Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 10:12PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,428
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 564
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 540
Total: 541

difference between early and late shifts

Started by newguy20, 23-03-24, 10:10PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newguy20

I'm contracted to 3 days a week, 1 shift 10am-6pm and 2 of 2pm-10pm.

On all the departments I've worked on there's a big difference between staffing levels in the morning, until about 3-4pm, and the evening. yet the level of customer demand in my store is similar.

Since the structure change, managers often all go home at 5-6pm, leaving just one shift leader until 10pm (large extra). This means that some colleagues who start work at 6, 7, 8pm - never see their manager!

Until a couple of years ago when our SM changed this was never an issue... at that time every manager did at least one late night and there was a reasonable spread of staff across the day, every department would have at least one person.
Now the focus seems to be on making life easier when they're on shift, and sod what happens once they go!

It seems to be the same in all front end departments that I work in.

causes a lot of friction as colleagues on early shift, are disgruntled because they come in to lots of leftovers, or in the case of PFS there are labels or transfers not done, however, this is because they forget that we are so thinly stretched in the evening.

is this a company wide thing, has it always been like this??

londoner83

The issue is with a smaller management headcount and larger teams to manage whatever shifts your manager works there will always be someone they don't get to see each week.

1982dave

It's same across the board I work in a extra and the difference in staff numbers between morning/days to twilights is bonkers across the board after 6pm in my store the other day there was only one on main bank checkouts and on merchandising in the evening there was only aswell one staff member to do 5k labels in a few hours but in the day staff were falling over eachother due to the amount that were in

newguy20

Quote from: londoner83 on 24-03-24, 07:26AMThe issue is with a smaller management headcount and larger teams to manage whatever shifts your manager works there will always be someone they don't get to see each week.
True, but there are some colleagues who never see their manager at all - because the manager works 8-5, and they work 6-midnight,

Poka

Since this months payday is going to be on Thursday 28th due to Friday being a national bank holiday will payslips be online in the early hours of tomorrow morning (Wednesday) instead of the usual Thursday?

jgerry

Quote from: Poka on 26-03-24, 04:34PMSince this months payday is going to be on Thursday 28th due to Friday being a national bank holiday will payslips be online in the early hours of tomorrow morning (Wednesday) instead of the usual Thursday?
I've asked that question at work with no answer

1982dave

Quote from: jgerry on 26-03-24, 07:33PM
Quote from: Poka on 26-03-24, 04:34PMSince this months payday is going to be on Thursday 28th due to Friday being a national bank holiday will payslips be online in the early hours of tomorrow morning (Wednesday) instead of the usual Thursday?
I've asked that question at work with no answer
that makes 3 of us 2 dept managers and 3 senior managers in my store not one could answer

Babs

londoner83

Wage slips are online today for Thursdays pay

oldfashionedplayer

Aye sometimes they aren't but this time they are

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk