News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:42PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 303
Total: 304

Outbreaks

Started by Nomad, 08-09-20, 11:22AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesco-staff-absent-jobs-hiring-temporary-workers-115833909.html

QuoteAround 30,000 Tesco (TSCO.L) staff are currently off work, with absences on the rise as staff fall ill, self-isolate or shield at home.

Britain’s biggest supermarket’s chief executive Ken Murphy said on Thursday it had “clearly seen a spike” in absences in recent weeks.

Approximately one in 10 staff is now off, according to Murphy, with absence rates “materially higher” than during its second and third quarters.

30,000 good job it's only a very small number  8-)
(don't bother telling me the percentages, I can do maths  :) )
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

grim up north

I wonder how many are genuine?

dotnochance

I would say most if not all, since Tesco brought in a new rule, if u say your off with Covid or shielding then you have to give them the number or code u get from nhs tracing to be paid

Halftone84

I'm currently off isolating now because the app told me to, it's been a long, extremely boring week ! All because a few of our staff in the last month thought it was perfectly fine to regularly all meet up in a team leaders house to get drunk, have curry nights etc.

3 of that group are off, 2 positive, 1 isolating and me, who worked with 2 of them.  Will anything be done about them ? Nope, nothing can be proved, even though the whole store knows they were meeting up.  It's had a massive impact on a small express this week.

My app pinged up Monday on shift that I needed to self isolate, I left immediately, went home and filled in the NHS form to forward to my sm

grim up north

I've heard you can make the app 'ping' when you want. There are many staff(and managers) who have had 5 or more periods of 'isolating' where I work. One of the younger ones admits only once has it been a genuine ping

dotnochance

Wait what, their talking BS, there is no way they can get it to ping with an reference number on the isolation note to get paid, they prob got a real ping and are just being, dicks

grim up north

You can. You'll just have to believe it can be done. I'll pm you how if you like. And also some(managers) get paid regardless, and others might not care if they are paid or not. Just 4-10 days not at work

Redshoes

Quote from: Halftone84 on 16-01-21, 03:14PM
I'm currently off isolating now because the app told me to, it's been a long, extremely boring week ! All because a few of our staff in the last month thought it was perfectly fine to regularly all meet up in a team leaders house to get drunk, have curry nights etc.

3 of that group are off, 2 positive, 1 isolating and me, who worked with 2 of them.  Will anything be done about them ? Nope, nothing can be proved, even though the whole store knows they were meeting up.  It's had a massive impact on a small express this week.

My app pinged up Monday on shift that I needed to self isolate, I left immediately, went home and filled in the NHS form to forward to my sm

I rules have been broken and it can be proved an investigation can be held. It's all a matter of being about to prove and if goes to disciplinary and found rules have been broken the sick pay can be reclaimed. It is not being done lightly and they have to have a really good case but it has been done. I'm told of two cases in my group but they can't double discipline so claiming back the sick pay means that it is the end of the matter. I have not heard of other outcomes but as I said I have only heard of two cases in my group. We don't have to prove to the level of a court, we only have to prove probability.
The police are taking more seriously now though. I read online that a student was issued with a 10,000.00 for hosting a party for 100 people. Personal fines have gone up and are being issued more.

pete6872

Sad news yesterday Tesco stretford  store had to close for some time as one person as died and large out break of COVID 19

Shoppers report being 'turned away' from Tesco Extra store at centre of Covid-19 outbreak

helpme

Quote from: Redshoes on 17-01-21, 09:47AM
Quote from: Halftone84 on 16-01-21, 03:14PM

I rules have been broken and it can be proved an investigation can be held. It's all a matter of being about to prove and if goes to disciplinary and found rules have been broken the sick pay can be reclaimed. It is not being done lightly and they have to have a really good case but it has been done. I'm told of two cases in my group but they can't double discipline so claiming back the sick pay means that it is the end of the matter. I have not heard of other outcomes but as I said I have only heard of two cases in my group. We don't have to prove to the level of a court, we only have to prove probability.
The police are taking more seriously now though. I read online that a student was issued with a 10,000.00 for hosting a party for 100 people. Personal fines have gone up and are being issued more.
As they weren't at work or clocked in and at a private residence there is nothing management can do apart from passing on to the police if they believe a CRIMINAL act has been committed.

spike_pkh

Quote from: dotnochance on 16-01-21, 03:10PM
I would say most if not all, since Tesco brought in a new rule, if u say your off with Covid or shielding then you have to give them the number or code u get from nhs tracing to be paid

The new rule does nothing to stop fake sickness isolation. All you need to do is go online and request isolation note

dotnochance

Surely you need a contact tracing number to get the note?

grim up north

What is this number? I've been t&t. All I had to do was show the screenshot of my isolation days. I only had to get a test if i showed symptoms(i didn't so no test).

Halftone84

Quote from: dotnochance on 18-01-21, 02:55PM
Surely you need a contact tracing number to get the note?

Not that I remember, just your details.  It does then tell you there's a site than someone can use to verify the note, so maybe it's checked against test and trace records ?

Himynameus

But if you phone pings they don’t even know who you are. There no ways to check. Who you are. My store has had another out break. But haven’t sent anyone extra home when the store know that staff had been near the person that tested positive

Nomad

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13761495/tesco-workers-petrified-after-amazing-manager-dies/

QuoteTESCO workers have been left feeling petrified after their 'amazing' manager died during a Covid outbreak.

Some 50 staff working at the store in Stretford, Greater Manchester, are now ill or isolating, while the rest must test negative before they return to work.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

B.O.B

Quote from: Himynameus on 31-12-20, 10:34PM
2.22 Many of my team have the Track and Trace App on their mobile phones â€" do they need to keep it switched on when they are working?

If a colleague has their phone with them on the shop-floor, they can leave the App on.

If a colleague leaves their phone in their locker, they should turn the App off until they start carrying their phone on their person.

If a colleague is working behind a screen, for example, on a checkout, the Customer Service Desk, Pharmacy Counter, PFS, they should switch the App off.

I’ve heard this too.  As far as I’m concerned, as long as this pandemic continues, whilst I’m at work - whether I’m behind a screen or not - my phone stays with me, and that app stays on... and if anyone tries to insist otherwise, I go to the union about the matter.  I’m not going to risk compromising my health or the health of those I may come into contact with just because Tesco think I should do otherwise. 

Spidercatcher

Terribly sad. Words fail me, seriously they do. Tesco don't give 2 flying shites as long as the profits keep rolling in.

Any Tesco worker NOT feeling terrified at the minute, is either fully vaccinated, or a complete idiot.  We're all sitting ducks, THEY know it, WE know it, but we still need to keep a roof over our heads. And they know it.  And how they exploit it.

Nomad

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/coronavirus-cases-confirmed-midsomer-nortons-4902463

QuoteA 'small number' of staff members at Midsomer Norton's Tesco have tested positive for coronavirus.

Close contacts of colleagues with Covid are now isolating after the infections were confirmed at the superstore, on Old Mills, Paulton.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Halftone84

Quote from: B.O.B on 18-01-21, 10:58PM
Quote from: Himynameus on 31-12-20, 10:34PM
2.22 Many of my team have the Track and Trace App on their mobile phones â€" do they need to keep it switched on when they are working?

If a colleague has their phone with them on the shop-floor, they can leave the App on.

If a colleague leaves their phone in their locker, they should turn the App off until they start carrying their phone on their person.

If a colleague is working behind a screen, for example, on a checkout, the Customer Service Desk, Pharmacy Counter, PFS, they should switch the App off.

I’ve heard this too.  As far as I’m concerned, as long as this pandemic continues, whilst I’m at work - whether I’m behind a screen or not - my phone stays with me, and that app stays on... and if anyone tries to insist otherwise, I go to the union about the matter.  I’m not going to risk compromising my health or the health of those I may come into contact with just because Tesco think I should do otherwise.

The whole reason I WONT be disabling the app behind the till screens, is because the only person I'd been in contact with for so long that tested positive is another member of staff ... Who can be stood behind the tills with me ! I've said all along it's pointless having screens between tills when paypoint is behind 1 till, cigarettes are behind another till, and lottery is in the middle of them all ...

Himynameus

Can you believe Tesco you should read some of there questions and answer on covid.
Of course people might need to be off more than once they are almost trying to push people into going to work

3.3f I have some colleagues who are off with COVID symptoms on multiple occasions what can I do?
We should encourage the colleague to be tested as soon as possible each time they develop any
symptoms, as this may enable them to return to work sooner.
  Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Q&A, Version 14.4, Page 20 of 50 â€"12th January 2021

When the colleague returns to work, we should have a have a conversation to remind them of the safe
distancing measures they should be following, both during their work hours and the time outside of
work and check they have completed the ‘Keeping colleagues safe’ e-learning. This may be an informal
conversation using the let’s talk form, or a documented and noted formal conversation.
Where it becomes clear that a colleague is not following the government guidelines, or the safe
distancing measures either inside or outside of work, it would be appropriate to investigate the matter
in line with our misconduct policy. It is not acceptable for colleagues to break the government
guidelines outside of their working hours, as by doing this they could be putting their fellow colleagues
at risk when they are in the workplace.

helpme

Quote from: Himynameus on 20-01-21, 09:20AM
Where it becomes clear that a colleague is not following the government guidelines, or the safe
distancing measures either inside or outside of work, it would be appropriate to investigate the matter
in line with our misconduct policy. It is not acceptable for colleagues to break the government
guidelines outside of their working hours, as by doing this they could be putting their fellow colleagues
at risk when they are in the workplace.
So when did Tesco assume the authority to investigate and discipline you for when you are outside the work place? It would be interesting to see  how they would be able to get evidence against you and from whom. It's a pity they aren't so worried about their delivery drivers!

oldfashionedplayer

Think it still states in the terms and conditions that your actions outside of work can end up having consequences, for example if your arrested and known for working at Tesco, your a tesco worker not a customer... And the behaviour isn't acceptable if its for things like fights etc... Same for the social media policy, you agree that you accept that once you start working for the company y you have to be careful what you say online and if you do say something it has to categorically state that it's your words and not that of tesco's or anything to do with them influencing you in those words etc... Hence the need to remain anonymous to talk about the company at times 😂

You can't say things like "omg I effing hate this company, stupid customers" - that's misconduct

You can however say "had a bit of a rough day today, got me a bit upset but tomorrow is another day" or some c**p 😂

helpme

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 20-01-21, 12:40PM
Think it still states in the terms and conditions that your actions outside of work can end up having consequences
Employees' activities outside work - including those resulting in criminal offences - are not grounds for dismissal unless they affect employees' ability to do their job, which could be because they affect relations with their colleagues, suppliers or customers or bring the business into disrepute.
And who would they get evidence from? Your family and friends or go on hearsay which would be interesting to see them justify at an employment court.

Nomad

Libel. slander, disrepute etc out of work is a very complicated matter involving who, when,where and much more.

However,

[admin]Employees' activities outside work, if you wish to continue debating this point please start a new thread, possibly in 'All Departments'.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk