News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-04-24, 10:03AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,355
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 303
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 303
Total: 305

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

I am fully aware of that, it does have a very wide definition, verbal abuse being one of them.

Is it possible they really mean domestic violence.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

BritishRacingGreen

Domestic abuse can be verbal, physical, emotional, sexual, financial or phsychological - sometimes all ..

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lucgeo

Abuse of any kind is not funny...but sometimes you've just gotta lighten up!

If it's one thing us Brits used to be renowned for, was our ability to laugh at ourselves...to find humour in the most dire of circumstances. But then the PC brigade arrived followed by the WOKES all mostly heralding from the USA!

Sometimes If you don't laugh you'll cry!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

BritishRacingGreen

Oh. Dear. Me. The 'joking' excuse.
Nothing 'woke' about being hit for not having dinner ready when he came home early. Nothing 'woke' about being beaten up for not being able to get his cigarettes because you didn't have enough money.
We're talking 40 years ago here - when did the phrase 'woke' begin to be used to cover up pure, unadulterated violence?

Nomad

My first comment was intended to bring attention to this line in the news article:
QuoteTesco said there will be no requirement for workers availing of the leave to submit proof of abuse

Because domestic abuse/violence in whatever form it takes, one of which could be foul language to your partner, they have in all probability given two weeks paid leave to those who have a tendency to play the system, i.e. no prof required.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

BritishRacingGreen

or ... they have increased the duty of care to employees. It is sometimes difficult to recognise being IN an abusive relationship. If it's difficult to prove to one's self that the relationship is abusive - it is difficult to prove to others that the relationship is abusive if you're blaming yourself for the problems being encountered
Trying to escape an abusive relationship whilst worrying about money, and certainly having to be in work, where the abuser would know where you were, is not an easy situation in which to find yourself.
There will always be those who attempt to work the system unfortunately. That's not to say that those who do need assistance shouldn't be helped along the way.

Nomad

Tesco hit by nationwide IT glitch leaving families 'without food or money'

QuoteTesco faced the wrath of thousands of families after a nationwide IT issue led to delivery orders being cancelled and long delays for their refunds.

The supermarket giant was hit with hundreds of complaints after it admitted "a large number of orders" were cancelled, with customers offered an alternative slot due to the IT issue.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

gomezz

"To Infinity and beyoynggg!!!"  :/
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Nomad

Tesco hit with supplier backlash over new fulfilment fee for online orders

QuoteThe UK's largest retailer has written to its suppliers explaining the new charges, are being brought in to help cover the cost of serving customers online as its digital operations grow and become more complex.

As reported by The Grocer, the fees will be coming into effect on 13 March, and Tesco said any suppliers who don't comply with the new fees could face the threat of range reviews or reduced prices.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Tesco charges every driver £120 when they fill up for fuel - and motorists are furious

Quote"What if there was a family filling up on their way to Tesco and only had £120 left in their bank and then went to try and do a food shop and couldn't pay?

Very good point, Tesco's own notice says 2-48 hours.  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lucgeo

NO...NO...NO!

This is totally wrong on numerous counts.

1) it is an unauthorised withdrawal of funds from your bank!
2) it is a deliberate overcharge for goods supplied, does double the discount apply for the overcharge? 
3) it can put people into debt, by refunds taking up to 48 hours! Meanwhile the direct debits continue and other payments made, which goes into the overdraft and high charges imposed! Is Tesco going to reimburse their customers with the costs incurred?
4) what is the % of drive offs V's full payment customers, to justify penalising the honest customers? I would guess minimal.
5) Are instore shoppers charged a holding fee, in case they've had a push through that day?
6) The interest gained on funds held in Tesco accounts for the duration, even 2 hours would be substantial, considering the amount of customers going through each PFS on a daily basis!

Lastly...if Tesco want to continue this PFS service, they either place better security at the garages or cease providing the service. They can't just label every customer as a potential thief!!

"It's (NOT) what the customer wants!!"

lucgeo

8-) Adding to the above  8-)

What of those who've filled up on the forecourt, but have insufficient funds in their accounts to meet the set £120 charge, and their card is declined  ??? Are they then classed as a drive off?

What of those struggling to pay bills with prepayment meters who now don't have enough to top up for their heat and light!

This is a prime example of some dimwit in head office, dreaming up another ludicrous idea, and probably getting rewarded with a pat on the back and a bonus  :-X

Hammer10

If they can't afford to run petrol stations they should quit the market greedy sods.

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: lucgeo on 16-03-23, 02:29PM8-) Adding to the above  8-)

What of those who've filled up on the forecourt, but have insufficient funds in their accounts to meet the set £120 charge, and their card is declined  ??? Are they then classed as a drive off?

What of those struggling to pay bills with prepayment meters who now don't have enough to top up for their heat and light!

This is a prime example of some dimwit in head office, dreaming up another ludicrous idea, and probably getting rewarded with a pat on the back and a bonus  :-X

In another life, at another supermarket PFS, they took £100 and as soon as the petrol was dispensed, the remaining amount was returned to the customers' card almost immediately, tho there were a couple of instances where balances weren't corrected within the week. It depends upon the card issuer - the bank. Visa and MasterCard instigated the extra amount due to fraudulent transactions. Me - personally - wouldn't touch pay at pump with a bargepole. Used it once - not a Tosco PFS - but the one I was referring to above. £50 diesel + £100 holding fee. The fee took over 2 weeks to return to my card. I used a credit  card as I wasn't going to risk money not being available. The charge sat as pending until cleared.

BritishRacingGreen

The higher charge was instigated to stop the possibility of fuel being obtained when funds weren't available and lessen the risk of what you describe in your 1st paragraph @lucgeo. It used to be just £1.
If funds weren't available for the amount of fuel required plus the charge then the card would be declined. Had quite a few customers complaining that there was nothing wrong with their card. They were advised to click pay at kiosk but this is obviously not able to be done at unmanned petrol stations.

FarmerFred

This comes up every few months - it's a standard pre-authorisation process & has been going on for years at varying levels across a number of retailers and industries such as hotels & car hire. With Pay at Pump, the pump isn't turned on until the hold on the £120 is established in order to prevent fuel being dispensed that the customer cannot pay for which is the reason why you have to put your card in to start the process! In the majority of cases the hold is released within a very short period of time, but can on occasion take time to clear. If you don't want to risk the hold not clearing then just use the pay at kiosk option.

lucgeo

Never heard of it before ??? simple solution for me to go elsewhere...think motorists should be made fully aware before using the pay@pump...big notice on the pumps would be in order!

I certainly would NEVER allow the holding fee on my card...more worrying now as everyone going contactless, of how they quite get away with it  :o

oldfashionedplayer

it's something that's happened for years, it started off at £100, though it wasn't made clear often, many supermarkets and such use, it sainsburys being one of them does it too, however Tesco has a bad track record with it due to the fact that they charge I believe a higher amount than most at £120 now, the problem too is that they all claim it's the bank that does it, so if your bank takes the £120 for petrol, (cause Tesco has set that charge amount), then you have to go through your bank to get the money back, and we all know how difficult it is dealing with a bank compared to going from a bank to somewhere else for money... they sort stuff quicker getting it from elsewhere than they do admitting for their own fault..

if you look it up theres certain banks which have worse track records with this compared to others, so that is something to be wary of when doing it to be honest.

gomezz

The one thing that is being ignored that this is what happens for Debit Cards.  It does not apply to Credit Cards.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

BritishRacingGreen

It does Gomez. I used a credit card the one and only time I used an unmanned PFS. It took two weeks for the 'pending' charge to be removed. Had that been my debit card, I would've been up the creek with out a paddle.

Redshoes

If not happy go into the kiosk. This does not happen with any till transactions.
As someone else has said the process changes, I suspect it will do again shortly. It's not only on our forecourts that this happens. In fact others were doing this way before us.

lucgeo

I think the article was that there were no sign's visible on the pumps advising of the holding fee charge, only a note on the kiosk door.

Redshoes

There was a comms down yesterday to say we are not allowed to make up own signs and we are only allowed to display the corporate sign and a pic of what it looks like.

Totot

This is quite common in US. Ideally it only hold until there is a payment.
What I wonder about this is in legal aspect. As in the use of card,there will be two stages, payment and settlement.

In transaction wise, there are only payment and refund. Holding a money/asset in the card as far as I know, only applied when bank freeze the asset under certain circumstances normally would need court approved. Hence the basic understanding of private belonging/asset, the owner should benefit from it ownership, do whatever they want as long as not against the law.

So in this case, the law maker should make it clear, hence there is some kind of payment in this process that will escalated into settlement. No refund, and freeze asset in certain nominal and time. Is it legal by financial transaction law as binding contract?
Moreover there are no mutual agreement in the beginning of transaction.

I do understand the company point of view. But if this legally not sound, should this system never applied from the beginning?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk