News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:20PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,124
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 289
Total: 295

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King1999

That would be assault,grievance it.

londoner83

Could also consider reporting it to the police.....

penguin

Police would be the best option, and do not fall for the rubbish some Tesco management tell you about you needing prior approval from them to report an in work incident to the police. You have every right to contact them if you see fit.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Baba_G

Quote from: Dragonfly on 30-01-21, 12:39PM
Gaby M Would be dependent on the situation
Hello. So the situation was that i was confronted by a security guard as i was leaving the store about my exemption badge. I showed it to him he was beeing agressive and due to mental health isssues i walked away . He then followed me calling me by my name thrue the parking lot all the way to my car

penguin

If I was you I would be putting in a grievance about that Gaby, considering the incident happened as you were leaving the store, so while your shift has finished you are still of course classed as staff regardless of if on shift or not.

Poltergeist

Gaby M. I personally think there is more to this situation that you are letting on. However, if you were in uniform and were accosted by the security guard who usually is sited within the store’s boundaries then yes, you are still deemed an employee in my opinion. Even exiting the premises, if identifiable as a Tesco employee in uniform you are therefore still the face and representation of Tesco no matter if you have clocked out. Your actions in uniform speak volumes whether clocked out or not (especially if those actions bring Tesco’s reputation into disrepute). Tesco’s Social Media Policy is an indication here. If you identify yourself as being a Tesco Employee for example on Facebook, your posts even though on your personal and private time, could come back to haunt you iro causing repetitional damage to Tesco, If you feel aggrieved, then I suggest you put in a Grievance. However, I suggest you wait a few days to let emotion clear and logic prevail. If logic still prevails after a few days then definitely put in a Grievance.

Baba_G

Yes there is more to the situation . I cannot go into details unfortunatley. Just wanted clarification regarding what tesco stance is after clocking out. Thank you

Poltergeist

Gaby M. Just to reiterate that this is my opinion as to how it would be seen ito law in U.K.. I could be wrong. I read for am LLB in another country and what seems like centuries ago. Good luck but really allow time for introspection  :thumbup:

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Poltergeist

Employment Rights Act 1996 as a point of departure. But then you already knew that didn’t you.

Nomad

You got me there, the Employment Rights Act 1996 is massive, could quote the exact relevant section, just to help VLH members.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Poltergeist

@Nomad. As I stated the relevant Act is the point of departure. Everything cascades from the requirements of the Act. Perhaps you should actually read it. It's quite logical where it makes reference to requirements, then one has to cross reference various COS etc. Therefore providing exact sections of the Act would be quite inappropriate. Mind you, in this 'Spoon Fed' era we live in... There are times the law doesn't just say X,Y,Z. It will require you to make use of your grey matter and then look at the appropriate policies it make reference to in respect of your own sector of employment.

I've discovered that you are a bit of a Troll aren't you? Thanks for the ride on here, but I'm no longer going to participate. I don't like Trolls. Best wishes x

[admin]It's unfortunate you were not able or not willing to post a link to information that could have helped the member with their problem. If by Troll you mean playing provocateur some times to try and get members the information they need then, guilty. Good bye.[/admin]

NightAndDay

Quote from: GabyM on 30-01-21, 11:14AM
Hello. New to the forum and i come in need of some advice. I have been involved in a situation after i logged out finishing my  shift as i was walking out the doors of the store . My question is aftet you clock out at the end of your shift are you clased as a customer even if you are still in uniform ? Thank you

As soon as you clock out, you're an employee who is off the clock, you can't be made to work etc, however you are still expected to not act in ways that would cause disrepute to your employer. It's quite common for this to form part of the contract, social media policies for example forbid posting anything which can undermine your employers reputation.

VladPutin

Quote from: Mark calloway on 30-01-21, 12:29PM
Tesco are pathetic, campaigning against violence yet if we physically stop someone of defend ourselves we get fired.

I'd only use force to defend myself. I'm not putting myself at risk to stop a shoplifter.

Nomad

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19256015.shoplifter-punched-hurled-gin-store-manager/

QuoteWigan magistrates heard that Davis has previous convictions.

Sentencing him to eight weeks in prison, suspended for 18 months, Davis was told: "This was an assault on a shop manager engaged in public duties and is a serious offence."

Serious offence  >:(  previous convictions  :o

NO jail time, who's kidding who  :question: have magistrates never heard of deterrent sentencing  :question:

I would have given 18 months in jail so they served between 9-12, and another 12 months suspended on release for 18 months.  Let the perp laugh that off down the pub with their mates  :-\
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

Sadly Nomad that's about the average sentence for such an offence in the magistrates court these days, sentencing guidelines leave there hands all but tied to impose such weak punishments, a disgraceful situation butt the fault really lies with the sentencing council who produce the rules.

That being said I do feel the sentence is far to soft, punching someone is unacceptable enough but chucking a gin bottle could result in some serious damage had it hit the face or head.

Simulacrum

I was called to an incident by a CA a few weeks ago, the customer was a young lad and his body language was threatening the female CA who was challenging him for ID. He argued with me and came right up to me, then left with the goods without paying.

I asked for him to be banned, but no action was taken.

Same guy came in a few weeks later and I denied sale of goods. He verbally threatened me, but this time he did leave and didn't take anything.

The boys mother comes in one evening with him on speakerphone. I didn't realise at first as I was busy but I heard him making derogatory comments about me down the phone. His mother seemed to be encouraging him and laughed when he yelled about stealing from the store. Great parenting.

I have a slight medical issue and was starting to hyperventilate in the store after dealing with some difficult customers. My fellow SL suggested I get some fresh air, which I did. Unfortunately as I left the store I was verbally abused and a man attempted to assault me. I had to run in the store but he ran in after me. He was very drunk and was screaming whilst looking for me. I had to lock myself in the secure safe room to avoid violence.

Nothing will be done.

penguin

Tell your store manager that you want the matter reporting to the police Simulacrum, and if they refuse call the police yourself, some managers will try to tell you that without permission from them you cannot report an in work incident to the police yourself, this is not true, you have every right to report these matters if you see fit.

Nomad

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/tesco/tesco-ceo-calls-for-legislation-to-protect-staff-from-abuse/656800.article

QuoteJason Tarry has joined calls for legislation to protect shopworkers from 'abuse, threats and violence'

I believe the law already affords all persons that protection, no matter their rank or profession.  :thumbup:

Perhaps Jason Tarry could begin by ensuring management support staff on each and every occasion of threats/actual physical violence, and verbal abuse.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

Need to also ensure Dundee back the staff in store in such situations, a couple of years back a bloke had a right go at a young man who was on checkouts, directed a load of homophobic abuse at him and the level of his screaming was such that kids in store were crying, duty arrived and to be fair told the customer to get out and that he was no longer welcome, ten mins later Dundee on the phone, customer is in his car outside, says he was banned unfairly and duty was told by Dundee to go out and say sorry to the customer, he refused and Dundee then sent a report to the store manager telling him to investigate duty for refusing to try and win back the customer, SM said no way he was doing that and backed the duty managers actions.

dizzy_1

Depends on the sob story they feed Dundee, because they never tell them that they have "Just abused a staff member and stole a bottle of vodka" A very very long time ago in my first store we had a customer pull a small shelf that held baby wipes and a few nappies, off the wall and say it fell on her baby while she was changing the child. This shelf didn't fall it was wrenched from the wall along with the raul plugs on some of the screws and a bit of tile from the wall too. She was sent flowers and a voucher, there was not a mark on the baby and it wasn't screaming the place down. There used to be a woman who ordered more paracetamol than was allowed, every week her shopping was delivered with only 2 packets not the 8 or so she ordered and every week she would call Dundee and complain, she got her delivery cost back until they got fed up of her and refused, which was also a complaint lol
i dont have an attitude problem you have a perception problem!

Nomad

The first action of any arbiter should be a request to the other party for their explanation of events.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Initforthemoney

I am absolutely appalled by our in store security, just got off shift for the fifth consecutive night with no in store security. had multiple counts of theft and bad manners to me and my colleagues. the security guard had just walked off to go do his own thing. this happens on the regular. the only good security guard we had got the sack because he "handled" a customer wrong. that customer was spitting and threatening the customer service staff.

im half tempted to write to the regional manager about this, as i do not feel there are enough safety measures in place. this goes back months as well, girls in the store have been stalked or followed home due to their name badges, and when they took them off for there own safety, were given lets talk forms and told to put them back on.

managers dont care about any of the staff, only about what makes the higher ups happy and what lines their pockets.

there is so much wrong with the store its unreal.

lucgeo

First off...you and your colleagues put in a group grievance to the SM...headed terms and conditions & health and safety!
In that form you state your grievance, in that you feel the store is failing in their duty of care to protect the staff, and your right from " freedom of fear" ...every colleague who is filing this grievance should sign. You do not have to present it on the official grievance form, you can just use a plain piece of paper, ensure you head it under the terms of the grievance, and date it. Photocopy it and present this with the term 'copy' written clearly and keep the original! You should also give a copy to the store health and safety rep, and one to your union rep, if any of you are members?

A name badge does not have to display your proper name, it should be what you are comfortable with, or which you are generally known by. In this instance of stalking, I would suggest you approach the PP to arrange a suitable temporary name badge, with a suggestion of an alias name until the grievance is dealt with to everyone's satisfaction.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

Ex-Tottenham star Chris Armstrong punched Tesco worker and caused £2k damage

QuoteChris Armstrong caused £2,000 worth of damage in a local Tesco and punched a worker to the floor after being told he couldn't buy cigarettes, a court heard.

The former Tottenham striker, 50, admitted a charge of common assault and criminal damage to Westminster Magistrates' Court on Thursday morning.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk