Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:07PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Headphone in one ear on shop floor.

Started by Chambers21, 15-04-21, 08:54AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chambers21

I work an early shift 05.00 - 12.00 AM, usually filling non food isles (Toys, Home care, etc). For the past 5 - 6 years I have always listened to music in one ear while filling for the first few hours until customers usually start coming in. A new manager has started on Dot Com and she has decided to start hunting my down every morning to tell me to remove the headphone because its "against Tesco policy". She even threatened me with a disciplinary. Now I know i'm technically in the wrong, but being able to listen to music actually makes me work faster and let's me semi enjoy a days work instead of just being bored and unmotivated. No other manager (including the store manager) ever complains, no customer has ever complained and I can hear anyone who tries to communicate with me or any fire alarms/announcements. Basically i'm wondering what sort of punishment I can realistically expect if she keeps catching me with a headphone in?

Me2015

Start with Let's Talk then move down disc process until dismissal, if you continue to wear the earpiece!

Don't let it get to that stage though, not worth losing your job or being targeted because of it!  I know it's something you have gotten used to, however in this case, just accept it, she is correct in stating policy and if you continue to wear it despite her chatting with you then I suspect she gunning for this route!

There are ways and means of working alongside colleagues, I'd be playing it a different way, but policy trumps all I'm afraid!

Chambers21

It is extremely frustrating. People stand around talking, barely working and she says nothing. I'm working my arse off listening to a bit of Oasis and get moaned at for it. I might continue until I get a first warning and stop then.

Biscuit tin

Tell her to concentrate on her own department. Dot-Com managers are the biggest jobsworths going when it comes to the rest of the store.

hkd

Buy a cheap hearing aid , take it apart and put a blue tooth headphone inside the ear piece.

VladPutin

And managers wonder why no one respects them... 8-)

Quote from: Biscuit tin on 15-04-21, 09:58AM
Tell her to concentrate on her own department. Dot-Com managers are the biggest jobsworths going when it comes to the rest of the store.

Agreed. I had a dot com manager pull me aside once. The one time I wear black trousers because I didn't have my blue ones, my mistake. Decides to pull me aside and ask what's going on with my trousers lol. I genuinely said "worry about your own staff, there's at least 5 wearing black trousers I don't see you pulling them up". While I walked off as he was still talking and telling me to come back lol. They love to have their little power trip because nothing is going on in their own lives it make's them feel important.

In regards to the headphone comment. She seems like the type that would take things farther as to not be bested. As you said, see if you get a let's talk about it and then stop maybe.

gomezz

One ruse would be to wear a company cap with a Bluetooth bone conduction speaker fitted so it presses lightly on your skull just behind the ear.  Used to do this with my motorbike helmet with the audio feed from the sat-nav.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

beentheredoneit

stop using it, but keep an eye open for any others who do. If they arent challenged, time for a grievance.
beentheredoneit

oldfashionedplayer

As mentioned above, stop using it but note any others who are and haven't been challenged by said manager, then you can put in a bullying grievance. The official stance is that

"We do not have a people policy for earphones at work, this is something that stores tend to manage locally"

Its primarily up to your managers if your allowed to wear or not, so if they allow it great, if thry don't then you have to respect it or it comes under the disciplinary process for refusal of a reasonable request, which can lead to dismissal if its continuous... But again as said, make note if its just you or if its others as well, if it's others as well, you've got a crappy manager, if it's you, you've got a case.

gomezz

I wear an earbud when listening to the test cricket or F1 practise while working.  One thing I do though is always make sure I am talking to the customer in half or three-quarter profile so they do not see the ear with the earbud in so can be assured I am giving them my full attention.  Mind, in the current situation, it is a good idea anyway to always be turned away from whoever you are talking to rather than directly face to face.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Mark calloway

I think what annoys customers is colleagues texting etc while working. When I was shopping some young lady was texting while scanning my shopping. Its was 9pm so there was no manager to be seen.

penguin

Would annoy me if a staff member dealing with me was texting or using phone while serving me or anyone else, of course genuine emergencies you can understand, and of course in that situation I would be fully understanding, but aside from that the customer comes first, sorry if I come across like a mardy old git but the customer and ones job comes before facebook or instagram or chatting on phone etc.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

chris9997

Forget about what everyone else is doing follow the rules and if you have been asked not to wear them don't, telling on other workers never ends up well for you, and it's mm job to observe and act and in your case they did.
Also someone advised to tell her to concentrate on her own area,
That would more than likely make the situ worse and who knows she may one day be your manager and she will see you instantly as trouble.

forrestgimp

If others are doing what they are being taken to task for I don't think asking why they are allowed to do as they please is an unreasonable question to ask and will probably be the first step in proving bullying and or harassment.

epsilonred

Music also helps me work significantly better, and my manager knows this for some of our CA's,
they only dislike it a lot of they try to get your attention and you don't hear them.
I at least wait until the store is closed or it's quiet day, if I see anybody approaching I'll often pause it or take it out fully if it's a manager

If a new manager started working and asked me to take it out, I'd start only listening  to music when the managers take their break or something  :(
bruh

jester21

I don't like it with people having headphones to be honest as in my store they usually have them in so the can talk on there their phone, every night our fillers have them on talking on the phones with the headphones in even still when customers are near them our twilight manager allows them to then wonders why they don't finish there their jobs, It's like there they're on a call centre all night and it looks unprofessional but am only talking about my store, people take the mickey and it spoils for it others!

horatiocain

I know the CFC network has it in their risk assessment that earphones cannot be used, ask them which policy forbids its use, if there isn't one ask for a copy of the risk assessment  which your legally entitled to, if there are no mentioning of a prohibition then Continue using them, also you should note if others are using earphones.
If they are and not being challenged then it's victimisation, you would be receiving deferential treatment by comparison and that's gross misconduct on the managers part and easy to progress through a grievance and eventual tribunal claim.

I have no confidence in tescos grievance procedures, because I have no confidence in tesco management.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk