Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:50AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 282
Total: 287

All holidays to be put in by April

Started by Vinny1985, 17-02-21, 11:32PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redshoes

It’s advised to book some full weeks. We all need time out, a couple of days is not always a big enough break  We also need to consider others we work with, as some areas only allow one person off at a time and it would be unfair to take excessive weekends that prevents others from getting them.

londoner83

Welshie - no idea about what the future will bring - however if you were running a business would you really want to be paying X a full day's wage for a hospital appointment that could well actually only last 30 minutes?

Although having said that I think Tesco would need to think carefully before changing the rules in every case. I cant imagine the firm getting good publicity if after booking 2 hours off to attend hospital X is expected to attend for the rest of their shift after being told they have cancer etc.....

NightAndDay

30 minutes in a 9 hour day is all the production time some of these managers contribute, perhaps even less among the head office wonks.

Curious watcher

Quote from: Vinny1985 on 17-02-21, 11:32PM
Hi I was just told today we need to put every holiday in today. I asked if I could keep some back. I was told no. I thought you had to put in a percentage. I don't know if I need odd day off for things what come up. I normally keep a few days back. We were told it had something to do with pay roll.

That’s what emergency holidays are for

uklions

we were told at least 75% need to be booked

ocredex

Hi, I was told by my line manager that all my holidays have to be in week blocks and that I am not able to book individual days for long weekends or any other reason. I have been with the company for 9 years and have never been told this before.  Is this policy as I believe it says in the holiday policy colleagues "should" try and book most of their holidays in block weeks but does not say the have to.

My manager is adamant that I can only book in block weeks and has refused my holiday request for my 21/22 holidays because of it.

NightAndDay

Your manager is speaking rubbish, show him the policy, if he's still difficult involve people partner.

ocredex

Sorry NightAndDay not sure if your comment was in realtion to the one I made, but if it was then who is people partner and what exactly do they do. I have enlisted the help of a rep to find out where I exactly stand but apart from that I am not sure what else I can do.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

NightAndDay

The people partner is your stores "HR Manager" (And I use the term loosely) they are in most cases not to be trusted, but in cases like yours where policy on holidays is clearly stipulated on Our Tesco, provided there is no business case for them to refuse your holiday, they have no reason to not allow non-blocked bookings, it's a preference that they want blocked bookings not an order.

Rad

@ocredex remember Tesco update their policies constantly, anyone who is continually giving advice and left Tesco ages ago should maybe put a disclaimer on their posts saying their words may not be gospel.

Policy says most of your holiday should be taken in full weeks then the odd days agreed by your manager.

This was in the feb 2020 policy.

I think thats pretty clear and is probably what your manager is getting at.  Not sure how it can be argued otherwise.

It wont say 'must' instead of 'should' to allow flexibility.

I guess if you book more than half of your holidays in full weeks and request the odd days then you will get it approved.

NightAndDay

I make no pretense of knowing what policy is, just based off what the OP has already explained i.e "I believe..." I am but a person who's quite clued up on employment law and the lack of personal integrity of a sizable minority of Tesco's managers.

I trust the OP's reading comprehension to be sufficient to deduce whether he is being diddled by the manager in question, I'm just elucidating the fact that if they can pull the wool over his/hers eyes, they will.

Welshie

@ocredex , surely if you've worked for Tesco for nine years then you could show previous holidays taken to prove your point . Most managers will be quite accommodating UNLESS you are trying to book all weekends or mostly odd days as that can prevent others getting full weeks .

Redshoes

Some of your holidays should be whole weeks. It supports you as gives you block days out the business. It also helps others fit their holidays in. If you only book weekends off it can mean that others that work with you are struggling to fit their holidays in. It's a matter of balance. We don't know how many people you have to compete with regarding holidays but the whole picture needs to be looked at. It could be that others have complained and trying to cover your weekends off has just become so hard. There is also something about Sundays. You only mention weekends but if a Sunday is included in this there is an expectation that you a reasonable amount due to the way the premium is paid.
When we move to work&pay you will be booking time off by the hour. We have had a lot of big changes put in place in the wages system.

taliahad

Why are holidays such a nightmare at this company?  It's that time again when we can start booking holidays for 2022/23, unbelievable isn't it?  Our PFS team got a message from our manager saying that we could book holidays from April 1 and it's granted on a first come first served basis.  So another colleague and myself will be waiting to pounce on our manager when she turns up for work on Thursday because we both want the same week or two off.  It's such a nightmare, there are eleven of us in the PFS, too many to spread over the summer months and give everyone a fair chance of a fair break.  Our manager will not have two people off on the same day, sometime she won't let two people off in the same week.  I do not know what the official policy is but believe me, the holiday issue in our place causes a great deal of anger.  I think after the couple of years we've had, Tesco could be more lenient with holidays and after all, how can we know what we want so far in advance, we can't book flights and so much can and does change.  It all seems so unreasonable to me, I've decided to do all I can to get my dates in early, if it's not granted, I'll offer to have the time unpaid and do shift swaps, but I'm having what I want and that will be that.   

gomezz

Quote from: Redshoes on 24-03-21, 08:24AMIf you only book weekends off it can mean that others that work with you are struggling to fit their holidays in.
But if your work shifts are clustered round the weekend then it makes perfect sense to book a weekend of as a block even though that is split over two calendar weeks.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Redshoes

Yes, I agree but that was not what was said. If you work sat/sun and then wed/thurs I get that sat sun gives a a bock few days off but if you book wed/thurs too it gives a longer spell. I once had Tuesday off and I loved it. When we had bh I got sun/mon/tues off. I worked less by then.

grim up north

Quote from: Redshoes on 24-03-21, 08:24AM
Some of your holidays should be whole weeks. It supports you as gives you block days out the business. It also helps others fit their holidays in. If you only book weekends off it can mean that others that work with you are struggling to fit their holidays in. It's a matter of balance. We don't know how many people you have to compete with regarding holidays but the whole picture needs to be looked at. It could be that others have complained and trying to cover your weekends off has just become so hard. There is also something about Sundays. You only mention weekends but if a Sunday is included in this there is an expectation that you a reasonable amount due to the way the premium is paid.
When we move to work&pay you will be booking time off by the hour. We have had a lot of big changes put in place in the wages system.

Why are we being asked to book time off by the hour if they want to you to book whole weeks?

Welshie

Quote from: gomezz on 24-03-21, 08:42PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 24-03-21, 08:24AMIf you only book weekends off it can mean that others that work with you are struggling to fit their holidays in.
But if your work shifts are clustered round the weekend then it makes perfect sense to book a weekend of as a block even though that is split over two calendar weeks.

It also leaves less weeks for other  colleagues to book their holidays . If you have 6 weeks holiday allocation and booked them all like that , it would take 12 full weeks out of holiday diary for someone else .

Rad

Quote from: grim up north on 25-03-21, 12:34PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 24-03-21, 08:24AM

Why are we being asked to book time off by the hour if they want to you to book whole weeks?

Because payroll will eventually be managed by hours rather than cash value across the whole estate. We will be able to request part of our shift off rather than a whole shift if eg, you only needed time off for a couple of hours. 

Stores would then receive an allowed hours based on how many hours are out of the business.  This is why holiday booking is so important this year, especially in convenience as there will not be any money to pay for stores if managers have allowed multiple people off at the same time.

gomezz

Quote from: Welshie on 25-03-21, 01:52PM
Quote from: gomezz on 24-03-21, 08:42PM

It also leaves less weeks for other  colleagues to book their holidays . If you have 6 weeks holiday allocation and booked them all like that , it would take 12 full weeks out of holiday diary for someone else .
Why should someone else's arrangements for their holidays take priority just because they system is borked and / or they were too late getting their request in?  People who prefer to take their holidays as long weekends should not be discriminated against.

Welshie

Why should others loose out on holidays because someone doesn't want to work weekends , it's ok to book the odd weekend off but policy is most should be booked in full weeks . Which is what OP was asking about

gomezz

Others won't lose out on the holidays they want if they don't delay putting there request in.  It may come as a surprise but many people organise their social life around long weekends (festivals, sports events, retreats etc) and are just as deserving of having their needs met as others.

alf

I think people enjoy being obtuse, for the sake of being obtuse.

Nomad

Holidays are given to allow one to relax and recharge to prevent 'burn out'.

There are many ways people like to R&R,  e.g. a week in the sun on a beach perhaps or weekends attending an event of their interest.  No one group should suffer detriment because of the others preference.  No one group is right or wrong in their preference.

A company should have enough guile and resources to plan for all parties.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

Quote from: alf on 26-03-21, 12:00PM
I think people enjoy being obtuse, for the sake of being obtuse.

Humans spend most of their lives between 90 and 180 degrees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk