Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 02:30PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 542
Total: 546

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter.

Started by Undercover1, 26-05-18, 12:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JL

SFO make sure your new starts find this forum our TMs spout a lot of c**p on a daily basis to them and they are taken in.

monsterandmadman

Quote from: Red75 on 13-06-18, 12:45AM
The thing that I find unsavory about this is this is that the rate of pay in November 2016 would not even meet the present minimum wage so how can they use this for comparison. I will be - working 30 hours a week including Sunday - compared with 30 June pay rates, approximately £11 a week worse of on July 1st and £2 a week worse off with the November pay rise. When  presented with the new contract, why would I sign a contract with a lesser rate of pay unless I am  compensated for doing so. That £11 a week for four or five months is really going to hurt. Used to have disposable income on nights money but no longer.

This is pretty much EXACTLY my situation.

I'm contracted to 30 hours, with 8 of them being a Sunday. Wage pluctuations are:

October 2017 -  259.11 (At 7.621 P/H and with time and half on Sundays)
November 2017 - 272.71 (At 8.021 P/H)
July 2018 - 261.76 (At 8.18 P/H and time and a quarter on Sundays)
November 2018 - 269.44 (At 8.42 P/H and time and a quarter on Sundays)

So yes, in theory I am 10 quid better off per week (November 18 compared to October 17), I find it incomprehensible that they can justify paying me 272.71 per week after the first wage rise, for 8 months.

So as you say, I have taken a wage cut as of four days ago, to the sum of 10.95 and come November 2018, will only claw back 7.68 of that, and still be worse off than I was a year previous, in November 2017.

I hold out no hope for a payment on July 27th, and my manager has claimed he cannot give me any other hours (which are suitable for me also).

K2S0

I still have not told officially about the change other than "oh it changes in July". I've not been told anything about an actual day it changes, I don't know if I'll get a pay out but my "manager" has handed me a new contract to sign that doesn't mention any pay premium and I'm fairly sure has a different job code

sfo

K2SO
Does the new contract specify the weekly wage - if so is it less than your last contract?

K2S0

Ok I've just compared contracts and they appear to be identical I'm starting to suspect that I've just been given a contract to sign because my manager, the one who interviewed and hired me, hasn't actually been around and doesn't know I've already signed one when I first started 3 months ago.

I have seen people on here mention new contracts so maybe it is maybe it isn't

sfo

if you only started 3 months ago there probably wouldn't  be a material difference. For those of us that have been there three years or more we were promised a 10.57% rise over two years. But those of us who work on Sundays actually get around 3% by November over the 2 years - minus of course the lower wages paid for the next 5 months so in all we get very little if not nothing.

strescovet

So I have just received a new contract and it definitely includes the new sunday premium in my calculated weekly payment that is displayed on the contract.

I am reluctant to sign this however as I am not happy with the way the conpany has dealt with this whole thing, there has been no communication about how they calculate those 'affected' and anyway in my eyes everyone that works sundays is affected in some way no matter what.

We should have received something weeks in advance detailing the changes to our contracts and any justification of compensation calculations (or lack thereof).

My question is, if I refuse to sign a new contract what would be the outcome? I don't agree with the changes to my terms and conditions - reduced sunday premium.
Can they change my weekly rate of pay without my consent and if they do need my consent but I don't agree would there be any possibility of a redundancy claim or constructive dismissal?

Loki

Interesting question.

After all, with the "exceptional handful of workers" who are eligible for a cushion payment as a result of them being worse off, were not the remaining employees promised a 10.57% increase over the 2 year pay deal? ;)
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

sfo

I have the booklet in front of me and there's a sleight of hand going on here worthy of Paul Daniels . It seems that they include the bonus, retirement savings and even 26p for the staff discount in the calculation. To get 26p per hour you have to spend £2.60 or around a quarter of the gross rate ph. Seeing as we pay tax and NI on this it's probably in excess of 30% of your take home per hour. I'm guessing most of us can't afford to that. So until Debbie Mcgee, Tesco or USDAW comes on to explain how it was done, we will never know. My bet is on the glorious Debbie. We probably won't really know the full extent of how we were ripped off until we can compare next April's P60 with this year's.   

Loki

Point being the pay increases by 10.57 % for all hourly paid colleagues... but only on the basic hourly rate. However, those who work Sunday hours who don't qualify for the cushion payment, including nightworkers who have had their night premiums frozen, will not receive an overall 10.57% increase in contractual pay whereas those who do not work Sunday hours or/and nights will.

On that basis all those who receive less than a 10.57% increase should be eligible for a cushion payment especially when considering the loss of contractual pay in the long term.

It's bad enough the Union agreed to these cuts to begin with, but to agree to a calculation for the cushion payment that has led to a majority not receiving any compensation beggars belief.

sfo

Quote from: Loki on 06-07-18, 01:27PM
Point being the pay increases by 10.57 % for all hourly paid colleagues... but only on the basic hourly rate. However, those who work Sunday hours who don't qualify for the cushion payment, including nightworkers who have had their night premiums frozen, will not receive an overall 10.57% increase in contractual pay whereas those who do not work Sunday hours or/and nights will.

On that basis all those who receive less than a 10.57% increase should be eligible for a cushion payment especially when considering the loss of contractual pay in the long term.

It's bad enough the Union agreed to these cuts to begin with, but to agree to a calculation for the cushion payment that has led to a majority not receiving any compensation beggars belief.

Millie

Believe me when I say the cushion payment wasn't worth having. It's not even covered three months of my overall loss . It's an absolute disgrace

sfo

From the booklet Matt Davies Chief Executive UK and ROI  regarding the raise. "It makes our total reward package more competitive, simple, fair and sustainable than ever before". Reckon he left the  company a few months ago before people started throwing stones at him?

Loki

sfo

Guess he has a different dictionary to the rest of us

Loki

And the only recent communication from Usdaw regarding this is:

Transition Payment

Staff financially affected by the reduction in premiums will receive a transition payment in July.

To calculate entitlement to a payment, Tesco will analyse a year's worth of pay data for every member of staff from November 2016 to November 2017. This will be compared with what their pay would be, working exactly the same hours, with the new higher rate of pay and the lower premium rates.

If an individual is worse off under the new pay structure according to this calculation, they will receive a lump sum payment equivalent to 18 months of the difference in pay.

Please note, not everyone who works a Sunday or bank holiday will automatically receive a payment – it is about whether, following all of the changes, they remain financially impacted. Tesco will write to affected staff only, at the end of June.

Nothing else!!!

Loki

Correct me If I'm wrong, but didn't Sainsbury's have a similar problem and are not Usdaw the recognised Union there?

his scots tie

If they take the 3% pay rise into calculations ,you dont get that till November.So you will be earning less from July till November.

Witch69

Surely  it's not right that some of us are worse off for 5 months. That's can't be right

sfo

Of course it's not right - but Tesco and USDAW know that- hence the lack of explanation and transparency

sfo

by the way anyone seen the 2018/2019 colleague bonus booklet yet ? Obviously i'm joking

Hammer10

Is there anyone in the country that can be asked about the way we have been treated there must be some employment law as regards the way people should be informed or in tescos case not informed about the way there wages are calculated when they are changing contracts around surely if you calculated last years pay cut you would do it the same the following year and not move the goal posts to suit them selves.Still no letter or explain action on how they come to the decision most of us get nothing .

lucgeo

So how about all the people who are suffering a detriment and disadvantage, by losing money and not receiving the same pay rise as their weekday contracted colleagues, put in a collective grievance, under T&C's.

Start a petition, call for a ballot on lack of confidence in USDAW. Inform the papers of your intent. Even though I'm not affected, I'll sign it in support. :thumbup:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

fatboy

Colleague bonus 2018/19 details to be released in August.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk