News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:10PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colleague 3000000

It is time to consider strike action.

londoner83

But you can't legally strike. Usdaw have a no strike agreement so won't call one and if you walk out without  union backing you have little or no protection.

beentheredoneit

Apparently redundancy no longer offered due to:
Alot of colleagues - esp management - getting decent package and then rejoining 6 months later.
Loss of experience / knowledge in business (alot of knowledge no longer required)
Cost to company (doubtful - proposed changes will cost more until all roles as per plan)
beentheredoneit

Davethebave

Redundancy hasn't been offered so Tesco can save some face in the media.

"Yeah we are changing our structure, but look, we haven't made anyone redundant during the pandemic"

Natural wastage will take far too long. Even if they try and manage managers via SYP, it will still take years to do. They must have something else in the back pocket

BarryZola

They could start by not giving managers a bonus (whilst GA's don't get one). Less reason for them to stick around then.

Colleague 3000000

I earned over £2000 this month from Tesco.

They have stabbed me in the back so many times. I have had more severe let's talks then anyone I know.

I'm constantly taking photos of what I do. I always have an excuse ready.

I will never get a promotion.

Do you know how much work you have to do at £9.30 an hour to get £2000?

Morris999

As you are clearly affected by this, then that makes you at least a checkout team support so you are on more than £9.30 an hour!
I think checkout TS are on about £11.16.
If you are a dot com driver team support then you are on even more, and that's before we get to manager pay!

So to earn £2000 all it takes is 8.5 hour paid each week over full time hours checkout team support rate to hit it.
Not a lot extra really is it.
Now if it's £2000 after all tax deductions then you will be breaking the working time directive, and as people will point out on here, more fool you.

Now if your a dot com TS or Team manager then it's even easier to hit the £2000 mark legally.

lackofinterest

it will affect us all in the long run if they are allowed to get away with this. this is only the start. they're taking the p**s and with no union backing it will only get worse for everyone. i'm a g.a and i would join a strike if there was one

forrestgimp

Quote from: Colleague 3000000 on 07-03-21, 08:18AM
I earned over £2000 this month from Tesco.

They have stabbed me in the back so many times. I have had more severe let's talks then anyone I know.

I'm constantly taking photos of what I do. I always have an excuse ready.

I will never get a promotion.

Do you know how much work you have to do at £9.30 an hour to get £2000?

Yep a guy I know gets the same and he is part time. He is one of the hardest workers I know although me makes out he doesnt give a chuff however he works from minute one to the last minute every time. He is not well liked because he doesnt act like managers are gods and doff his cap when he sees them.

I kid you not he was once given a lets talk for saying to the personel manager when she asked how he was 'Im here arent I' apparently he has the wrong attitude.

In this company licking posteria is more important than working.

Welshie

Earning £2000  a month in Tesco just means you've been there a lot . It doesn't necessarily mean that you've done a lot of work . Most of the people I know that do a lot of hours spend more time standing around moaning about the overtime they're doing and how tired they are to anyone that will listen .

Ahsda

Quote from: Colleague 3000000 on 06-03-21, 11:29PM
It is time to consider strike action.

Give it up, you can't strike. This is at least the 5th post I've seen you shouting for this nonsense. We get it, you're bitter but so are 99% of the folk on here, that's why we're here but we're not calling for nonsense that's never going to happen.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Morris999 on 07-03-21, 08:40AM
As you are clearly affected by this, then that makes you at least a checkout team support so you are on more than £9.30 an hour!
I think checkout TS are on about £11.16.
If you are a dot com driver team support then you are on even more, and that's before we get to manager pay!

So to earn £2000 all it takes is 8.5 hour paid each week over full time hours checkout team support rate to hit it.
Not a lot extra really is it.
Now if it's £2000 after all tax deductions then you will be breaking the working time directive, and as people will point out on here, more fool you.

Now if your a dot com TS or Team manager then it's even easier to hit the £2000 mark legally.

If we assume he means gross amount (before deductions)

In the very unlikely scenario he is a contracted full time ca (36.5 hours a week), £9.30 x 36.5 = £339.45, £339.45 x 4 = £1,357.80 so he would need to earn £642.20 in 4 weeks from overtime, if we divide £642.20 by 4 that's £160.55, if we divide £160.55 by £9.30 that is 17.26 hours overtime required every week to hit £2,000 every 4 weeks before deductions.

17.26 + 36.5 hours = 53.76 hours a week

When we were in the EU, the working time directive states that no employee can be forced to work beyond 48 hours a week unless they signed a contract to opt out of such arrangements. I think the case is similar now in post Brexit Britain.

I look at my situation and feel bad that this is even a possibility, Tesco works a lot of you so hard for such little money.

Wirey2020

On 11th April we have to sign a contract which changes our job title to a generic one...another words, from 12th April you can be moved from managing stock control to checkout and vica virsa!!

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: BarryZola on 07-03-21, 07:29AM
They could start by not giving managers a bonus (whilst GA's don't get one). Less reason for them to stick around then.

"Less" but still plenty of reason for them to stick around even without bonus. No other retailer would give them same/more money for what they do. Once you reach TM as someone else said the retention rate improves. Not like the GA population where people stop doing overtime and start dropping contract hours ASAP.

NightAndDay

The ca rate and perks is not competive, at least not as it used to be, there was a time when Tesco was top dog for pay and perks but now it's middling, they've realised that retention for the bottom rung jobs is inconsequential as they can just replace with ease.

Managers are similar, however the dynamics are different, though managers are easily replaced, people tend to remain in those positions because of it's relatively good salary for the requirements. Natural wastage is a much more drawn out process for managers than hourly paid workers.

The compensation for managers is comparable to the competitors untill you get to Express SM+, then Tesco takes the lead in terms of salary for workload.

siuuu

Currently a shift leader in express and on options to be a manager in superstore or extra. Is there really any point now? Managers who leave are going to be replaced with shift leaders so there'll be no more managerial vacancies for the foreseeable?

DHardy

Options and progression now pointless, we haven't appointed anyone in our shop for 3 years due to still trying to catch up from the displacements and moves over the past few years. We got around it by making people shift leaders in express, but now they are making shift leaders in extras/superstores that will also be alot trickier. Options/progression all pointless until stores are down to the new structure and there are no excess managers - therfore we will start creating managers again to ensure we stay around the level needed and have a few future prospects in the  pipeline. That'll be ages off till we do that again tho cos we will be ridiculously manager heavy if we are waiting for "natural wastage" for years..

Goldielocks

The only way we get through this is to stand together and say that the changes are not minor changes and as said by someone before there minor as they don't affect them. If store managers were brave enough they would say that these were not minor changes as well.

NightAndDay

The reduction in manager roles means fewer opportunities to progress, it's only going to get worse, I really hope managers will now stop saying "It will be good for your development." To options candidates, It's not fair to string peoole along like that, especially now there's fewer roles to progress to.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Mcmac on 07-03-21, 04:26PM
Currently a shift leader in express and on options to be a manager in superstore or extra. Is there really any point now? Managers who leave are going to be replaced with shift leaders so there'll be no more managerial vacancies for the foreseeable?

You're best off going through the Express SM route, Team Manager roles are now going to be even more limited with scope of progression more restricted.

dotnochance

What's this about new contracts on 11th April? Is that for staff or managers?

Wirey2020

Quote from: Wirey2020 on 07-03-21, 12:43PM
On 11th April we have to sign a contract which changes our job title to a generic one...another words, from 12th April you can be moved from managing stock control to checkout and vica virsa!!

Sorry, should've been more specific...mew contracts for managers, moving them from 'department' managers to a title of team managers.

Cinderella

Quote from: forrestgimp on 06-03-21, 10:28PM
Quote from: Stubbo on 06-03-21, 08:29PM
Are team support getting pay cut?

Team support wont exist and those doing the job will be put onto CA wage yet still expected to do the job.

I've seen this mentioned a few times here, but in my store they haven't said this. They've basically said to move to the new Service Support (or whatever it is called) role, or go back to a checkout, with the associated pay cut. They've also made it extremely clear that there is no work-life balance with the new role. I was actually told that if I want a family life I shouldn't accept!

I don't want to go back to checkouts, as my last job was a faster pace, so it's too slow and not very engaging for me. But I'm at an age where I need to start getting a work-life balance, or I might as well get married to Tesco!

Stubbo

Were you offered pay protection or a buyout to drop to checkouts?

Cinderella

Yes, they have mentioned both and apparently I have to choose which option I would prefer, if I don't take the new role. The lack of work-life balance I already have is making me think I should turn it down, but I do want to do more than just serving customers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk