Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:44PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 295
Total: 300

health and safety.. manual handling

Started by jpc34, 06-10-22, 09:10AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpc34

Health and safety guidelines advise on manual handling and lifting weights. Maximum weight to be lifted above shoulder height is 10kg for men and 7kg for women. For arm's length is 5kg for men and 3kg for women. Maximum weight to be lifted by women is 16kg at waist height. As current Dot Com tray weights are running at 18 to 20 kg, why is Tesco apparently flaunting the regulations and putting colleagues health at risk ??

Nomad

You cannot view this attachment.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

FarmerFred

Quote from: jpc34 on 06-10-22, 09:10AMHealth and safety guidelines advise on manual handling and lifting weights. Maximum weight to be lifted above shoulder height is 10kg for men and 7kg for women. For arm's length is 5kg for men and 3kg for women. Maximum weight to be lifted by women is 16kg at waist height. As current Dot Com tray weights are running at 18 to 20 kg, why is Tesco apparently flaunting the regulations and putting colleagues health at risk ??
They are "guidelines" and not "regulations" - it's down to Tesco to risk assess each task and decide what is appropriate and what mitigations, if any, are required. If a colleague injures themselves as a result then Tesco have to stand up in court and explain why the injury occurred.

horatiocain

I would point out that dotcom trays should not exceed 15kgs including the tray, so they're already overloading them if yours are exceeding this.

Villager No.6

Is there a Tesco document quoting this? Am asking as whenever I've bought up tray weights I've been asked (told) to show proof that there's a "not to exceed" limit and the "limit" is what you as the driver assess you can safely carry and if you think it's too much to take an empty tray and a blank label and make up another tray.

Quite often have to repack trays to distribute the weight more evenly, eg: pickers will put a 6 x 2.5ltr water pack with a box of washing powder and some tinned products in one tray and a single packet of biscuits in another!

madness

I'd be bunging that 1 pack of biscuits in that tray and having less trips to the customers front door.
Or if it's that big an issue when loading put the washing up liquid in that tray to even it out.
Either way it's not a big problem and frankly seems like people are making mountains out of molehills here about tray weights. 90% of them are light with the odd heavier one in summer when everyone orders water and juice.

DisposableManager

Quote from: jpc34 on 06-10-22, 09:10AMHealth and safety guidelines advise on manual handling and lifting weights. Maximum weight to be lifted above shoulder height is 10kg for men and 7kg for women. For arm's length is 5kg for men and 3kg for women. Maximum weight to be lifted by women is 16kg at waist height. As current Dot Com tray weights are running at 18 to 20 kg, why is Tesco apparently flaunting the regulations and putting colleagues health at risk ??
I feel this is you being quite dramatic and looking for something to moan at. When I support loading vans I haven't come accross anything excessive and if did by some miracle I'd just split it to another tray.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk