News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 06:48AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,128
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 445
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 423
Total: 424

Can you be contracted to 60 hours

Started by Tazd9t9, 28-07-23, 02:12PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucgeo

Load of bull...tell him of your intent to drop Sundays, you MUST not suffer a detriment because of this!
Plead ignorance and ask him for a 1-2-1 to detail in WRITING what the outcome would be for your remaining Saturday shift if you dropped your Sunday hours?

If you're in the union speak to your rep, as I'm reading the agreement states 7.5 hours before 31st October 22? No strings attached ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

happyharry

My manager has said he doesn't have a problem with me dropping my hours - it's the store manager that's saying not below 12hrs. He also says that the 3 of us have to sign the form agreeing to this change - that is, my manager, the store manager and myself. In all the information I've seen it doesn't mention the store manager getting involved. I am in touch with the union who are adamant there shouldn't be any problem with my request. Waiting to hear what's next.

lucgeo

Ahh that old chestnut..."Charley says!" Which is what managers say when they're trying to bluff, making out it's on direction of the store manager thinking you won't then challenge!

DON'T sign anything without your union rep present, and then the only thing you should be signing firstly is your opt out form! Request one immediately.

Any future discussions regarding this MUST BE witnessed by a colleague or rep.

I'm not able to access the policies as an ex employee, but if you've located the opting out of Sunday working part, does it still mention not suffering a detriment from your request?

lucgeo

Opting out of Sunday working
All shop and betting shop workers can opt out of Sunday working unless Sunday is the only day they have been employed to work on. They can opt out of Sunday working at any time, even if they agreed to it in their contract.

Shop and betting shop workers must:

give their employer 3 months' notice that they want to opt out
continue to work on Sundays during the 3 month notice period if their employer wants them to
An employer who needs staff to work on Sundays must tell them in writing that they can opt out. They must do this within 2 months of the person starting work - if they do not, only 1 month's notice is needed to opt out.

An employee cannot be dismissed or treated unfairly for choosing not to work on Sundays.

Taken from UK Government website.

N*B*...I seem to recall it's the 4 weeks notice required by Tesco, but I'm not 100% so please double check with the union.

happyharry

Thanks for all that information  lucgeo. I'll make sure I have a rep with me if this goes further - has even been suggested that I could plan to retire completely and get reduced working hours (my Sunday off) and get full pay for 6 months. Do you think they want rid of the oldies, not many left now!

lucgeo

Oh...I do hope you get that "suggestion " in writing of taking retirement!!

No one can be told to retire, only on medical grounds! It's blatant age discrimination  :o  :-X

lucgeo

Age is one of the nine protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 making it unlawful for a person to be discriminated against either directly or indirectly because of their age.

Compulsory retirement ages are, prima facie, examples of direct discrimination unless they can be justifie, or fall within the scope of an "occupational requirement" as defined in the Equality Act.

Employers must take care that they do not open themselves up to age discrimination claims, for which compensation is uncapped, meaning that any claim brought against them could be costly in both legal fees and compensation owed to a successful Claimant.

Shazzie58

Hi I am due to retire on 13th October. I believe I need to return my colleague clubcard. Is this still the case if I am entitled to privilege card for life? If so does anyone know how long I wait for this

Elly1519

Shazzie58

If you are eligible for a Colleague Clubcard for Life, you will automatically be sent your Colleague Clubcard for Life when you leave Tesco. Your Colleague Clubcard for Life will hold your remaining Clubcard points accrued at the point you leave Tesco.

Colleague Clubcard for Life holders are not eligible for a second Colleague Clubcard. If you hold a second Colleague Clubcard, this will automatically be cancelled following your final day of employment. A Clubcard will automatically be sent to your second cardholder at the address held on their customer Clubcard account.

Your Colleague Clubcard for Life cannot be transferred into the name of a family member. If the Tesco.com account that you use is in the name of a family member, you will not be able to link your Colleague Clubcard for Life to this account. You will need to register for a Tesco.com account in your name and link it to your Colleague Clubcard for Life by selecting 'I already have a Clubcard and I'd like to link my accounts'.

Only Tesco UK and Tesco Bank colleagues are eligible for a Colleague Clubcard for Life.

happyharry

Quote from: lucgeo on 21-09-23, 10:44AMAge is one of the nine protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 making it unlawful for a person to be discriminated against either directly or indirectly because of their age.

Compulsory retirement ages are, prima facie, examples of direct discrimination unless they can be justifie, or fall within the scope of an "occupational requirement" as defined in the Equality Act.

Employers must take care that they do not open themselves up to age discrimination claims, for which compensation is uncapped, meaning that any claim brought against them could be costly in both legal fees and compensation owed to a successful Claimant.
A quick update.
It's been agreed for me to give up my Sunday and work 1 day under 12hrs. I was told the decision for anyone to drop their hours below 12 is at the discretion of each individual store, although already over retirement age I don't believe they could have stopped me.
My manager said they'd been in contact with head office who wouldn't give a definitive yes or no to my request, only to say it was ultimately the stores decision. I did see the correspondence, and to me it looks like a grey area that hasn't been thought through properly.
I'm happy I've got what I wanted eventually, but think common sense could have sorted this out a lot sooner.

lucgeo

To me it looks like passing the buck   ???

The agreement prior 31 st Oct 22 does not specifically mention any clauses...therefore employment contract prior that date is 7.5 hours minimum! Not at anyone's discretion.

HO knows this, but passing back to store to save face...SM allowing it "on this occasion" to save face.

Glad you've eventually achieved the result you wanted.  :thumbup:

I'm currently a part time shift leader and looking to apply for one day extra bolt on as a 'normal hourly paid colleague'. Tesco help have told me yes but the store manager no.....anyone else came across this? I know we are rota based but shift leaders in my store don't work certain days because of outside jobs!

Sherwoodforest

Surely you can just accept overtime on extra hours marketplace,if you can view extra hours that is,
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Sherwoodforest

But as you put bolt on,do you mean a permanent contracted extra colleague shift?if so that doesnt sound like something do-able as surely you would have 2 different contracts
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Yeah as a bolt on permanent. I had a look at the policy and it does have on it 'our minimum contract is 16 hours per week, this can be a mix of shift/team leader/team support hours and normal hourly paid colleague work. The shift leader rate is separate on the contracts and if the GA shift is updated on frog, the basic rate is paid.

Elly1519

Quote from: 112233 on 14-10-23, 05:56PMI'm currently a part time shift leader and looking to apply for one day extra bolt on as a 'normal hourly paid colleague'. Tesco help have told me yes but the store manager no.....anyone else came across this? I know we are rota based but shift leaders in my store don't work certain days because of outside jobs!
It is do-able but your store manager has probably said no because you are a shift leader. If the extra hours were added to your contract you would still receive shift leader pay for the extra hours. It isn't possible to lower the pay grade on contracted shifts but it is possible on overtime shifts. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk