News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:33PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,121
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonF12003

At my store at one point they used to swap the managers round every few years, giving them new departments, rememner when I was on Grocery and we got the ex-PID manager

Redshoes

Quote from: NightAndDay on 09-05-21, 08:25AM
You forgot to mention the reduction in number of lead and team manager positions with the introduction of Shift Leader positions in the superstore formats.

There is no loss of jobs. The shift leader jobs do not come into stores until the manager head count has reduced but it is another change to job roles and titles to add to the list, but as it is so far off for some stores I did not mention it as there could be another change to structure before it ever lands.

Eskimo 2

Quote from: SimonF12003 on 10-05-21, 07:43PM
At my store at one point they used to swap the managers round every few years, giving them new departments, rememner when I was on Grocery and we got the ex-PID manager
Haha  they've done that in my shop. Totally ruined the store. It bemuses me as to why a store manager would do that to himself when the store has got a major refit coming up

penguin

Not always down to the store manager, sometimes the order to move people around comes from higher up, would take a brave SM to refuse to carry out the orders of an SD or higher.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

beentheredoneit

Had meeting with SM this week. HO script said 99% of affected colleagues have agreed to the changes (seems high to me).
Had to give reasons why I was not accepting change (will be passed up).
Was told the company can contractually change whether I agreed or not - this I find questionable because:
1/ if they could, why even bother consulting
2/ other companies (JS?) are doing similar changes and paying refundancy.
3/ USDAW are not commital
If there is anyone here who is fluent on employment law, please post.
looks like a visit to an employment solicitor is next step ....
beentheredoneit

Goldielocks

Being told the same , most people have agreed I have heard only 2 people on my group not accepting the roll. Most people are in fear of there jobs and do not wish to rock the boat and the vindictive nature that is within Tesco now. On speaking to a few store managers they don't believe the changes are minor either however won't speak up due to what will happen to them going forward. Also the people that are rolling out the changes have probably never even done the job.

Redshoes

So i assume that when stock control, bakery, PFS, team support etc went through the change you stood behind them and supported them in the fight to stay in role as it it and were not a manager delivering the consultations.

dirty-donkey

Redshoes - Well said Sir! 
Never ceases to amaze who comes out of the woodwork when it is them, and only them affected.
Never offer anything constructive at any other time - Just don't care.
I don't often agree with your posts, Redshoes, but at least you have the decency to contribute, offer your knowledge and viewpoint.
Respect!

Morris999

My opinion of the Team Manager change, is that it will actually make the role easier, more consistent but more importantly fairer for Team Managers.

However what this structure change has highlighted is the divide amongst Team Managers.
After speaking to Colleagues in previous and local stores there is a running theme that is playing out in my store.
Those managers who have a high headcount (eg Checkouts etc) gladly excepted the change and were happy enough to take on the new role(a little disappointed that no redundancy was offered).
Those managers with a small headcount (eg Produce etc) are not happy in the slightest, were the most vocal against it and in my experience are the ones refusing to accept the new role!

Then the update came down that the colleague headcount wouldnt be split until further down the line, now rumour has it this came about due to the Fresh Teams at HO kicking  off about it and started to produce doomsday figures about what would happen to Fresh waste, sales etc over the summer if there Team managers suddenly had to take there fair share of each store colleagues headcount!

Now I'm taking that rumour with a pinch of salt, however with Produce being seen in the recent past as being the Hero department and was never to be touched and the current high focus on Fresh as a whole it would not surprise me if any of it was true.

What I do know and have highlighted in the past is the huge difference in workload from one department Team Manager to the next.
In my opinion a Produce Team manager on £30k+ managing 5 colleagues is hardly right when you have a Checkout Team manager on £23k managing 60+ colleagues across checkouts, CSD, PFS, trollies and cash office.
Now don't get me wrong I'm not against performance related pay, and before anyone says anything I'm Not a Checkout manager, but something has to change when the company has a very high turnover of Checkout Team managers compared to other Team manager roles.

NightAndDay

Any Team Manager on 30k plus would be on the cusp of going to Express as a cat 3 SM on 36k a year, don't know any TMs on more than 30k a year except night managers and maybe Extra TMs in London.

23k a year for checkout TMs is almost the same as Shift Leader wages (when factoring in Sunday and bank holiday premiums) and would be very junior.

beentheredoneit

Quote from: Redshoes on 13-05-21, 07:56AM
So i assume that when stock control, bakery, PFS, team support etc went through the change you stood behind them and supported them in the fight to stay in role as it it and were not a manager delivering the consultations.
dunno if comment aimed at me - I am still a stock manager - been stuck for over 2 years and not just going to accept new role and forget the 2 years i have gone through. Have personally been supporting others.
By the way, I am in superstore on £32k - length of service helps (and at one time express manager)
beentheredoneit

wacko2021

JS done the restructure in 2018, my friend works there.

They only now have SM then CTMs running stores I believe at different grades

Morris999

Quote from: NightAndDay on 13-05-21, 01:19PM
Any Team Manager on 30k plus would be on the cusp of going to Express as a cat 3 SM on 36k a year, don't know any TMs on more than 30k a year except night managers and maybe Extra TMs in London.

23k a year for checkout TMs is almost the same as Shift Leader wages (when factoring in Sunday and bank holiday premiums) and would be very junior.

Express SM is equivalent of Lead Team in Large Format stores, so Team Managers will not be moving into that role regardless of how much they earn unless they go through the internal recruitment process and pass it.

Just because you do not know or are aware of any Day Team managers on £30K+ per year doesn't mean there aren't any.
I'm personally aware of at least 20 Team Managers who are on over £30k or will be if this years and for some next years pay reviews go there way.
Any Team Managers who moved from the old Section Manager role too Line Manager then the current Team Manager role and received Green/Met every year will either be hitting that amount already or will do this year or next.
You'll also need to remember that Compliance and Stock control managers were starting on around £23-24k back in 2004/5.
Ands that's before you add in the extra grand that was given on top of that amount for being appointed in an Extra store initially over Superstores, before the company dropped it.
Every year Line managers received a pay rise up to about 2015 when there was a freeze for a couple of years for the higher paid ones, and they were 2/3 or even 4% some years.
Then you will need to factor in a lot of Line managers negotiated a pay rise when they moved stores too over the early years of the Line Manager structure.

I'll never forget a Lead manager we had on a placement a few years ago, who after signing off wages on a Friday went home crying and gave up doing it once they realised what every Team manager was on in my store compared to them, and compared to the starting rate for Lead Team in my store.

Yes £23k is just over starting rate for Team Managers and will only be paid to a junior manager as you've put it, however that still doesn't take away from the point I was making about the disparity in workload for different Team managers especially when certain Team Manager roles not only have a high turnover but are hard to recruit for.

Aunt sally

I think everyone here is forgetting that yes its a job name change that there is no changes to their pay, spare a thought for the real losers here the t/l's who in my humble opinion are the back bone of the affected departments   

whatajoke2019

I was talking to a colleague who has applied for a CTM at Sainsbury's and the salary starts at £23,000.

Panda29

Any structure changes that affects managers or team support  will go to formal meetings over the next couple weeks. To avoid redundancy they offer you alternate stores and roles even if not suitable. If you refuse this they will take u through a process and manage you out the business.

NightAndDay

Quote from: wacko2021 on 13-05-21, 04:52PM
JS done the restructure in 2018, my friend works there.

They only now have SM then CTMs running stores I believe at different grades

That's right, they're graded from 1S to 6S, 6S would be equivalent to a 36k a year TM in an Extra, 1S would be a shift leader in a cat 1/2 Express.

DairyLee

JS bandings to compare against:
2S - 9.20 per hour
3S 23 - 27k - Tesco shift leader equivilant, usually in convenience stores or smaller superstores
4S 25 - 38k - Line managers in superstores or Old Cat1/2 store manager in convienence
5S 38 - 50k - Lead team in superstores or Cat 3+ SM
6S 50 - 100k - Superstore (350k+) SM or Convienence area managers

NightAndDay

Non-CTM GA's are on Sainsbury's floor wages of £9.30 an hour soon to be £9.50 an hour, entry level CTMs start on 22-23k a year.

trivi

The changes have beeen pointless in my store. Team managers still department based and have all admitted they don't care about other areas. Team support had no training for their extra tasks and don't know if they're comin or going with what they're expected to do

BarryZola

All in all a pretty pointless exercise again no doubt dreamed up by someone being paid a lot of money. A structure change which is not even a structure change. Brilliant work.

Almost as good as other recent classic structure changes such as...

Stock control: Let's pay hundreds of thousands or maybe even into 7 figures to make some of the most experienced and clued up employees in the company redundant. Do it on the pretence that lots of routines will be cut so the company won't need the staff any more. What happens? A couple of years later the amount of routines has increased and I see more stock control staff around. However, they're inexperienced, part-time and many don't really care if things get counted properly or not.

Bakery: Again, let's p**s hundred's of thousands of pounds up the wall to get rid of experienced bakers on the pretence of reducing the range and getting more stuff in pre-made etc. What happens? Yes, you've guessed it. A year on and I see no reduction in range and they've recruited more bakers to replace the ones who they got rid of.

I bet the absolute geniuses who dream these schemes up are still in a job and laughing all the way to the bank. This is Tesco.

Omg1

Had a few meetings now and pointless .  My manger is not interested and tells me he has to do them as the area manager is putting pressure on him . Work in Staffordshire area and don't want to move stores rather have redundancy but I'm told not an option and I'll be forced to move. The area manager ask questions when she in in but doesn't want to listen to your replies very dismissive . It's ok for these people as they have detached themselves from people and have no empathy or conscious about the decisions as it's not them effected . Nothing changes as far as I can see and jobs will be found for all the yes men and women that the area manager likes .
I hope I get redundancy as this company has gone from bad to worse with the leadership above managers now so distanced from reality. Come back and run a shop and she if you can do it all you area managers !

NightAndDay

If the distance of the store they want you to move to is further away, it can be deemed not a suitable alternative, they can't force you to move, there has to be a formal consultation process to which you can refuse the move, as long as it's further and along with any other ways you can see the change being seen as unreasonable, they can't dismiss you for refusal as it will likely be considered unfair and the payout would be more than the redundancy.

whatajoke2019

Quote from: triviup on 16-05-21, 02:11PM
The changes have beeen pointless in my store. Team managers still department based and have all admitted they don't care about other areas. Team support had no training for their extra tasks and don't know if they're comin or going with what they're expected to do

Haven't really had the chance to speak to the Team Supports in my store but in terms of Team Managers? I'd have enough money to make all of us redundant when I hear: "not my department!"  :D

alewis

Quote from: Goldielocks on 07-05-21, 12:04PM
Have they said what happens if you don't sign
Someone in my store hasn't signed and he has had to step down from dotcom team support.
Meanwhile 3 people who have no idea about dot com have "taken over".
It's a complete shambles
The guy that has stepped down was there when our dotcom department opened and he's being treated like a piece of s***. The reason he didn't want to sign was that he didn't want to change his hours, yet he was the only mug who wanted to do the 4am starts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk