Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

20-05-24, 07:51PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,907
  • Latest: Old man
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,567
  • Total Topics: 647
  • Online today: 128
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 72
Total: 75

Personal Development Plan

Started by Nomad, 01-10-10, 12:39PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Personal Development Plan (PDP).

Forum extracts.

As I am sure you are aware your PDP should highlight things about yourself which you feel need further development. You should start by brainstorming your own Strengths and Weaknesses and highlight areas for improvement. Your Personell Manager or Line Manager in many cases would be happy to help you do this if you are having difficulty. They can also provide you with the Tesco Template PDP

Once you have highlighted areas for improvement you need to this consider how you will bring about this improvement and what work related activities can you engage with in order to do this. It is important that you set clear activities, and set clear deadlines.

You should use your PDP as a flowing document updated, amended and changed as needed. It can be useful to you if used properly and if you engage and follow through with what you write... for a lot of people PDP's seem to just be a box ticking exercise!

If you are looking for areas for improvement and are still stuck I'm sure the forum can contribute with some generic starting points like 'Confidence' for example, and to improve this you might take a larger role at Team 5 Meetings or Store Forums... both would be separate points and carry deadlines such as by "X MONTH" and "attend next 2 Store Forums" - things like that!

It is important you include how you will know an improvement has taken place too - so you can measure how successfull you have been in developing this area of yourself.

360 forms are great way of getting feedback, however when you hand them out, give deadlines, because people won't fill them in, esp if you hand them to managers!

Offer to have a coffee in canteen, in your own time, when they are working and go through it with them.  (arrive at work 30 Minutes before your shift or stay a little late - after all its good for your development.....)

When you get negative feedback - ask for examples, it might hurt, but turn it into constructive criticism.

With 360s you hand them out to your peers, teamleaders managers and store manager, and if three people put the same negative thing - that goes on to your PDP.  If only one person writes a negative thing, but no one else picks on it, is it a true characteristic of yourself?

i had one person write on mine that they did not feel they could trust me.  However of the 20 360s I handed out, no on else but that - so I left it off my PDP, however I asked them why and worked to gain his trust.

When doing your PDP link it in with the Leadership framework and the Tesco Values.  (ask your PM or SM (EOM if in express) for a copy of the Leadership framework)

make sure what is on your PDP is about your behaviour, not your technical ability.

More often than not, Stop, start, Continues are used for the basis of a PDP.
These are a simpler and quicker method of getting a snapshot from other people, they take less time to complete, are simple and therefore you have a far better degree of success in getting them returned.
So, 3 examples of behaviours I should stop, 3 that I should start and 3 that I should continue.

e.g  Stop over using language be concise and to the point
       Start using Email more rather than using hand written notes
       Continue accurate reporting of xyz

Gather 3 or 4 of these and you will notice some common elements that you can build your PDP around.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk