News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:41PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 434
Total: 436

Reasonable Adjustments

Started by Zoomer999, 20-06-21, 03:55AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoomer999

I'm asking this for a colleague who recently returned from sick, due to the reason for being sick they require adjustments to be made but after making this clear to 3 managers over a week later they still haven't been sat down to start the process, curious to know if there is a timeframe for this to be done.

horatiocain

They need to engage OH services  use their recommendations in addition to whatever you or the colleague are asking for.
It's a painfully slow process in Tesco, largely because management consist of people with no common sense or ability to think for themselves, or as the rest of society refers to it, a distinct lack of managerial capability.

Welshie

Quote from: Zoomer999 on 20-06-21, 03:55AM
I'm asking this for a colleague who recently returned from sick, due to the reason for being sick they require adjustments to be made but after making this clear to 3 managers over a week later they still haven't been sat down to start the process, curious to know if there is a time frame for this to be done.

Unfortunately it depends on the adjustments, if it's lighter duties for a short period of time then that should happen immediately but if it's something specific and needs OH then it can be a lot longer.  I think policy is a "reasonable " time frame but reasonable to Tesco and reasonable to someone struggling in work every day are very different.

Redshoes

A return to work plan is for a 3-4 week period. A OH recommendation could be a permanent move or adjustment. A solution needs to be looked for but a job can't be created.
A RTW plan can be put in place before someone comes back to work. That is mostly what happens in the store I work in. As the colleague is ready to come back this is all planned out and agreed with the colleague so they are supported for the first shift back. This takes stress off people coming back as they know what they are coming back too. Phone calls or meeting to arrange this are done during a colleagues contracted hours unless they request a different time.
An OH referral is much quicker now. Depending on the length of absence this can also be done for colleague coming back.
If a colleague refuses this it has to be left until colleague comes back but if a move or change in job role is requested it can only be a quick fix until something better can be arranged. If it's just reduced hours to start back with that can be sorted easily.

Cyberchimp

What happens if a manager makes a request for OH without the colleagues consent? Are they allowed to do that?

Baba_G

For me i was told that i should have requested . Is not the managers position to make an OH request without your specific request . That would be abuse and sharing medical details without your consent

Cyberchimp

I quite agree, I just wondered what to actually do about it? First I knew was an email from OH I hadn't even had my AR just welcome back

Baba_G

Refuse it . Just reply that you have not requested an OH meeting and the manager is breaching your privacy

Cyberchimp

Is it a breach of the Data policy? If they are sharing personal and sensitive personal data without consent? Or are Tesco allowed to do that as it's with a partner company? Any help much appreciated.

Batmanjo

Quote from: Cyberchimp on 24-06-21, 10:50AM
Is it a breach of the Data policy? If they are sharing personal and sensitive personal data without consent? Or are Tesco allowed to do that as it's with a partner company? Any help much appreciated.

They can request OH for you but should not be giving specific medical data, however they are allowed to ask certain questions through OH, what happens next is up to you, you can speak to OH and let them know what the situation is then it is very important that you receive a copy of the report first if you don't agree with anything in the report you can have it removed or if they don't wish to remove it you can refuse the company a copy it is your choice if they get a copy. They seem to want to use OH to help them push people out of the business rarely to retain staff I can say as I have been through this OH all I can say is be prepared for the questions the company are directing at you, ask your manager the reason why they wish you to go through OH this will give you a heads up to what they are after hope this helps.

horatiocain

They can discuss the case with OH freely, but for a full OH report they need your permission because they will need to talk with you as the colleague.
As long as they haven't breached your expectation of privacy then there's no issue, for example if they spoke about a person who has hypertension and blackouts that doesn't breach privacy as its not you, but rather your conditions, using generic conditions for effect.

However people keep parroting something I heard from Tesco managers, that they can't make a job, this is true, but the person already has a job, its about changing people duties.
There's a misconception that Tesco can't make a bespoke role for a colleague, they can, they do and they will do again, that's what the law requires of them.
Reasonable adjustments, they are generally permanent and alter anything from the working hours, the working equipment or the working duties.
Any GA can have their duties changed, and they can make others change to facilitate this, reps need to up their game and argue for their members rather than sitting there spouting the same c**p managers keep saying.

It's not creating a job.
They already have the job.
It's adjusting their duties.
Read Tescos own policy documents.

Cyberchimp

Thanks for the help and advice guys

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk