ifs till your sure whats happening
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

2ndtimeround

The company will avoid a redundancy option until it is absolutely necessary to offer it.
Realistically they do not want to lose the skills that have been built up over the years.
That said the market has changed and they can not afford to pay as much for those skills any more, so will be searching for ways to resolve this.

The real question though is would you actually be worse off or better off as a Shift Leader than a manager if the speculation is to be believed?, even if it's all nonesense there is a chain of thought that would suggest that when you work it out into actuall hours in work, that a colleague doesn't really earn much less than a manager ?
there are an awful lot of variables to take into account, not least of which is the shift leader role is hourly paid not salaried, if this continues to be treated this way then it's quite feasible to earn more rather than less. 🤔
1. How many managers actually work the 36hr week they are paid for ?
2. How much would you actually earn at the lower hourly rate if you were paid for every hour ?
3. With the current claims culture would Tesco not be more comfortable knowing they are paying a rate that can't be challenged again. ? (ie, the previous very expensive legal case about hours)

Hammer10

That's why I stepped down I worked it out I was only on 8 pound an hour when  I was a manager due to hours I was putting in and not seeing much of the family .

Joker2005

This is what is on colleague help regarding overtime for Salaried colleagues:

If colleagues find that they need to work additional hours on a regular basis to perform their job role, they should speak to their manager about this, as accountabilities and objectives are expected to be achievable within normal working hours. However, there may be times when flexibility may be needed on the colleague's part, but this should be an exception rather than the norm.  For example, the manager may ask a colleague to work extra hours to complete a specific piece of work or to meet a tight deadline outside of the normal working week.

If additional hours are required, the colleague should talk to their manager before actually working them to agree how this will be managed. Normally this will be paid, but salaried colleagues do have the option of Time Off In Lieu.  (Please note that we no longer operate Time off in Lieu for hourly paid colleagues who have moved to the Work & Pay Payroll system).

Where an overtime payment is agreed in advance of colleagues working the extra hours, overtime will be paid at the following rates:

madness

Quote from: Hammer10 on 21-01-23, 06:36PMThat's why I stepped down I worked it out I was only on 8 pound an hour when  I was a manager due to hours I was putting in and not seeing much of the family .
What manager role was that and in what type of shop?

keef1894

Will all of this affect service team support or do we continue on as usual. In my store we dont have any offtill activity so are back and forth getting calls helping in selfservice areas and all of that stuff aswell as sorting schedules training and so on

coutteamleader

Lead Team redundancy or step down with protected pay
Team manager apply for a new manager role with greater responsibility obviously be less roles than current amount of managers so they will be offered redundancy or step down with protected pay
Recruitment of new shift leaders
Checkout team leaders no more and replaced by normal colleagues doing the basics

keef1894

So we basically become shift leaders for front end like the role is meant to be without having to get calls and so on?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk