News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:29PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 272
Total: 274

Moving hours

Started by Vinny1985, 13-08-21, 05:08PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny1985

Hi I have a member of staff who is being asked to move her hours. I been on ourtesco to try and find the information as I am sure I have found it before. But I can't seem to find it. Searching on our tesco is rubbish. Could some one point me in the right direction

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Vinny1985

Thank you for the reply. Great help. I just wanted to know if you have the info on what is classed as unreasonable reasons for not moving someone. I found the info on our tesco before. It has a chart what a manager has to follow.

The female colleague can work every day apart from a Thursdays, she has her Child. She is divorced and has no cover.  Her avaliblity form has only a Thursday down as unable to work. There are other staff who have Thursdays down on the avaliblity forms but none of them have been asked to move, Any advice would be Amazing

Redshoes

Quote from: Vinny1985 on 18-08-21, 07:47AM
Thank you for the reply. Great help. I just wanted to know if you have the info on what is classed as unreasonable reasons for not moving someone. I found the info on our tesco before. It has a chart what a manager has to follow.

The female colleague can work every day apart from a Thursdays, she has her Child. She is divorced and has no cover.  Her avaliblity form has only a Thursday down as unable to work. There are other staff who have Thursdays down on the avaliblity forms but none of them have been asked to move, Any advice would be Amazing

If unavailable for those hours she should not be targeted. If it's a structure change for a dept it involves everyone. If it's just to change hours of one colleague it needs to be fair and should not be just her unless she has requested a change to hours or move of dept. What can't happen, is someone get her old hours.
Everything is online, there is a whole pack on moving hours and what can and can't be done.

Nomad

If you put "unreasonable" into the VLH search option you will get a list of all the topics that have touched on the issue.

For me the answer has always been that if due to the employee's circumstances they honestly believe the change unreasonable, then it is unreasonable.

Causes maybe travel/transport distance, cost, time or availability; child care issues, family/social life, caring responsibilities  etc.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lackofinterest

exactly. if it disrupts your personal life then it is unreasonable!!

forrestgimp

I dont think its quite as cut and dried as that.

chris9997

If you are asked to change hours/ days you should be mindful of what happened in our store in that the member of staff worked Monday to Friday the  MM tried a RHRP of Tuesday to Saturday staff member said can do this do to commitments went to union at first supported her but when it was brought to there attention that the staff member did the last 6 Saturdays as overtime they backed down and the staff member had to change there hours.
If the union/company was right or not just be very careful about deviating from core days/ hours.

Nomad

forrestgimp, it rarely is cut & dried.

chris9997, good point well made.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Cinderella

Quote from: Nomad on 13-08-21, 07:37PM
Moving/changing hours/RHRP/Ideal Schedule

May have been minor changes since posted.

This link is no longer working, does anyone have any current information?

I am looking for policies about being scheduled on non contracted days, without consulting or asking if the person is free. Shouldn't we be able to book personal affairs, whether recreational, medical or repairs etc months in advance for our non contracted days off? I am constantly having to cancel everything, due to being unexpectedly scheduled to work. A medical treatment is threatening to discharge me for non attendance, and I'm also being threatened with a court order for access to finish work in my home that I am having to constantly cancel! Apparently on a flexi contract you're on call...

Work-life balance? What's that?

Redshoes

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

You should have two days off a week just for things like this. As a flexi worker you need to have a minimum of 9 hours flexi above your regular contracted shifts. If you don't work Sunday you need to have Sunday as one of your days that you are not flexed up for. Then you can only be flexed one side of your shift, for example if you work 1000-1400 you are flexible 0600-1000 or 1400-1900 but not both. Then if you have appointments etc you just need to say your unavailable.
There has to be a work life balance.
Policy update will be under Work & Pay and then flexible working. There is an app that is coming, it's replacing "my shift", as that does not work. I don't know when it launches but it's not long but it could be that his policy has been taken down pending the app going live. When it does launch your manager will add the overtime shifts into the system, you then select the shifts you want as overtime via the app.

Nomad

@Cinderella, the link you refer to does work but the information is in a section only accessible to VLH Supporters.  It is one of several 'thanks' to them for supporting VLH with a small donation.

Unfortunately VLH has to be paid for, I paid for it for over 8 years.  I now hope members like/use it enough to keep it going via a very small minimum donation of less then 4p a week.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Rad

Quote from: Cinderella on 18-02-22, 12:06AM
Quote from: Nomad on 13-08-21, 07:37PM
Moving/changing hours/RHRP/Ideal Schedule

May have been minor changes since posted.

This link is no longer working, does anyone have any current information?

I am looking for policies about being scheduled on non contracted days, without consulting or asking if the person is free. Shouldn't we be able to book personal affairs, whether recreational, medical or repairs etc months in advance for our non contracted days off? I am constantly having to cancel everything, due to being unexpectedly scheduled to work. A medical treatment is threatening to discharge me for non attendance, and I'm also being threatened with a court order for access to finish work in my home that I am having to constantly cancel! Apparently on a flexi contract you're on call...

Work-life balance? What's that?
Transfer to convenience.   I'm sure flexi contracts are not used in convenience. 

Cinderella

Quote from: Redshoes on 18-02-22, 05:33AM
Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

You should have two days off a week just for things like this. As a flexi worker you need to have a minimum of 9 hours flexi above your regular contracted shifts. If you don't work Sunday you need to have Sunday as one of your days that you are not flexed up for. Then you can only be flexed one side of your shift, for example if you work 1000-1400 you are flexible 0600-1000 or 1400-1900 but not both. Then if you have appointments etc you just need to say your unavailable.
There has to be a work life balance.
Policy update will be under Work & Pay and then flexible working. There is an app that is coming, it's replacing "my shift", as that does not work. I don't know when it launches but it's not long but it could be that his policy has been taken down pending the app going live. When it does launch your manager will add the overtime shifts into the system, you then select the shifts you want as overtime via the app.

I'm not fully sure what a flexi contract means. Does it mean they can change my contracted shifts all over the place without discussion, or that I have to be available for overtime? I've worked for the company for years, and have always just done my contracted shifts. Now I'm being scheduled to work on my two non contracted days, changing my days off, including one of which is not in my given availability. The fact that I have appointments and so on is not being considered at all. Throughout the entirety of my employment, I have never left early for appointments as I have always made sure they are planned on my contracted days off

oldfashionedplayer

Flexi means, you generally are lower contracted hours, but more availability hours, typically the company thinks they can say "okay I need you in tonight / tomorrow, your flexi you can't refuse", this is wrong, only exceptional circumstances can thry give 24 hours, the minimum is 7 days, and you can still refuse, as you should be given atleast 4 weeks notice. There is a page of pay and contract types that explains it but it's difficult to find as the keep bloody moving it 😂, still has to be in your availability window though, which you can. Change at any point by the way... Hence why they should do a 4 weekly availability window with you.

Paupers wage

They do adhere to 4 weekly availability review in our store,  just recently quite a few have reduced there availability hours as many felt it had become an obligation or taken for granted that they would stay on or come in on days off there was no argument hours were cut, staff happy!

Cinderella

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 18-02-22, 03:13PM
Flexi means, you generally are lower contracted hours, but more availability hours, typically the company thinks they can say "okay I need you in tonight / tomorrow, your flexi you can't refuse", this is wrong, only exceptional circumstances can thry give 24 hours, the minimum is 7 days, and you can still refuse, as you should be given atleast 4 weeks notice. There is a page of pay and contract types that explains it but it's difficult to find as the keep bloody moving it 😂, still has to be in your availability window though, which you can. Change at any point by the way... Hence why they should do a 4 weekly availability window with you.

I started off part time, is that why I ended up on a flexi contract? I'm now full time, doing almost 40 hours a week. The union advised me that I can refuse, but my manager insists I can't. The union also advised that it has to be demonstrated why it is specifically me needed, and not someone else who isn't contracted for that day (they're not scheduled on it at all, only me) but the manager won't do that either. I'm having a nightmare trying to sort this. Some appointments just can't be moved and can only be cancelled, so it's really having an adverse impact on my life

FarmerFred

Refuse the hours that are not part of your core hours or are a short notice change and if the manager makes an issue of it ask them to show you the official Tesco policy that supports them... If they can't then they'll struggle to get you on a disciplinary for it. If they keep hassling you then put in a grievance

lucgeo

@Cinderella

If the union are advising you, I take it you're a union member? If that's the case why isn't your rep sitting in a meeting with you and this manager to support you??

I would think that you aren't on a flexi contract...as you're doing almost 40 hours a week, have you looked at your contract to see how many hours you are contracted for, and type of contract.

Your manager cannot just change your days off without giving proper notice, and not at all if you are full time contracted.

Regarding your medical treatment, if there is a medical procedure involved, then you should be paid to attend that appointment, and any recommendations regarding recovery days should also be paid.

My advice to you would be to refuse the changes made, just state you have made plans...end of explanation!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 18-02-22, 03:13PM

Take the flexi contract do overtime once or twice then don't bother. If they hit you with the non flexible breech of contract nonsense just remind them of the one occasion you were prepared to do it. Just keep telling them your too busy. These contracts are the biggest waste of time ever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk