News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:15PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 278
Total: 284

Holiday argument with manager

Started by taliahad, 20-03-20, 12:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redshoes

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 08-02-21, 10:08PM
OneLogin passwords expire every 90 days and you can't use the previous 24... I can remember Marathon bars just before they were re-branded to Snickers but I'll be damned if I can remember the past 24 passwords...!  :D

You have to send a form off on Comms to request a password reset then it's on User Reports on Desktop (as an Excel file) but it's not fool proof; I've helped two colleagues reset theirs and the 'new' temporary one didn't work.

If you set up your phone number on My Account you can be sent a one time passcode to regain access-that *seems* to work better.

I use a number. Every time I have to rest password I just go up a number. You can have number at beginning or at end, anywhere in fact so can be moved. You also need a character, that can change too. You just need to change one letter, number or character for a new password. It does not have to be the whole thing. If you used letters and as a cap and just went up the alphabet you have 26 passwords.

expressman77

Quote from: Halftone84 on 06-02-21, 10:59PM
No, it was only a shift leader on at the time, so I filled the form in, dated it, and put it on the clipboard on the wall where it couldn't be missed.

In the past so many staff have say they booked holiday and had left form on notice board,
You need to make sure you hand it to the manager personally , stops all confusion  .

jm876546886

Quote from: lucgeo on 20-03-20, 01:34PM
No dept is different, if personal information is on view that shouldn't be, then it's against data protection and Tesco policies. Sealed envelopes are no guarantee, anything data sensitive should be handed to you personally.

You could try the seven day rule, and no holiday planning meeting, but how far do you want to push it?

Tesco doesn't have any care for personal data you find it all over the place.

Cinderella

I also have a holiday argument with my manager. I had holiday booked, and I asked to extend it with unpaid leave as I had a funeral to attend. No one said this wasn't possible. Now I discover that instead of unpaid leave, an important holiday I booked off a year and a half in advance has been cancelled without talking to me, and used on the funeral day instead. I booked it so long ago that I have the signed paperwork to prove it was authorised more than a year ago. Are we not entitled to ask for unpaid leave? My previous manager told me in a wellness meeting that I was able to request unpaid leave, and no one said this was rejected, or discussed any other way of getting leave. I cannot cancel the holiday that is so important that I booked it a year and a half in advance! It feels like everything is an argument when it comes to Tesco.

JJH

You should be entitled to bereavement leave for a funeral. At least that's what I give to my team whenever they have a funeral to attend

oldfashionedplayer

You should be getting bereavement leave 5 days pro rata is what they will pay, however there's no rule of amount of time you can have off, it's just a unpaid after that as they "understand it's a hard time".

Your holiday shouldn't of been cancelled if you wanted to take it, they should of just put you down as bereavement after it and got you to keep in contact.

If you haven't taken the leave yet and it's about to be there then take it as you had it on your form, and raise a complaint either before or after, you can always use the fact that they've done it at a time of great distress to you, manager should be getting a hard book coming down on them for it to be honest as it's reasonable to ask for the bereavement and you've informed your manager properly on that you've already got a holiday so you'd take it afterwards.

lucgeo

Quote from: Cinderella on 10-02-24, 10:07PMI also have a holiday argument with my manager. I had holiday booked, and I asked to extend it with unpaid leave as I had a funeral to attend. No one said this wasn't possible. Now I discover that instead of unpaid leave, an important holiday I booked off a year and a half in advance has been cancelled without talking to me, and used on the funeral day instead. I booked it so long ago that I have the signed paperwork to prove it was authorised more than a year ago. Are we not entitled to ask for unpaid leave? My previous manager told me in a wellness meeting that I was able to request unpaid leave, and no one said this was rejected, or discussed any other way of getting leave. I cannot cancel the holiday that is so important that I booked it a year and a half in advance! It feels like everything is an argument when it comes to Tesco.
You would only be entitled to bereavement leave if the person is a close relative e.g. sibling, parent or grandparent.

Your holiday should not have been cancelled without your knowledge or permission to do so, as it is signed off as holiday and you have the signed document to prove this, it remains the status quo.

The extra day(s) extension, is a separate issue and should have been discussed with you, as to who, what relationship and whether the request was yay or nay. It still comes under the 7 day rule as if a written request whether paid or unpaid is submitted but not replied to in that time it is automatically authorised.

There is no given right to unpaid leave, as this is entirely at the manager's discretion.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Cinderella

Thank you for the information, everyone! I only wanted two days leave - one for the funeral, and one for the memorial I organised afterwards. They weren't family, so not someone Tesco would allow a week off for, but someone I was close to for almost half my life. It has been a significant loss, although Tesco won't recognise it as one. I always book my important days way in advance - I already have 2025 authorised and on the system.

I will use the info you've all given me when I get to speak to my manager. They also moved the hours to a longer shift, so I lost additional hours/a day through that. I only found out by reviewing my holidays online - they haven't spoken to me about this at all. I would have tried to work alternative days or planned something had they spoken to me, but I wasn't given any options. The holiday they cancelled is very important to me.

londoner83

When you speak to your manager stress how close you were to the person who died and what a impact it had on you.

The days of only having bereavement leave when a strict defined set of relatives pass belongs in the past as these days step parents/brothers/sisters/cousins etc have a closer relationship with you and thus are often more important to you than for example, a absent parent you haven't seen in decades.

Tesco should treat you as you expect others to be treated. Should you only get bereavement leave if your absent dad whom you aint had contact from for decades passes or should the company allow you time to grieve if (for example) your mums live-in partner who you have known for 20 years and who helped raise you passes?

Doggiedoodle

I was refused bereavement leave when my brother in law died,he and my sister were 19 years older than me so had been here all through my life. I did explain all this but was told it was only immediate family. ( parents, grandparents and siblings) this was last year so Tesco haven't changed policy on this. I had to resort to getting a sick note from my doctor!

oldfashionedplayer

Definitely wrong of your management doggie, brother in law are classed as allowed but for atleast 10+ years it's been anyone defined as close to you.

Always hate how they treat others but if it happened to them it'd be them off no problem, no issues whatsoever.
QuoteIs bereavement leave limited to immediate family members?

Under normal circumstances we would class immediate family as spouses, partners, parents, in-laws, siblings, children and grandparents, but we understand that not everyone has the same family situation, and therefore bereavement leave will be assessed on a case-by-case basis depending on your individual circumstances.  Discuss the situation with your manager who will always take your personal circumstances into consideration. If you want time off to attend the actual funeral of a friend or relative, then please talk to your manager about it.  Under normal circumstances the time off will be paid, although your manager may ask you to make up the time or change your hours or shift to accommodate it.

Prince of Darkness

Apologies - unable to start a new thread.

What's the Tesco policy on more than two weeks holiday at once? I can not see in in the W&P document above. In our store it is said to be that you can have three weeks off at once every other year. Is this documented anywhere though?

1982dave

Don't see what the issue is if you have enough holidays previously I've been able to do it but now it seems to have changed

oldfashionedplayer

Colleague help have said before on the matter that stores do and can restrict how many people are off at busy periods however there isnt a limit on how long you can have off, there isn't any ban on  holiday from being taken at any time of the year or any specific day, it just becomes more restrictive at busy periods such as Christmas and Easter for amount that are off.

So your store shouldn't be blocking you from having more than 2 weeks or more than 3 or more than 5 etc, if you have 6+ weeks and you want to use them all at once and there's no one else off there's no ground for them to refuse it, it's well within your right to have it off if you do want it.

Doggiedoodle

In my store it has always been said if you want more than 2 weeks holiday you have to write a letter to the store manager requesting what you want and it has to be approved by them. Don't know where this came from but it's been like that over 30 years that I know of.

lucgeo

You'd think there shouldn't be restrictions but there are several reasons as to why they're restricted to 2 weeks.

Apart from the obvious of other colleagues not able to book due to one person having block booked, there's also other reasons to consider. What is the colleague's sickness record, do they have an underlying condition that could be compromised due to less frequent holiday breaks?

Three week requests should be looked at as to if and how it affects the store running, how it affects the colleague with regard less holiday entitlement for their remaining holiday year entitlement. There is a ruling (not Tesco rule, which escapes me for the moment) that employees must have regular time away from the workplace for a set period of time throughout the year?

Then you've got the performance related issue...are colleagues going to be fit for work for the remaining 46 weeks without a break? Is their sickness absence going to increase?

I know that longer breaks have been allowed by stores for colleagues, as in ours who one colleague had the full 6 weeks for a once in a lifetime holiday, it was toward the end of the holiday year, and believe me they were nearly on their knees by the time it was due!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk