News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:06PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 283
Total: 286

Temp contract

Started by Freebird123, 01-01-20, 06:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freebird123

I have a temp contract that is dated till wednesday next week and I've been told I will get a letter in the post as to whether I'm being kept on or not.  But I've received nothing and nothing is forthcoming from any managers.  What are my rights if my contract date comes and goes with no letter informing me ?

NightAndDay

As far as temporary contracts go, you have no rights in regards to seeking a change to the duration of it to being permanent (this is slightly different if the duration of employment is more than 2 years however) . However while you're in the duration of your contract, you have the same employment rights as the other permanent staff (statutory pro ratad holidays, minimum wage, protection against discrimination etc).

Yogurt

If we need to end your employment we will give you the notice as outlined within your contract:

Store, Distribution and Office Colleagues:

for contracts up to 4 weeks – no notice required.
for contracts more than 4 weeks but less than 12 weeks – 1 week's notice.
for contracts more than 12 weeks – 4 weeks' notice*

Read the policy on OurTesco.

Jobless

Quote from: Freebird123 on 01-01-20, 06:04PM
I have a temp contract that is dated till wednesday next week and I've been told I will get a letter in the post as to whether I'm being kept on or not.  But I've received nothing and nothing is forthcoming from any managers.  What are my rights if my contract date comes and goes with no letter informing me ?

The SM will know just ask him or her. I started off as an Christmas temp and the team managers kept giving me temp contracts from the SM until eventually they made it permanent. I don't see why you should have to wait on a letter. I would keep turning in until they tell you not to.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Yogurt on 01-01-20, 10:10PM
If we need to end your employment we will give you the notice as outlined within your contract:

Store, Distribution and Office Colleagues:

for contracts up to 4 weeks – no notice required.
for contracts more than 4 weeks but less than 12 weeks – 1 week's notice.
for contracts more than 12 weeks – 4 weeks' notice*

Read the policy on OurTesco.

In your employment contract, the terms and conditions form part of your contract of employment with Tesco, if this policy is on the OurTesco website, then that changes things significantly, they will either have to extend your contract otherwise they'd be in breach of contract if they let you go without notice.

Morris999

On Temporary contracts an end date is given on the actual paper contract, so unless the temporary colleagues are told otherwise and given a new contract, they will finish on the date stated on the paper contract.
Not only that they would/should have been told when they started verbally how long the contract is for.
Therefore meeting the timeframes given.

The quote from Yogurt is for permanent colleagues or if the company decide to end the temporary contract early.
If the company ends the temporary colleagues early then those timeframes are used.

So as freebird has been given an end date already, they will finish on Wednesday unless told that they have been extended temporarily or made permanent.

Yogurt

@Freebird123 The colleague should still be given a letter, 'ending on agreed date' or something to that effect.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Freebird123 on 01-01-20, 06:04PM

If you have heard nothing about staying on then you are not staying on unfortunately.

As for rights, You dont have any what you do have is an end date for the contract of employment.

Jobless

Freebird if you want to stay you should ask a manager. They should've told you by now but some are terrible at remembering to do things. The chances are you are not getting kept on. I would ask though if nothing else it'll put them on the spot. They like to bin staff off and seem to think staff will just do the job of 2 3 4. But if the result is negative chin up it'll be in your long term favour. It is only now after over a year of constantly applying for jobs I have managed to find something which works around my other commitments. I wish I had never got involved in the company. But it was a steady low paid job for the rent now it's not even that with threats of culls daily. A permanent contract means nothing and is more hassle than it's worth.

madness

of our 6 xmas temps 1 has been kept on. 3 were off "sick" 3 times in a 6 week period. 1 didn't show up for shifts or just came in when they felt and the other wants to stay but can only do 17-21 tues to thur.

MysteryTurkey

8 were kept on in my store including me.  :D

Jobless

The 5-9 tues to thur sounds good. A long weekend every week.

MysteryTurkey Unlucky!

T2019sackallmanagers

I can remember my tesco employment began with being a temp xmas seasonal worker. How much different my life would have been now if they didn't decide keep me on🤦???

randomworker

At what point in your life will you understand that you have the capacity to take on responsibility and thrive on it and be happy with the choices you make. I can't believe you still work for a company that you have so much dislike for that you even blame them for asking you if you wanted to stay on after being a temp.  :o

T2019sackallmanagers

I don't still work for the company you tit!

Jobless

T2019 go back to your far greater occupation

randomworker

Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 06-01-20, 10:44AM
Quote from: randomworker on 06-01-20, 10:06AM
At what point in your life will you understand that you have the capacity to take on responsibility and thrive on it and be happy with the choices you make. I can't believe you still work for a company that you have so much dislike for that you even blame them for asking you if you wanted to stay on after being a temp.  :o
I don't still work for the company you tit!

But yet you wonder what your life would have been like if Tesco did not offer you a job and you still sh*t on the company even though you have left 8-)

T2019sackallmanagers

[gmod=gomezz]Content deleted - Please can we refrain from abusive name-calling[/gmod]

Freebird123

thanks for all replies :). Update Wednesday is here! as of 12am my contract ended and still no word. I've been told I have a job if I want it offered to me by my manager , then told  as far as  my manager is aware from the office I have a job, then told a letter was in the post to me ... still not received then told theyre 'making up' the permanent contracts for temporary staff ..... then told if my temporary contract end date has expired and they haven't said anything that I do indeed have a permanent job but that I don't get a contract! How do I apart from wages obviously ... prove on paper I work for Tesco, re holidays, terms and conditions if they do not give me a contract? I'm confused by what I'm being told and still no further along. I cant even check on my Our Tesco site because its not allowing me on there anymore and the email they give for password issues is obviously wrong one!  ??? >:( :thumbdown:

NightAndDay

An employment contract is a legal document required to undertake work as an employee. If they're suggesting that you work without a contract, refuse. Apart from the contract providing you with legal protection, it's also evidence that you are owed money whilst under the duration of it provided you comply with the terms and conditions which make up part of the contract.

Working without a contract opens you to all sorts of unscrupulous misconduct, none of which are beneath Tesco.

forrestgimp

not strictly correct in so far as you will not be working with no contract even if yours has run out. Even if the contract has expired Tesco are still bound by the terms you do not need to have signed a contract to be deemed to have one so if they allow you to carry on working you will still be on a contract of some description, My opinion would be there will be one down for you soon enough.

londoner83

Legally speaking you dont need a written contract. The fact you report to work, and Tesco gives you tasks to complete every shift rather than asking you to leave the building implies you are contracted to work for them.

Obviously in the event of any dispute it's far easier to challenge if you have a signed contract however it's fairly easy to search on Our Tesco for standard terms and conditions

lucgeo

Are temps not issued with clock cards? If you still have one, then use it as proof of hours worked. Are you on the rota for upcoming shifts?

I find it somewhat lapsidasical, that you are unsure if you are still employed, and a letter of notice either way, has yet to be received. You are being advised to continue to show up for work? If you don't know if you still work for tesco, if other colleagues don't know either, and it turns out you're not, what are the ramifications with regard legal and H&S  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

Once someone's contract is terminated the clock card no longer registers on the HRAM system. The clock machine will still bleep, etc but the information won't be picked up.

lordadmiral

[admin]Off topic.[/admin]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk