News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:06AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 270
Total: 270

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim up north

Quote from: lucgeo on 13-05-23, 12:10PMAnd while they're at it they can look into the pre packed chestnut button mushrooms...can't get any kind of loose mushrooms at my store and yesterday I couldn't find one pack that didn't have overlong stems, they made up a huge proportion of the pack!

I emailed the customer services a few weeks back when the stems were ridiculously big per ratio of the actual mushrooms...if I'd have had a kitchen scales I'd have weighed the stems and compared weights between stem and head! Usual answer given, we'll check with our supplier  >:(

Cant you eat the stem?

fatlad

I do, just tastes like the rest of it!

lucgeo

Yes you can eat the stems, but they are not the best part of a mushroom and you won't find over long stems in a chef produced meal.

It's like the the comparison of red and pink salmon...brisket and sirloin etc...etc..
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

grim up north

Is it because the chef has cut the stems off?

lucgeo

The chef would usually cut it flush, as it's the root of the plant...a button mushroom is because it's a neat button shape, the majority of stores, especially the discounters, cut the stems flush to the base of the mushroom. Tesco are the exception.
The big flat mushrooms, have their stems cut out for ease of cooking, hard to fry a button with a big long root protruding out!

I'd only leave a longer stem if I wanted to bulk out a stew/casserole dish, but then I'd buy a cheaper value grade or reduced.

Just call me Heston... :D  :D  :D  :D

grim up north

Things cant be that bad lucgeo if all there is to complain about is the length of the stem on chestnut mushrooms :thumbup:

Duff McKagan

I'd imagine its so they can sell less mushrooms for the same price, make the weight up with stems. Cut all the stems short and they might have to add an extra mushroom top to each punnet, it's all about the bottom line.

lucgeo

Duff...got it in one  :thumbup: thank you  :thumbup:

Nomad

It is also connected with 'give an inch and they'll take a mile'.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nomad

The value of Tesco's pension fund has plummeted by £9 billion

QuoteLast year, Tesco's assets saw a 42% drop to £13 billion, in one of the largest pension value drops that the industry saw last autumn.

Despite the shortfall, Tesco has no plans to pay more into its pension plan, which was closed to new members in 2015.

Ooooooops
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Why Tesco should come clean on its CEO's tax affairs

QuoteThe point of interest was that Murphy seems to be based in Ireland for tax purposes. Where he presumably pays less, and of course, nothing to the UK government where most of the business is based.

Ask your MM if they can pay your wages to your distant cousin in Ireland  8-)  8)

>:(  >:(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Tesco mimics Morrisons with The Fresh Market layout

QuoteTesco is trialling a new layout for its fresh food aisles, as it looks to improve the shopping experience following its decision to scrap all its fresh counters.

The supermarket is bringing in new signage and lower-level displays for fresh products including the fruit & veg, fish and meat aisles.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

grim up north

lucgeo

Quote from: Nomad on 18-05-23, 08:48AMTesco mimics Morrisons with The Fresh Market layout

QuoteTesco is trialling a new layout for its fresh food aisles, as it looks to improve the shopping experience following its decision to scrap all its fresh counters.

The supermarket is bringing in new signage and lower-level displays for fresh products including the fruit & veg, fish and meat aisles.

I recall years ago ASDA brought in new low level chillers, customers kept banging their heads on the top cabinet of the fridges, as they were too low for people distracted leaning forward to get to the stock!

renown

Stevie-lad

Hope he's a member of USDAW  ;D  ;D

King1999

We know how useful that will be. :thumbup:

the photographer

If the gmb union is in Tesco depots why can't we have them in the stores and oust the usdaw (Tesco)

Nomad

Lidl may seek bite of Tesco's Clubcard profits

QuoteLidl is seeking financial disclosure from Tesco – including revenue and operating profit for Tesco as a whole and from Clubcard holders – to calculate what profit Tesco may have made from infringing its trademark.

Both Lidl and Tesco agreed on Monday that they will try to resolve the issue of disclosure, after which Lidl must decide whether to seek damages or an account of profits made by Tesco.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

grim up north

Any info jonty? Cant read it without subscribing

jonty

New Tesco range review to have 'huge' implications for suppliers

Admin, link should work in full once.  If not close your browser and reopen it.

whatajoke2019

Wonder if this partly explains the 'back stock' simplification algorithim coming in from week 19 & grocery promo going to four weekly?

Nomad

Tesco staff to protest against automated checkouts at AGM
QuoteTesco staff are to stage a protest against the automation of grocery stores this month, ahead of the grocer's AGM at its Welwyn Garden City headquarters.

The demonstration will take place in two weeks' time, on Friday 16 June at 10am, at Welwyn Garden City train station, where shuttle buses are taking shareholders to the grocer's AGM.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk