News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:59PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 288
Total: 290

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshineman

The way Tesco are treating the COVID situation is shocking and where is the union. Why do we pay our subs when all the union do all the time is hide and agree with Tesco. I think every single tesco worker should leave the union and send them a clear message

Morris999

@Sunshineman, so on this thread it’s for a friend on the other thread it’s a relative, so which one is it?

The report will be on their OH account, the account that every colleague classed as CV/CEV would have been sent a weblink too by there store in a letter back in June, asking each colleague to go onto so they could be referred to OH.
Only a very small amount colleagues were actually referred by stores instead of them doing it themselves due to the colleague having no access to the internet.
For those colleagues the store will have access/copy of that report.
Now you are saying your friend(from this thread) hasn’t received an email, so they clearly have access to the internet and would have been able to access their OH account to get the report.

No-one is disputing your friend/relative is at serious risk from Covid however you do seem to be asking the same thing just worded differently.
And it’s mostly concerning them being signed off work with a fit note and only getting SSP.
Which unfortunately is Tesco’s policy and no amount of asking on different threads in different ways is going to change that.
The other thing you keep mentioning is about furlough, and again Tesco isn’t furloughing any colleagues.

I’m sure you were asking similar things back in June-August for your Wife.
I get it’s a worrying/stressful time for a lot of people, however in my experience the way Tesco has treated its CEV colleagues has been fantastic, I know a lot of CV colleagues were also very impressed initially until they were classed differently to CEV colleagues, however you must understand that Tesco is just following Government guidance.

Welshie

@sunshineman not to add to your friend/relatives misery but if they have been off sick since August , in the next few weeks they will run out of ssp as everyone only gets 28weeks  . They will get a form from head office approximately 2weeks before it runs out .
They may be entitled to ESA but if the only reason they're off is to avoid covid then I'm not really sure .
All CEV staff returned in our store at some point after shielding,all with varying degrees of illness , Tesco has been very good at placing them in areas where they are as safe as possible and have been very good at saying and supporting that if they didnt feel safe due to too many people or any reason to remove themselves to a safe place . It doesn't sound like your friend /relative or their GP gave them an opportunity to support them back to work and maybe after this lockdown they could try going back to see if it works out . Yes its stressful but it is for all staff but so is not being able to pay bills.

Redshoes

Quote from: sunshineman on 11-01-21, 02:02PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 11-01-21, 03:04AM
Has your friend not gone through the oh referral, a dr recommendation can form part of this.

The OH rang and said they were putting them in B and would send them a report to their email address so they could see it. That report was never received. Their doctor said if they caught COVID then the chances of them not surving was very high

Copy of report goes to your email address and another to manager that refers. As the store if they have a copy of the report. If oh has put you in a band that has not set you at the extremely critical stage you are not paid to be off. You can request a move to an area with protection though. Checkouts are behind screens for example. You could also request move to quieter time of day, it will depend on individual store if they can do that for you they can't make someone mov to accommodate but if they have a gap you might be able to fit into different hours.

Trollie Bird

Quote from: Twinkletoes on 09-01-21, 06:11PM
Seen that about greenock.   Not surprising to be honest.   I work just along road at silverburn and its a breakout waiting to happen.   The dot. Com area is packed like sardines but all they are interested in is money, no social distancing.  Can be a dozen of them in aisle as we try to work, leaning over you etc.   The amount of staff hiding behind sunflower lanyards so they don't have to wear mask is a joke, put them on checkouts as they have no place on shopfloor.   Girl on self scan at nights is mask less, a total joke of a store

Twinkletoes you seem to have an issue with the dot com workers. They are there to do a job sorry if that means removing stock that you have just placed on the shelf but that is the nature of their job. I don't think ANY worker wants to catch Covid so if you feel someone isn't adhering to the social distancing policy keep yourself right and walk away from the situation. You could always speak to the individual and ask them to step back and if you still have problems then speak to a manager . You'll find most dot com workers will ask for you to move (excuse me) before reaching in.....don't think your being fair tarnishing all dot com workers with the same brush .

dotnochance

Maybe nightshift shouldn’t pack the aisle with cages and then everyone could social distance

grim up north

Been a change in policy today and all staff in distribution have to wear a mask as soon as they enter site, and only remove it when eating or leaving site.

chris9997

Quote from: Welshie on 11-01-21, 07:26PM
@sunshineman not to add to your friend/relatives misery but if they have been off sick since August , in the next few weeks they will run out of ssp as everyone only gets 28weeks  . They will get a form from head office approximately 2weeks before it runs out .
They may be entitled to ESA but if the only reason they're off is to avoid covid then I'm not really sure .
All CEV staff lreturned in our store at some point after shielding,all with varying degrees of illness , Tesco has been very good at placing them in areas where they are as safe as possible and have been very good at saying and supporting that if they didnt feel safe due to too many people or any reason to remove themselves to a safe place . It doesn't sound like your friend /relative or their GP gave them an opportunity to support them back to work and maybe after this lockdown they could try going back to see if it works out . Yes its stressful but it is for all staff but so is not being able to pay bills.
latest policy a couple of weeks ago states all cev and cv staff to isolate with sick pay being used for pay if this is finished then the pay will be made up , with the exception of  2 days holiday to be used for every 4 weeks.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: grim up north on 20-01-21, 07:48PM
Been a change in policy today and all staff in distribution have to wear a mask as soon as they enter site, and only remove it when eating or leaving site.

that's been in officially since "retail stores are required while open" - just was ignored, was on the retail daily news way back last year.... They've only now started to enforce the masks stuff.

Mark calloway

Quote from: dotnochance on 14-01-21, 01:00AM
Maybe nightshift shouldn’t pack the aisle with cages and then everyone could social distance
How are they meant to fill then???

dotnochance

You can only work one cage at at time unless you got more than 2 arms....

Welshie

@dotnochance , one delivery cage , one cage to put backstock on , one cardboard cage and one plastic cage , that's what it takes to properly pack an aisle !

Welshie

Quote from: chris9997 on 21-01-21, 01:15AM
Quote from: Welshie on 11-01-21, 07:26PM
All CEV staff lreturned in our store at some point after shielding,all with varying degrees of illness , Tesco has been very good at placing them in areas where they are as safe as possible and have been very good at saying and supporting that if they didnt feel safe due to too many people or any reason to remove themselves to a safe place . It doesn't sound like your friend /relative or their GP gave them an opportunity to support them back to work and maybe after this lockdown they could try going back to see if it works out . Yes its stressful but it is for all staff but so is not being able to pay bills.
latest policy a couple of weeks ago states all cev and cv staff to isolate with sick pay being used for pay if this is finished then the pay will be made up , with the exception of  2 days holiday to be used for every 4 weeks.

No , policy is all CEV and HIGH RISK cv to shield with full pay . Not cv staff .

Mark calloway

Quote from: Welshie on 21-01-21, 06:35PM
@dotnochance , one delivery cage , one cage to put backstock on , one cardboard cage and one plastic cage , that's what it takes to properly pack an aisle !
well said.

dotnochance

Then why does ever single nightshift in the land in every single supermarket have fresh aisles packed with more than 1 delivery one backstock and one rubbish cage, your having a laugh if u think that’s what happens, f*** me there’s a poll on here talking about loads of fresh cages being out on shop floor for hours. Simple FACT is that night shift packs the aisles with cages. Simple fact is that my store you go down a fresh aisle and that aisle will have 10+ stock cages down it oh yeah and the rubbish cages for 1 nightshift worker on it. As I said u can only work one cage at a time, here’s and idea take your ONE cage down the aisle and have your backstock-rubbish cages on main aisle opposite. That way EVERYONE can move about safely
You don’t need to pack the aisle with every single cage your going to work over the next few hours like some little replenishment goblin.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Welshie

But that's what nightshift are replenishment goblins , didnt you know . It's very easy to criticize when you obviously haven't done the job . Take from me as I have previously done both nightshift replenishment and dotcom , and to quote you "f### me" dotcom is a piece of p#ss compared to night shift .

Mark calloway

Quote from: dotnochance on 21-01-21, 07:48PM
Then why does ever single nightshift in the land in every single supermarket have fresh aisles packed with more than 1 delivery one backstock and one rubbish cage, your having a laugh if u think that’s what happens, f*** me there’s a poll on here talking about loads of fresh cages being out on shop floor for hours. Simple FACT is that night shift packs the aisles with cages. Simple fact is that my store you go down a fresh aisle and that aisle will have 10+ stock cages down it oh yeah and the rubbish cages for 1 nightshift worker on it. As I said u can only work one cage at a time, here’s and idea take your ONE cage down the aisle and have your backstock-rubbish cages on main aisle opposite. That way EVERYONE can move about safely
You don’t need to pack the aisle with every single cage your going to work over the next few hours like some little replenishment goblin.
calm down dear.

dotnochance

Right the most deadly pandemic in the U.K. in a 100 years and your only concern is making sure you get all your cages into the aisle, instead of realising we can’t work the same way as before, and that for everyone to be able to get down the aisle safely you can only have one cage down an aisle. Don’t want to hear u two bitch about dotcom or anyone not social distancing from you, pathetic

Mark calloway

Welshie

A much simpler solution would be if dot com picked ambient 7am-8am as there are more aisles and then when nightshift finish they could pick fresh in cage free aisles . In our store this is how it is done in the run up to xmas . Everyone has a job to do and we're all trying to do it safely .  Fresh replenishment can only work in fresh , if they don't have all the required cages in the aisles and have to keep going to the top of aisles with plastic/cardboard etc they will not get delivery finished which impacts dotcom pick rates and availability . 

dotnochance

Maybe in your store that’s a achievable idea, but not in my store, u pick the trolleys that go out on vans first, and since my store has just added an extra 12 vans and a massive dotcom area extension, we need to pick a lot of vans for before 8am. My guess is Tesco will be looking at nightshift moving to come in earlier now, my store has started that with nightshift finishing at either 6/7 with talk to for them to finishing even earlier. My store nightshift used to all finish at 8am

Welshie

With fresh staff that would depend on what times their delivery comes in as they couldn't finish earlier if delivery times didnt allow for it or couldn't be changed .
As for picking ambient first , most Van's will have a lot more ambient than fresh , still the same shopping being picked in the same time frame  for van's leaving at 8am just in a different order .  It just takes better organisation of the trolleys in dotcom area . It's not an ideal situation but it would lead to a much safer working environment for all .

Modena

I do have a question I am a driver we are being told we must go into flats and deliver to the door, some drivers wont do that, do they have to ? Also despite boris saying you can't see your families we are being asked if vulnerable to go in someone's house, again do we have to

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk