News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-04-24, 09:25PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,430
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 610
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 538
Total: 542

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PitseaSuspect

im surprised we didnt have a nasty accident over the xmas period.. our back gates which are two huge white buggers weighing a few tonnes each were just resting on their fixtures.. well unsafe .. glad im not out there no more be safe all

woody505

not an accident but if something bad did happen there would be a big claims case. Came into work today the cuboard we keep are first aid kit in is now locked. Talked to duty manager about it they said where looking into getting the first aid kit on a wall mount. In the mean time i dont want to be fumbling about with a set of keys of which i dont know which keys fits the lock. Couldn't belive the stupidity of this

Chairswan

Big oops at work - £5,000 of alcohol smashes - Tesco

Can anyone suggest to me what actually happened here?  ???

Anne

The picture quality is not great but given that somebody was covertly filming this, and it is obviously a hand held camera, I would surmise that this was deliberate. What else could somebody have been filming for?

picktocube

If you watch carefully the hand held camera is only filming the monitor,presumably from a fixed camera,so maybe not deliberate

roguesith

Yeah looks to me like someone filming footage that was recorded from the security camera covering this store's backdoor/warehouse. It appears they're unloading a delivery, maybe on a tail lift as the cage seemed to tip from a height. Lucky backdoor man was sensible and didn't try to save it, I've seen plenty of people, myself included, whose first instinct is to try and catch stuff and it takes a moment for common sense and self-preservation to kick in lol

The Mrs

If you read the details on the actual youtube link it tells you -

QuoteAccident at my old store in 2009... £5,000 worth of alcohol smashes off the back of a lorry. The guy forgot to level off the lorry so it all cascaded down and went everywhere!

Chairswan

Does anyone know about DD trailers being used for store deliveries?
Do store staff need to be trained in unloading them too?

dragonbear

all backdoor staff should be trained to unload dd deliveries due to the fact they have to operate the lift on the bay which is used to unload the trailers

SeannyFontaine

Quote from: Anne on 07-06-11, 06:30PM
The picture quality is not great but given that somebody was covertly filming this, and it is obviously a hand held camera, I would surmise that this was deliberate. What else could somebody have been filming for?

That is a mad conspiracy theory...wtf.
The start of the film clearly shows someone filming an in-store monitor.

That is an incredible accident though, I'm surprised there weren't suddenly scores of staff attending to help clean up.

They were probably all on check outs.

;-)

dragonprince

threw the store manger off too a few times

bellyfull

Yes the conspiracy theory, it is my judgement that this was a recording of an incident which was again recorded using a mobile device. This was not done from a live monitor as this evidence shows a reduced "picture frame" account (normal functions are around 30 frames per second CCTV will be reduced to around 1 to 10 frames per second to elongate the recording time and less cartridges or disks needed to keep legal evidence) So as a live monitor would be "live" the pictures submitted here suggest a recording.

From the evidence of the incident given, this appears to be a cage pushed/shoved by the driver (or whoever was unseen and on the trailer) and not manhandled. The evidence clearly shows a concern from the backdoor person that something is amiss, it is apparent to me they are backing off which also suggests they see  something is not right. Old fashioned, I'm in a hurry so get out of the way stuff. Or worse... "Who Cares"

Guest6622

A heavy cage is unstrapped pulled out and probably pulled clear of the row it was in but continues on its way builds momentum and travels down the unlevel trailer, the problem arises because the tail-lift is at ground level and not deck level the safety feature to stop unsecured  roll cages going of the deck of the trailer are not in place (tail-lift flap), as it is at ground level with some of its flaps still up (not the side ones the rear ones) whilst  a cage is unloaded off it.

I have my doubts about it being genuine and not staged... the person in the video looks up at the camera just before the cage crashes to the floor and also for 2 experienced people to make such mistakes/bad practice is a bit of a concern.

It just goes to show Accidents don't just happen they have causes.

I'm glad this accident wasn't on a DD, because if it wasn't staged the two people concerned obviously don't have a clue about safe working practice.

bellyfull

Cornflake, you may want to look again. I don't see a strap issue as this is a 4 sided cage which looks closed. On impact with the ground the produce is clearly seen coming out through the top. Also a contribution factor in my view, there appears to be a flap raised at the right side (as you look) which this cage has gone over. The first cage clearly has come from the left side of the trailer and away from the raised flap...

Guest6622

Oh dear.
I was referring to trailer strap which needs to be unsecured to release cages from each row.
A safe working practise would be to do this whilst the tail-lift is at deck height and not at floor level particularly on an unlevel trailer as it reducing the risk of the insecure cages on the deck from leaving the deck.
From the information that accompanied the video and looking at the footage it seems obvious to me the cage fell from deck not from the tail-lift, if the tail-lift is at deck height whilst insecure cages are being manoeuvred on the deck it greatly reduces the risk and possibility of this happening the staff comply with HSAWA and a safe system is established.
Also dropping all flaps on the tail-lift in the direction you are unloading said taillift minimises any trip hazard which also good safe working practice.

Guest6622

Although it is possible for the deck height to be the same height as the backdoor height, which would require no vertical movement of the tail-lift, such similarities in level would have warrented dock leveler installation surely, the need and use of a tail-lift suggest this is not the case.
Also it seems to be that the cage hit the tail-lift in the already horizontal position suggesting it has fallen from a greater height.

bellyfull

Some brilliant theorising here Cornflake, anyone who knows about delivering to a store with an uneven and or slope will know that chocks are a requirement. It may also state on the risk assessment to use the air suspension on the trailer, unit or both to level off as much as possible. If this was not followed then both the back doorman and driver will be at fault as a SSOW would be in place for any delivery eventualities.

SSOW in your scenario would be... place choke against two cages and release holding strap and secure strap. Move unchecked cage and take to tail-lift. Return for second cage, move chock to release second cage but securing third cage from movement, take second cage to tail-lift, lower tail-lift to dock level, backdoor person releases tail-lift flap and lowers then takes each cage (one at a time) from tail-lift. Backdoor person then raises tail-lift flaps (ensuring they are secure) Driver returns tail-lift to trailer floor height and continues with unloading routine.

picktocube

As The Mrs already pointed out a few posts back on the YOU TUBE link it states that the guy forgot to level off the lorry. Also if it wasn't an accident they wouldn't have started to clear up the mess straight away. You can clearly see that this is security footage being watched back on a monitor and then the monitor is being recorded.

Guest6622

As you probably are aware H&S and SSOW are about minimising the risk, so should all of your observations and mine have taken place? It's easy in hindsight to say yes but one thing is for sure if that cage had fell on the backdoor man the whole network would now be faced with with the observations we have made, and further more Cost or disruption to ensure compliance would not relevant. People should not forget the terms "Safe System" and "Duty to reasonably to Ensure". Hindsight and reactive thought is wonderful but proactive is simply what SSOW and H&S are in place for.

Just my observations from experience. That cage came off that trailer at some speed. It just looks so wrong. Too many safe guards would have to be not known or ignored for this to happen. In my opinion.

The Mrs

:p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

I'd give up, picktocube - we're being ignored.  8-)

Guest6622

Who is being ignored? I have acknowledge your reference to the information that accompanies the video and the fact it played a part.
In my opinion based on experience To make such mistakes is a concern from a professional Driver. Lets hope when the driver does a split load or collects dekit he remembers to strap and shuts the door.

I forgot 8-)

It's not just about the trailer not being level, it's about corners being cut in other areas too.

oneboxwonder

When unloading they used to have a steel sheet off the bottom of a cage until it caused an accident...in my store they switched to using a clip from the trailer in the tail lift/docking part to produce a small lip instead of lowing the trailer...!  Anyhows we grievanced it after a HS2 did nothing and now they do...but now one dock is buggered up as the clip made the hydraulics warped with its action in the jaws.   JUST so you knows guys we had this issue months and took a lot to actually make the blind people see, apparently it was an accident that was never going to happen, loosing fingers or tripping and falling face first onto the floor, so we asked em to sign wavers for any claims...and you know what...its not done anymore...!
' one ring to bind them '

kennyfocus

just found this thread after a fellow backdoor assistant told me about it.

wow, i thought i was the only one having all these problems? constantly getting smacked on the head by falling objects, dodgy cages, dollies tipping over etc.

and phone calls from the depots asking what the hold up is,- the turnaround time can kiss my arse. we don't have tip and fill, we have tip but everyone buggers off once their stocks off.

i've learned more from this thread than i have off my training!

baldy-trevor-howe

anyone having problems unloading on decker lift,here at stockton the floor has no grip,and heavy cages or dollies meet with resistance .store manager is clueless and couldnt care less.

tumshie

do staff refuse to work in these conditions?
any staff member who is injured because of a problem that they are aware of, will be judged as negligent and contributing to their injury.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk