News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:23AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 277
Total: 281

Covid and holidays

Started by Vinny1985, 25-10-21, 06:27AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny1985

Hi I started my holidays last monday. Night shift. I had covid symptoms Monday morning booked a test and I am positive. My covid note says I have to isolate from Monday. But work have said I cant cancel my holidays. My holiday didn't start until 11pm on that Monday. I been advised I should get my holidays back. As isolation stared before my holidays started at 11pm.  Any advice

Doggiedoodle

I have known some of my colleagues ring in and say they should be on holiday but are sick and their holidays have been changed to sick! Others have been sick but couldn't afford to lose money and have asked for holidays but have been refused as the manager has said sick is sick and holiday is holiday. They can't have it both ways surely......

sammy

In my store if you test positive and your on holiday it's your holiday that get used. We got told this in January before that it was sick. Also if you had to isolate and was on holiday the holiday still stands. This rule changed in January too. I know the rules have changed now around isolation if you've been double jabbed so that doesn't matter any more.

Vinny1985

But my holiday hadn't started. I had to isolate on the Monday. But I work night shift. So i started my isolation before my shift even started.

lucgeo

If you notified them of your sickness, before your contracted starting time, then it should get classed as sick!

If you were a day colleague and you were due to start your shift at 6 am but phoned in at 11.30 pm the previous night sick...then you would be classed as sick and they would cancel your holiday, because the sick call date and holiday date differed, even though you have only given 6 hours notice!

Because the Covid test states the same day as your holiday start day, is irrelevant in this case, as to do so would be treating you differently to day shift colleagues, causing you a detriment! This is what you and your rep should be pushing on your return!

On this Covid note, does it state the time of test? Not that it should make a big difference to the fact that you called in to state isolation with accompanying proof of test BEFORE your holiday commencement!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

I think there is a difference between preventative isolation and symptoms. If you have to isolate during your hols but show no symptoms and have negative results it stands as holiday. If you are positive, with or without symptoms it's sick. The problem lies with the many updates and how big the documents are. I may be wrong and happy to be corrected but I fail to see how you can be sick with COVID and not have it coded as sick. There is always the way round this for people who have run out of sick pay, they can opt to use holidays so they have regular money coming in. This should always be an option but it's to support the colleague and should be discussed and decided upon after a conversation of available options.

horatiocain

If you are taking time off because you have covid you're actually sick  so the sickness policy is applied.
However if you're self isolating because you have symptoms or have been contacted via track and trace then the holiday stands under policy, its absurd but unfortunately its the position the company have taken.

Scruff

a colleague of mine is off with Covid, but they've caught the virus just before being on holiday, so will they get the holidays back? or at least the days they were on holiday while having to isolate?

oldfashionedplayer

Before holiday and reported yes, during no, so make sure thry give the notice 😁

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk