News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:02AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Pay Increase 2021

Started by vyvan70, 25-10-21, 12:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightAndDay

My mate is on 22.5k, I heard that the bees knees of TMs in London Extra stores who say the right things and are mates with the SD and SM are on £70k a year.

Totot

5p over nlw will make all the ca under nlw after pension deduction.

lordadmiral

Quote from: Modena on 26-10-21, 12:33PM
Trying to get this out there in case people don't know ocado are know paying £12-40 a hour basic rising to £16 to £19 for overtime and lates on wkends, job and knock and you don't load your own vans, why are tesco not responding to this as 4 of our drivers have applied already.

Ocado is an technology company not retailer. They use special algorithms to deliver the gods bla bla bla so the pay is higher

lordadmiral

Quote from: person7 on 26-10-21, 05:18PM
Quote from: vyvan70 on 25-10-21, 12:50PM
National Living Wage set to rise to £9.50 an hour https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59038076

The BBC just published the minimum wage rising to £9.50 in the budget, giving a 6.6% increase over the current minimum. This would mean Tesco employees on the base rate would be virtually on minimum wage. Will Tesco be raising currently pay rates to match the percentage increase?

i was wondering the same thing but I've never heard of tesco doing a wage increase in april, I bet we will get a tiny 30p an hour increase by october and thats it. - I mean we WERE promised over £10 an hour by at least 1 - 2 years ago, but yet to see any of that happening.

If minimum wage will go up by 5% in 2023 then it would be £9.97. If we receive payrise in autumn 2022 then you could expect atleast 5%.
Now when Tesco wage will be in par with NMW any huge jump of NMW is and would be  huge cost for a company that already spent so much on driving costs down.
At the moment we can expect huge shake up around pay structure. Or basic rate stay in line with NMW or will go up to something like £10+ but premiums or night team will be scrapped.

person7

really tesco should do their pay increases in april, just like everyone else along with taxes and minimum wage and UC etc.

but then we would notice more on just how poor we are being paid.. (like only 5p above minimum wage from April to October next year) that said theres a 90% chance either pay rises in sep/oct next year will be either the usual tiny amount... and/or we will lose sunday/bank holiday bonus pay and/or night premiums. (i work every bank holiday just because i need the extra cash but there will be no incentive at all to work these soon, as I doubt they will last much longer.

and yet it was advertised how we have been getting "the best pay rises in history" - yet still one the worst paid compared to other supermarkets - worse still now that we will next year be only 5p over minimum wage for hard work - i mean... i may as well quit and get one them jobs you sit around at a desk watching cctv screens or something like you see in the films... even if i lose that 5p an hour! lol -

especially the way things are in GM in my store. having to store 1/3 of the whole superstore ON YOUR OWN and do fireworks and headphones and inks and games and tvs (as none are on the shelves) and also do the tills and sometimes trolleys... (and they have excuses theres no money to get extra staff and they wonder why customers are getting less because no staff to help them in time and why staff are dropping like flies... we had 6 or 7 staff leave in the past 4 months, and only 1 new staff thats NOT a Christmas temp

Anyway (sorry i kind of went on a rant there), even with a 5% increase it still means we will only be on very close to minimum wage - which is not the "real living wage" - (right now the "real living wage" from april 2021 until march 2022 is £9.50 an hour - so next year we can expect that to be a lot more as thats more or less what we get now and many staff are really struggling to pay the bills - my friend at work is left with like £3 odd after all bills tax and food etc as he cant get more hours - (and you cant just get a 2nd job these days as the 2nd job is fully taxed even before the £12k threshold making you even more worse off)

Hammer10

They need to save their money when they have to pay staff same as distribution.it's going to cost them a fortune,not only that the back pay for all the staff that have signed up to Leigh and day .

Morris999

Quote from: NightAndDay on 26-10-21, 06:45PM
My mate is on 22.5k, I heard that the bees knees of TMs in London Extra stores who say the right things and are mates with the SD and SM are on £70k a year.

The fact that you actually believe that is worrying.

Just think about it for a second.

70k is more than than Lead managers, group Team and a lot of Store Managers!

No SD or SM would sign that off for a TM.
As soon as they moved stores or groups the next SD & SM would know and they would be out of a job, along with the TM.

To be on 70k they would be on either £37.39 per hour basic or be on at least £30 per hour plus most sundays, night premiums  etc.
Considering everyone on here complains about some TM's being on 30k which is £16 per hour, a TM being on over £30 per hour isn't going to happen.

NightAndDay

What would you say is the most a TM can earn then?

BUY TESLA STOCK

Have to laugh Night GAs looking for a pay rise and they are getting more than a shift manager in Lidl. Agency's do pay £17 an hour but they don't offer regular hours, work on your doorstep, pension contributions etc. Yes it's went downhill but it's private business sector where the pay was always terrible. Bet half your colleagues wouldn't even show up for interview at Lidl at £20 an hour because they like filling crisps all night then going down for a skive at the sandwich cabinet and they would last. People can't even last at morrisons without asking back to Tesco.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: NightAndDay on 27-10-21, 09:45AM
What would you say is the most a TM can earn then?

Same rate as a shift manager at Lidl would be generous.

The TMs at Tesco do f all in comparison.

lordadmiral

Quote from: Tesla on 27-10-21, 11:45AM
Have to laugh Night GAs looking for a pay rise and they are getting more than a shift manager in Lidl. Agency's do pay £17 an hour but they don't offer regular hours, work on your doorstep, pension contributions etc. Yes it's went downhill but it's private business sector where the pay was always terrible. Bet half your colleagues wouldn't even show up for interview at Lidl at £20 an hour because they like filling crisps all night then going down for a skive at the sandwich cabinet and they would last. People can't even last at morrisons without asking back to Tesco.

You right, there two kind of people asking for better pay. The most useless and the best ones.
Your crisp example is perfect. In our SS people cant fill the crisps aisle and moan that work is hard but at the same time  we have one perosn on produce (3aisles) moaning that is not receiving help and work is n ot worth the money.

Guy from our store is in Aldi. Money is good, progression but hours sucks. One week its 3 days other week 6 days. People who are trully weak at work are kicked out asap or just leave beacuse they cant handle the work. Very high pace and preasure.

Maybe company should introduce prformance related pay. Keep low wages where it should be and pay decent one to those who realy desrve it.

BUY TESLA STOCK

70k  :o ;D

Pull the other one

NightAndDay

What's the upper range on TM earnings then? I knew of some Express SMs on £70k a year years ago until a management changed happened and they and the PM were forced out of the business, and the new range seems to be £29.6k-£50k a year.

Morris999

Quote from: NightAndDay on 27-10-21, 02:59PM
What's the upper range on TM earnings then? I knew of some Express SMs on £70k a year years ago until a management changed happened and they and the PM were forced out of the business, and the new range seems to be £29.6k-£50k a year.

An absolute maximum for TM's before premiums would be 35k, however there is literally a handful in the company on that, and most will be Leads etc that have stepped down.

The more realistic maximum is 32k for TM's that have been a manager since 2004 with green/blue/met etc reviews, probably started as a Stock or Compliance manager and or worked in an Extra.

There was a few years on the trott were a lot of long serving managers didn't get a pay rise due to them earning too much, and it's only been the past 3-5 years they started to receive them again but at a much lower rate compared to the lower earning managers in stores.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Not bad for reading newspapers at the front door, watching people work on cctv and taking people for daft let's talks and investigation for clocking in too early. No wonder Aldi and Lidl are running rings round them. 

NightAndDay

To be fair, that's more work than what the more highly paid Lead Team does, sitting in the costa with other lead team or the SM and making fun of their underlings.

Nowanexmgr

Quote from: Morris999 on 26-10-21, 06:41PM
Team Managers salary ranges between 22.5k-70k!

I've read some bulls*** on here but I think that has to be the best one.

I agree that the above pay band is rubbish.
I know for an absolute fact that when Tesco begged me to return after I took redundancy in 2015 I was brought back on one of the highest TM salaries in the company. After a few pay rises since I am now on 52k per year, plus I had my length of service reinstated in case of future redundancy situation (except for the statutory redundancy part of any future redundancy of course).

I am in the NW of England. I suppose in London there may be a few TMs on 55k plus but only a handful.

BUY TESLA STOCK

penguin

How can you have your length of service reinstated after redundancy, that sounds well iffy to me but then in this company nothing would come as that much of a shock anymore.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

oldfashionedplayer

It's happened In ours, one was given redundancy straight into dotcom next week, kept his benefits and holidays etc, been with company about 17 or so years... So surprising with it...

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: penguin on 01-11-21, 06:06PM
How can you have your length of service reinstated after redundancy, that sounds well iffy to me but then in this company nothing would come as that much of a shock anymore.

It's not about what you know it's about who you know  :-* :-* :-*

Nowanexmgr

Quote from: penguin on 01-11-21, 06:06PM

I made it a condition of my returning. Without that I wouldn't have returned (well I probably would have but wasn't going to let them know that). It was to protect me against any future redundancy. The only thing they couldn't do was reinstate my service for the purpose of working out any statutory redundancy I may be due in the event of another redundancy. In order to combat that i insisted on a significant pay rise over my old contract and they agreed.
I was lucky to be honest as I was in another job by then, and a much better paid one than Tesco too, but I missed the cut and thrust of working for Tesco, and they approached me to come back. My SM and SD asked to meet me for a coffee and it went from there.
I also get an average of two Saturdays per 6 weeks off too as my job I was in after Tesco didn't work weekends.

It's simply about knowing your own worth and not being afraid to demand it. SMs and SDs are human beings. They respect strength and being forthright in one's opinions. They asked me to come back. Apparently my old store "needed a strong manager" to support the senior leadership team. I told them what I wanted, I told them I wasn't prepared to enter a negotiation. Ie: pay me what I demand or I don't come back.

They caved and back I came. Fingers crossed I'll get another redundancy in the next couple of years as with having saved most of the last one, with another of a similar amount I'm going to retire abroad and out my feet up.

NightAndDay

Agree with the sentiment above, in my case though it can't work, I was an underappreciated shift leader when I left and am now on 6 figures. I won't be retiring any time soon though, I'm a fair way off from financial freedom.

madness

How can you be on a 6 figure salary but also some way off of financial freedom...

NightAndDay

A studio flat where I live on average costs £400k (and this isn't in London) meaning I can't even get a mortgage to buy a house on that money, with how inflation is heading, you'd need to either already own a house in the south east or struggle indefinitely as house prices raise faster than what you can save on £100k a year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk