Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

05-05-24, 06:34PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: imprint
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,475
  • Total Topics: 644
  • Online today: 546
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 550
Total: 552

Am I supposed to be off for 12 weeks? conflicting info :(

Started by Freebird123, 29-03-20, 03:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miriam

I was put on shielding after 4 weeks sick shielding letter dated 27th April
A manager called me to day and said I'm not one of the most vulnerable and have to return to work by the 29th june due to guidelines changing. My system has Been compromised due to a virus / infection and has left me with health issues.
I was told that I couldn't have my full shielding letters time off or/and with pay. I said I will go sick as I've been refered for test to see what's going on. The manager said I've no sick entitlement left as I've used up my sick. If i stay off I will need to use my holiday , none pay , career break or see the occupational therapists. Please can anyone give me information on this
With out my immune system being compromised I am asthmatic on the norm meds. Ones listed on gov site
Is my shielding letter not worth paper it's written on ???   
I've been with Tesco 20yrs

Welshie

I thought all colleagues with a shielding letter were extremely vulnerable , I'm confused. 
Can you contact GP and ask for a letter stating you are immuno-suppressed , are you on medication,  there in a list of medications on the government that make you more vulnerable. 
I do think asthma sufferers is one of the groups of people due back .
I believe the OH assessment is a questionnaire,  if this is on paper and not online you could send a copy of shielding letter and possibly a list of medications you are on as supporting evidence .
Remember you will have an assessment (hopefully they'll get these done on time) and it will be up to OH if you are fit to return to work , not management.

T.C.1

So from the 22nd of June you do your OH online then it's a traffic light system green,Amber,red then I would imagine it will tell you what course to take i.e. green you can go back to work.

notsofunny

Quote from: miriam on 06-06-20, 06:32PM
I was put on shielding after 4 weeks sick shielding letter dated 27th April
A manager called me to day and said I'm not one of the most vulnerable and have to return to work by the 29th june due to guidelines changing. My system has Been compromised due to a virus / infection and has left me with health issues.
I was told that I couldn't have my full shielding letters time off or/and with pay. I said I will go sick as I've been refered for test to see what's going on. The manager said I've no sick entitlement left as I've used up my sick. If i stay off I will need to use my holiday , none pay , career break or see the occupational therapists. Please can anyone give me information on this
With out my immune system being compromised I am asthmatic on the norm meds. Ones listed on gov site
Is my shielding letter not worth paper it's written on ???   
I've been with Tesco 20yrs

You say you have a Shielding letter ,IF so you do NOT  go back to work ,regardless of what you Manager said to you ,,  ask to speak to Your PM ,
After the 29th you are off for another 4 weeks , First they will use Company sick pay to pay you , If you do not have any company sick pay left they will put you On SSP which is about £94 a week , and then if your salary is normally more than that they will add to it them self's to bring it up to your normal salary ,,

So Again if you have a Shielding letter you do not go back to work ,, IN the 3 cases in which I have friends that Do have a Shielding letter the PM only asked them if they have the letter , once they said they had the Letter they got told to stay at home , The PM did not ask them what illness they had ,

As to using up your holidays they will take 2 days from you every 4 weeks and any holidays you have booked ,

miriam

I can only think They are bringing me in line with the first batch that were told to shield
Mine arrived a month after theirs
I have an inhaler that's on the gov sight I take it twice daily
I'm an individual not being seen like it
As I became ill and still are having illness issues
I've planned test to be carried out
I said If i go off my shielding letter than I will get a sick note
She said I won't get sick pay
I'm sure I've more sick pay then I've taken
I won't need sick pay if I'm shielding

notsofunny

Regardless of what they say , I say it again NO one is being asked what medication they are taking , all you get asked is If you have a NHS letter that says YOU are to  Shield ,

You do not need to tell them what medication you take , your Manager is not your Doctor ,

Company policy is to pay you like I have explained ,

If they want to challenge your Shielding letter ask the PM to put it in writing to your Doctor ,

Not all letters came at the same time so most letters have different dates ,

And I don't understand who she is to say that she will not pay your sick pay ,

From what you have said it just seems you have a manager that is making things up as she goes along ,

If your in the union talk to them , But your first stop should be the PM who will or should put a stop to what I see as Bullying ,

all the best

miriam

My manager said Ashmatics are not on the extreme vulnerable list
Lol

Gov. Uk say different

zbkids

If you have a letter then you do not go back full stop no matter when you received the letter

miriam

My shielding should end 20th July
Been told I won’t have any pay after 29th unless I take holiday
I was told I’m not entitled to any sick pay

I’m so confused
My manager said I’m not classed as vulnerable as a Ashmatic I take inhalers on list

I was on sick at first with suspected covid 19 I was tested came back negative but virus/infection has left me with issues that need time to recover
I’m alone they have said I will get no money
Is it legal to say all this

notsofunny

Clinically extremely vulnerable groups
Expert doctors in England have identified specific medical conditions that, based on what we know about the virus so far, place some people at greatest risk of severe illness from coronavirus. Disease severity, history or treatment levels will also affect who is in this group.
Clinically extremely vulnerable people may include:
Solid organ transplant recipients.
People with specific cancers:
people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy
people with lung cancer who are undergoing radical radiotherapy
people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
People with rare diseases that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID), homozygous sickle cell).
People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.
Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.

so as this last one points out you are covered if you have a Shield letter , so stop Panicking , just  do what I asked you to do ,

Other people have also been classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, based on clinical judgement and an assessment of their needs. GPs and hospital clinicians have been provided with guidance to support these decisions.

miriam

I’ve read that Tesco can refuse to pay furlough
It’s been told I won’t be paid after 29th June unless I take holidays

Can anyone show light on this plz

StephenL

Not being funny, Miriam, but it has been explained to you at least three times on this thread.  IF you have a letter telling you should shield you WILL be paid in full by Tesco after the 29 Jun.  This will be reviewed every four weeks.  Tesco haven’t ‘furloughed’ anyone.  Up until now, those shielding have been paid by Tesco.  The only thing that will change after 29th June is that you’ll be paid company sick pay.  If you have no company sick pay left you’ll be paid SSP (£94 per week) BUT Tesco will top up your wages to their normal amount, providing you have that SHIELDING LETTER.  That is why having the letter is important for someone in your position.  If you didn’t have that letter then, after 29th Jun,  you’d only get SSP (£94 per week) or you’d have to use your holiday or take a lifestyle break (unpaid). 

Morris999

Miriam, I think you should have a very close look at the wording on your letter.
Doctors/Consultants have sent 2 different letters out to people that are very similar, however only one is the actual Shielding letter.

1st type of letter will consist of you are CLINICALLY VULNERABLE  and will say words like practice extreme social distancing or shielding measures or self-isolate.

2nd type of letter will consist of you are CLINICALLY EXTREMELY VULNERABLE  and should shield.

It’s the second letters wording that you will need if you are classed as Shielding.
The clinically extremely vulnerable, if your letter doesn’t say those 3 words then you are back on the 29th June.
Unless you take it as unpaid, holiday or are assessed as being in the clinically extremely vulnerable group by OH.

Asthma falls into both groups so is not as straightforward as people are suggesting.

You can always contact you GP for clarification on which group you are in and if necessary ask for the correct letter.

If you are in the clinically extremely vulnerable group then you will be paid sick pay, topped up if you have run out.

Also you say you should shield till the 20th July, is that 12 weeks from when you started to self-isolate as the date match’s your shield/self-isolation start date of 27th April.
The reason I’m asking is I think you are getting confused with the 12 weeks period.

It was 12 weeks from March 20th, which would end 11th June, anyone who went off at a later date would not get the full 12 weeks and would return from the 11th June.
Which has now been extended until 29th June while OH is contacted for all affected colleagues.
So I think your Manager is actually correct with what he’s saying, unless you have the clinically extremely vulnerable letter.

Redshoes

Quote from: nick123 on 05-06-20, 02:41PM
the guidance i read says they can go back on 11th if they sign deceleration saying they're happy to work without referral to occupational health otherwise they will see occupational heath and start from 29th

The 11th is last day off, back from 12th or on first contracted day after the 12th but should be agreed with manager. By that I mean mutually agreed. If you have had a letter or text from NHS it's the date on that unless you choose to come back before that.
It should be two weeks holiday, or a percentage of two weeks, depending on date you first went off as vulnerable. You would only use more than two weeks if you happen to have booked more than two weeks during this 12 week period before this all kicked off.
If you are staying off and not coming back as critically vulnerable it's a percentage of hols used monthly for however long it is you are off. This will all depend on how many days you work and how many holidays you get according to length of service.
Those who have not been off need to take holidays as they stand. It's hard in work and we need time out but we can't get into a place where come October we have a huge amount of people who have not used any holidays and we have limited time to fit them in. It's not great being off on holiday just now, I can speak from experience as you can't do anything but I did feel better having a break. I don't find it stressful in work but for some reason it's exhausting just now, loads of people are finding that.

miriam

Thanks all for replies
My letter says stay at home for  12 weeks
I go and get click and collect shopping no contact
I asked section manager to get prescriptions as I'm not allowed in store
We met and kept distance
I live completely alone
111 asked how was doing shopping I told them they said that was gd
I wear a mask too
Quote from: T.C.1 on 06-06-20, 08:07PM
So from the 22nd of June you do your OH online then it's a traffic light system green,Amber,red then I would imagine it will tell you what course to take i.e. green you can go back to work.

Nomad

Reminder, that by law any statutory holiday entitlement not able to be taken due to sickness can be carried over to the next holiday year.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Mickymouse1962

No vulnerable people back till 29th 11th if you sign disclaimer

notsofunny

Did you do a OH with them ? and what else did they say ?

Zx81

The OH is done around about the 22nd of June and should be completed  by the OH before the 29th of june return date.

User5249

Hi
I still dont get it. I am just a vulnerable colleague (Asthma, but not severe) who has been shielding from the 20th of march. I just had today the letter from the manager about returning on the 11th signing a declaration.  know i can refuse to return on the 11th and that will trigger an occupational health assessment that i need to do. And here is when the questions comes...
1- Can I refuse for the occupational health to get involved? (It says on our Tesco site that we can)
2 When will i actually  have to come back to work once the occupational health assessment says that i am a vulnerable colleague (not an extremely one)? Will it be on the 29th or will it be as soon as we get an answer from the OH?
Also, how will the time from the 11th to the 29th of June will be coded? Will it be Sick?

Thanks ion advance

Morris999

1. Yes you can refuse to get OH involved, however you will then be expected to either return from the 11th June, or stay off unpaid.
2. If you have OH then you will return for you first shift from the 29th June if they assess you as vulnerable.
3.The time off until the 29th June will be paid in full as has been currently been done.
Sick pay will only start from 29th June.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: User5249 on 08-06-20, 04:49PM
1- Can I refuse for the occupational health to get involved? (It says on our Tesco site that we can)

You'll receive a call this week, you can refuse to go down the occupational health, however you'll be expected to return to the same position and agree a date, either the 11th or first shift after 11th. Though they'd still have a right of care so must still take into account your condition and move you if need be.

2 When will i actually  have to come back to work once the occupational health assessment says that i am a vulnerable colleague (not an extremely one)? Will it be on the 29th or will it be as soon as we get an answer from the OH?
Also, how will the time from the 11th to the 29th of June will be coded? Will it be Sick?

Occupational health may say depending on any extra conditions you'd be classed as extremely, of they don't and you are are still just in the clinically bit then they may suggest to work that there are things that need to be done to make it safer for you, such as temporarily moving you onto ankther shift or position in order to better protect your health, during the time OH is going on you'll be paid like you are now with 2 weeks coded as holiday total, if you've had other holidays booked since March then those will also be included and replace over the 2 week initial loss of holiday, once OH get back to you and your managers, you'll then agree with your manager a start date to come back into work and start working again, of which you'll still have to have 4 weekly updates as government advice changes and also just to make sure you are adjusting well. For atleast 2 to 3 sessions.

You can just return on the 29th without occupational if you want too...

Wilted20

Quote from: Morris999 on 08-06-20, 05:13PM
3.The time off until the 29th June will be paid in full as has been currently been done.
Sick pay will only start from 29th June.

Hi,

I’m in the extremely vulnerable category, and have been shielding for 12 weeks. I had two separate weeks of holiday pre-booked during this 12 week period, so no problem there.

However, I have another week pre-booked between the original policy return to work date (11th June), and the new policy start date (29th June).

Out of interest, does anybody know whether my June holiday will be used in conjunction with the old policy, or used towards the (2 days per 4 week period that I’m off) new policy?

Thank you.

notsofunny

Going by what someone has told me that is in your situation , Your holidays booked will stand just like they did last time , and the other 2 days will be on top , which seems crazy to me and I don't understand why its being done this way but then that's what my friend has been told ,

Another thing is that if you have sick leave remaining that will be used as well so it could mean that in the 4 weeks 1 week and 3 days could be sick then 2 weeks 2 days holiday ,,,

But if someone does not have any sick pay due and have not booked any holidays they will only lose 2 days holiday ,

That's how I understand it ,

Started2008

I’ve been contacted as I fall into the extremely vulnerable catagory however what was explained was how much company sick pay is, does anyone know ? Would just like to be able to calculate roughly how much I’ll be getting. Thanks in advance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk