News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:11PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 304
Total: 308

4am starts

Started by Lurker21, 21-06-20, 10:10AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurker21

The 4am starts are starting to take there toll on everyone - has anyone heard when these will be stopping?   At this rate we won’t have any staff to fill the shifts we need and morale is even lower now that the pick rate has increased !

VladPutin

Be grateful you don't have to refill the shelves after you lot have been through a fresh department like a horde of locusts. The morons who decided to hire more Dot Comedy staff should be thrown in ........... .......... >:(

[admin]Please moderate the sentiments you express. Nomad[/admin]

Be grateful you're starting at 4.00 am, in my store they start at 2.00 am

VladPutin

@Nomad that was me moderating my comments. >:D

Biscuits

Quote from: Lurker21 on 21-06-20, 10:10AM
The 4am starts are starting to take there toll on everyone - has anyone heard when these will be stopping?   At this rate we won’t have any staff to fill the shifts we need and morale is even lower now that the pick rate has increased !

We’ve been told to expect to be on them till Christmas, but like you it’s taking it’s toll on everyone. The new pick rate doesn’t help, the trollies are heavier, we’ve all got sore backs, shoulders and knees. We just get pushed harder and harder over pick rate and availability. There’s never any thanks, just threats about hitting pick rate or else. Absolutely no chance to social distance in the corridor in and out the dept. Do feel sorry for the fresh staff who are trying to fill as we’re emptying the shelves, although a lot of the fresh staff do OT on our dept so there’s more understanding than seems to be in Vlad’s store.
The hardest thing is going to bed on the light nights, its impossible to sleep, so then you end up spending half the afternoon sleeping. Yes, it’s better having less time with the customers being in, but just a thank you from the store manager would go a long way.

Paupers wage

Are these changes from 6am to 2/3/4 am starts enforced due to “business needs” or mutually agreed between a colleague and department, isn’t there a choice to stay at 6am start.

Hammer10

How about paying decent wage for the inconvenience .

NightAndDay

Though there are no laws as such regarding additional pay for unsociable hours, the free market self regulates enough to the extent where employers are incentivised to pay additional compensation for unsociable hours due to aspects of employment such as market rates and competition.

When I worked nights in Express, there were no starts after 10pm and before 6am as there was the culture that the unsociable hours premium was for staff who worked all of the unsociable hours, not part of it.

This seems to have diluted somewhat in the past few years but the unsociable hours premium is as far as I'm aware one of the more competitive aspects of Tescos compensation package, even now.

uklions

Its only 6 hours! then got the whole day to sleep.......try being a driver 10 hour,11 hour,12 hour,and 13 hour shifts/ some people dont know how lucky they are

Bean23

It's tough for everyone but I would rather pick when hardly any customers in and everyone should be getting night premium

just curious

Quote from: NightAndDay on 21-06-20, 08:59PM
Though there are no laws as such regarding additional pay for unsociable hours, the free market self regulates enough to the extent where employers are incentivised to pay additional compensation for unsociable hours due to aspects of employment such as market rates and competition.

When I worked nights in Express, there were no starts after 10pm and before 6am as there was the culture that the unsociable hours premium was for staff who worked all of the unsociable hours, not part of it.

This seems to have diluted somewhat in the past few years but the unsociable hours premium is as far as I'm aware one of the more competitive aspects of Tescos compensation package, even now.

How times have changed , i remember the good old days when Tosco respected there staff and valued them and the night premium was paid from ten pm till six am - plus it used to be a third of your hourly rate of pay not the set figure as it is now ( they also used to pay Saturday premiums and double time for Sundays with double night premium for the hours worked between ten pm and midnight due to getting the double time payment which then became classed as a Monday shift once it was midnight but you still got paid a third of the hourly pay rate for the rest of the shift ) - The days when Tosco was a great company to work where they respected the staff and you had to know some one to get your foot in the door - unlike today .  :-X :-X

VladPutin

Quote from: uklions on 21-06-20, 10:29PM
Its only 6 hours! then got the whole day to sleep.......try being a driver 10 hour,11 hour,12 hour,and 13 hour shifts/ some people dont know how lucky they are

Try filling at a pace and with stock levels you normally experience only in the weeks leading up to Xmas. Try having to accept that social distancing simply won't happen because every aisle you work is choked with both customers and dot comedy pickers, and both of them don't mind reaching over you to grab items from the shelves. Try running yourself ragged and still having manager moan at you because lines are going off sale because of the pickers.

Drivers might work longer shifts, but a significant percentage of them is spent sitting on your backside in a van. You don't have to worry about pickers or customers barging into you. I work harder in one shift than you do in a week.

gomezz

Both jobs have become a lot harder and more intense with every day now like it is as busy as Christmas (apart from the frozen turkeys).   That said, I would rather stick with being a driver as I have sole control over cleaning my work environment (van cab) and distancing including asking overkeen customers to back off while I put the shopping on their doorstep.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

gomezz

Quote from: VladPutin on 22-06-20, 06:10AMDrivers might work longer shifts, but a significant percentage of them is spent sitting on your backside in a van
Short sharp bursts of heavy lifting followed by a recovery period while I drive to the next customer certainly suits my dodgy knees rather than being permanently on my feet which I have experienced while doing dot com backroom turnaround.   I have worked it out that we are shifting by hand up to 3.5 tonnes of shopping in one shift.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

cddriver

Quote from: VladPutin on 22-06-20, 06:10AM
Quote from: uklions on 21-06-20, 10:29PM
Drivers might work longer shifts, but a significant percentage of them is spent sitting on your backside in a van. You don't have to worry about pickers or customers barging into you. I work harder in one shift than you do in a week.
You haven’t got a clue. Once you’ve been a Dotcom driver in a large busy city and your van is full every single run with max drops and on the weight limit then you wouldn’t be so ignorant.

VladPutin

I spoke to a driver who'd previously been on dairy. He admitted he was grateful he managed to switch to driving before the pandemic. Driving was much easier than having to constantly refill shelves while customers and locusts clog up the aisles. The majority of your shift is sitting down. The only real work you do is delivering. On the shop floor, the only time you sit down is your breaks and the five minutes you can spare to rush to the toilet.

[gmod] Insulting remark about colleagues has been removed.[/gmod]

alf

During this pandemic we have taken on tons of temps, plenty of those temps are essentially kids, particularly as A levels weren't a thing this year. So, If 16 year old, 5'1 sophie can stack diary all day, work produce, fill out BWS without sounding like a martyr, I think you can.

dotnochance

Jesus vlad you really are a toxic person, so glad I actually don’t have to work with you

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: alf on 22-06-20, 05:17PM

During this pandemic we have taken on tons of temps, plenty of those temps are essentially kids, particularly as A levels weren't a thing this year. So, If 16 year old, 5'1 sophie can stack diary all day, work produce, fill out BWS without sounding like a martyr, I think you can.

That's surprising, considering all the spout that young people are lazy and the elder generation can move their butt faster than the rest of them....... Though the ones we've had on nights switched to days cause of the hard work.... Like most people do...

Think it's fine to complain about starting earlier than your actual shift.... Christmas is usually thst time and I know the dotcom in ours hate that, but are thankful it's not much earlier...

As for the driver bit, one of ours went from nights to driver and said was best decision of his life, lot easier workload, lovely scenery, no managers to complain at you and your hours are worked around better... Had one bit where they said about not being able to deliver after a problem and on l had 2 staff for the next 3 hours to do ALL day deliveries that hadn't been done due to a problem with the store, store manager said "I'm sure you'll manage", they said yeah we will deliver what we would normally and then we are done, we ain't breaking backs over it, expect customer complaints,.... Store manager couldn't really do much otherthan hope they got through a smuch as they could.

alf

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 22-06-20, 09:48PM

That's surprising, considering all the spout that young people are lazy and the elder generation can move their butt faster than the rest of them....... Though the ones we've had on nights switched to days cause of the hard work.... Like most people do...

“Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...”

The old criticise the young, the young get old, and critiscise the young.

Circle of life an all that.

beaver2jane

Has anyone heard of Wage Clerks going to Wage Administrators when Work and Pay comes in ?

NightAndDay

Changing a job title from clerk to administrator would indicate a role with more responsibility, this being Tesco though they'll probably increase responsibilities without increasing pay.

lucgeo

The wages dept and admin, are now under the same umbrella, and a lot of the daily tasks are now combined.

There was talk of the wages dept employees being made redundant, however it would seem that they have decided to combine the two.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

VladPutin

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 22-06-20, 09:48PM

Think it's fine to complain about starting earlier than your actual shift.... Christmas is usually thst time and I know the dotcom in ours hate that, but are thankful it's not much earlier...

As for the driver bit, one of ours went from nights to driver and said was best decision of his life, lot easier workload, lovely scenery, no managers to complain at you and your hours are worked around better... Had one bit where they said about not being able to deliver after a problem and on l had 2 staff for the next 3 hours to do ALL day deliveries that hadn't been done due to a problem with the store, store manager said "I'm sure you'll manage", they said yeah we will deliver what we would normally and then we are done, we ain't breaking backs over it, expect customer complaints,.... Store manager couldn't really do much otherthan hope they got through a smuch as they could.

Yeah, drivers do even less work than night shift. Which is saying something.  :D

VladPutin

[gmod=gomezz]Chauvinist and insulting post deleted[/gmod]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk