News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:47PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 408
Total: 412

Frozen chips a veg.

Started by Nomad, 01-02-21, 11:11AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are frozen chips a veg

Yes
59 (37.3%)
No
99 (62.7%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Nomad

Money off frozen veg voucher !

Are frozen crinkle chips a vegetable  :question: , if not why not  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Ravvers

No , because there is a ton of added ingredients so it has changed from being a pure vegetable

penguin

Agree with Ravvers, those chips have a load of additives added to them, there far from a pure vegetable.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

But the voucher did not contain the word 'pure', it just said spend £x or more on frozen vegetable.

I hate to think how much we buy that is advertised as such and such, and it has been messed about and added to more than a frozen chip.

So if its been added to it is different to that which they are advertising, therefore it follows that it is false advertising which is a crime.

Potato chips, potatos are a vegetable, you/they can't have it both ways  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

I don't know a lot about these matters but I would assume as long as the ingredients are clearly labelled on the back of the pack then there is no real case of false advertising to answer.

It does beg the question to what extent could a product be considered a veg, for example if you had a voucher saying save £1 on veg could you argue a bag of crisps were a veg considering of course there made from spuds, or a bag of frozen onion rings, this could really open up a real can of worms.

Ravvers

I bet it causes arguments at the checkouts if the voucher does not work , I guess front end just agree to let them have it cheaper .

Nomad

penguin, I agree 'a can of worms'    :)

So if main ingredient is finest British potatos then chips & crisps,etc are a  vegetable .
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Poltergeist

@Nomad. A vegetable is a vegetable no matter what pre-p-reparation is done to it (to a certain degree) 🤣). In this case potatoes are vegetables even though they are carbohydrates, they are still classified scientifically as vegetables. 😀

gomezz

What if the potato is "prepared" by adding some meat and putting it in a pie?   :D
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Nomad

Now you're being silly  :D  ;D  ;)

Incidentally I did get my voucher accepted for my frozen oven chips.  8)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dirty-donkey

The devil in me hoped you would be refused your bag of discount chips Nomad!!
I know how much you enjoy the fight, especially when you is right!

Remember also that the way Tosco can bend and break Employment law, Accounting law, Elf and safety law etc I'm sure they can break the laws of nature and proclaim a potato is not a veg, if they so decree!
:D

Nomad

Ah, you know me so well  ;D  :thumbup:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Morris999

I’d say as the NHS and food nutritionists don’t class chips as part of your 5 a day there’s your answer🙂.

Nomad

They don't class dauphinoise potatoes either.  I would hate to try and count how many vegetables they don't class as veg.  :)

i.e. Fiddleheads. Ramps. Dulse. Jicama. Kohlrabi.  :o
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

grim up north

Quote from: Nomad on 01-02-21, 09:23PM
penguin, I agree 'a can of worms'    :)

So if main ingredient is finest British potatos then chips & crisps,etc are a  vegetable .

I have a voucher for water. Could I use it for beer then since it's about 95% water, using that argument..?

penguin

You could use it for Bud Light as that is 100 percent water

grim up north

Nomad

Give it a go, if you've got the 'bottle'  ;D nothing ventured nothing gained  :thumbup:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

So, a roast potato and carrot cannot be counted as two of your five a day.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Mark calloway

Is cider part of your 5 a day?? It's made of apples after all.

Nomad

If roast potato/carrot are not veg because they're cooked then a very large number of veg are no longer veg because they are boiled or blanched etc, moreover a large number of veg are frozen when bought.

I fail to see the logic that frozen chips (cut up potato) are not veg, but packets of frozen (sliced) carrots are.  They are both cooked in some way before they are consumed.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/health-value-of-foods/are-french-fries-vegetable
QuoteAs French fries come from potatoes, they are technically a vegetable.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )

alf

Potatoes are not considered part of your 5 a day regardless of them being processed or unprocessed.

Are frozen/oven chips a potato, personally I say no, it's a foodstuff prepared/processed from potato and other ingredients.

Nomad

So cabbage in bubble and squeak is not a veg.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Morris999

Chips/fries/roast potatoes/boiled potatoes/mash potatoes or any other way you want your potatoes are not part of your 5 a day as they mainly contribute to your Starch intake.
Yes potatoes are technically a vegetable however as they are classed as a starch they do not count.

Carrots on the other hand do count as 1 of your 5 a day.
As for cooking them it makes no difference.

Nomad

So cabbage in bubble and squeak is a veg, one of your 5 a day, I love bubble.  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk