News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:21PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 284
Total: 287

Picker performance

Started by Lurker21, 15-01-20, 08:19PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

It would be "an unreasonable change" for somebody with family commitments, i.e. caring responsibilities.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lol its me

Well no I don't think they would be able to change my hours, (well they could after 12 weeks) But I'll just report what they did to everyone else that they  forced though contract changes without consultations or following process. so yeah I'll keep my smug face.
They literally said to everyone your contract has changed from 5-6 sign here, and you don't have a choice so do it.

Emily2010

So our pick rate went up to 198 now. We have to run without stopping to achieve it. If you are stopped by a customer who needs help your pick rate is going down straight away. I find it really hard when the shop floor is busy. Is it possible that trying to do  pickrate like that isn't safe ... especially in pandemic time ,as we have to really push ourselfs while there are customers walking around?

uklions

Need to go back to TRAY LINERS,IM a driver and some customers dont like no bag option

lol its me

Yeah ours went up that high as well, coincidentally the same time they froze all overtime and got rid of a lot of the temps. im just going to refuse to pick at those levels(i have done dotcom for 15 years and never fail pick rate) if they want to make an issue of it ill just ask them to show me the plans that say the pickrate can be picked at those levels, they cant, u get a small trolly, or customer asking for somthing or most importantly trying to pick instore after 11am with the ammount of staff-customers. managers are saying its possible as some people are getting over 200 pick rates, all new starts who dont check dates (was funny, the other day i picked up meat dated a day before, so picked another product, but watched a load of new pickers pick up the out of date meat) and only pick large trollies-chill to get high pick rates, its funny and strange those same new pickers spend half their time talking on shop floor (something funny going on there)

VladPutin

I'd be very impressed if pickers could improve their performance to the point where they could put the trays back how they find them!

Seriously, I spend a considerable percentage of each working day tidying up after pickers who don't leave the trays in good order after digging to the bottom for their precious customers. No matter how many times I ask them to do so, they don't do it.

[gmod]Edited to remove insulting comments.[/gmod]

grim up north

Probably because the pickers and under so much pressure for pick rate that something has to give. And that happens to be putting the trays back

spike_pkh

I passed by 3 pickers the other day on the produce department. I am guessing one had said to another that they had just increased the pick rate I heard the 2nd say they have trouble with the old pick rate so how can they expect them to work any faster. The third then asked the others how their weekends were and they had a nice littler 5min chat about it together.

I think I can see why you are having trouble achieving pick rate  :D

Nomad

Nobody who is paid for x hours work a day does x hours work a day,  nobody !
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

spike_pkh

How much you wanna bet?

VladPutin

Quote from: grim up north on 31-07-21, 09:40AM
Probably because the pickers and under so much pressure for pick rate that something has to give. And that happens to be putting the trays back

And yet they've got time to chat about holidays, friends, show pictures to each other on their phones and, in the case of one young lad and lass, flirt so much I thought I was going to have to chuck a bucket of cold water over them. 8-)

The problem isn't pick rates. It's dot comedy being lazy because they know the fresh GA's will clear up their mess for them.

Jonathan1970

Quote from: spike_pkh on 31-07-21, 11:54AM
I passed by 3 pickers the other day on the produce department. I am guessing one had said to another that they had just increased the pick rate I heard the 2nd say they have trouble with the old pick rate so how can they expect them to work any faster. The third then asked the others how their weekends were and they had a nice littler 5min chat about it together.

Come on get off your high horse, I'd say everyone that works in Tesco has a chat while on duty, and the fresh team in our store are always on breaks way longer than they should, and are never about.

NightAndDay

When I worked at Tesco I was 1 on 1 and the SM said night team don't get breaks or paid Sunday premium,  I did a lot more than I was paid for, but it all resolved in the end, the SM got forced to resign and I got back paid £3k.

lucgeo

Quote from: Jonathan1970 on 08-10-21, 07:40PM
Quote from: spike_pkh on 31-07-21, 11:54AM

Come on get off your high horse, I'd say everyone that works in Tesco has a chat while on duty, and the fresh team in our store are always on breaks way longer than they should, and are never about.

I think "a day in my shoes" is extremely apt here  8-)

I worked a few depts during my lengthy employment with Tesco. I started off on checkouts, it was horrendous! Having to ask to go to the toilet, always timed, never off checkout on time for either break/end of shift. Always told to wait for the relief to arrive, causing friction between the operators if the relief was running behind...that was in my naive days.
I finally managed to transfer to a new position in the office, what an eye opener that was! No constraints, no 1-1 customer contact, the environment was stress free, breaks taken whenever, no being timed either!
I went on stock control when my dept in the office ceased,  and then onto shop floor when they went shoulder 2 shoulder and the office was closed for management use only! Again, though I was on the shop floor, my time was basically my own to prioritise my workload to meet the time window constraints. Take my breaks and toilet breaks to suit myself.

Pickers and checkouts are the worst depts in the store for micro managing ...pickers faring the worse in my opinion! I seriously don't know how they push those heavy dot com trolley's for hours on end every day! For both depts the role is monotonous, shoulders and back complaints are commonplace. But colleagues on checkouts can sit or stand to rest, and chat when not busy, pickers usually do an 8 hour shift, with just one 30 min break midway.
I certainly wouldn't begrudge them a little chat at times, and the fact it's noticed by other colleagues, just shows how time restrictive their role is!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

VladPutin

Most pickers are female and many of them are middle aged or older; the trollies aren't that heavy, or they wouldn't be able to push them around for a whole shift.

And yeah, I do begrudge them standing around talking when I'm trying to move something actually heavy, like a dolly of carrots, and I have to growl at them to get out of the way. 8-)

Mark calloway

In our store dot comedy do like a nice chat and a few mins texting.  Their manager couldn't give a toss though.

lucgeo

Quote from: VladPutin on 10-10-21, 09:32PM
Most pickers are female and many of them are middle aged or older; the trollies aren't that heavy, or they wouldn't be able to push them around for a whole shift.

And yeah, I do begrudge them standing around talking when I'm trying to move something actually heavy, like a dolly of carrots, and I have to growl at them to get out of the way. 8-)

Vlad lad....a supermarket trolley ain't that heavy until you start to fill it  ??? have you ever covered a dot com shift?
Don't you have a chat with anyone on the shop floor or when you go into the warehouse to get your stock?

As you say, most pickers ARE middle aged, or older females, perhaps that's why you get away with growling at them to move  >:(
Do you do the same to older customers who are in your way chatting   ???  And methinks if it was two burly blokes doing the dotcom pick, (as many drivers do at times) that you tried growling at, you'd end up with those carrots shoved where the sun don't shine  :-X

Dogsbody

Was just wondering whether Vladputin has done his inclusivity training yet as I  detect some misogynistic and ageist comments there. I work as a picker,  I'm 64 and female and I can tell you I can work a full shift at speed whilst pushing the trolley which does get heavy, no need for a gym membership.🤣 and no stopping to chat, I chat as I pick.

Hammer10

Have you got the new trollies yet I think we are a trial store they are very heavy when full the wheels are not great either I have seen ladies in tears 😭 because of how difficult they are to push and steer they hold more trays as well.

Dogsbody

Hammer10 just something else to look forward to I suppose :(

gomezz

More trays?  How many more and how does that tally with unloading them six-high onto the dollies?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

VladPutin

Quote from: lucgeo on 11-10-21, 07:56AM
Quote from: VladPutin on 10-10-21, 09:32PM

Vlad lad....a supermarket trolley ain't that heavy until you start to fill it  ??? have you ever covered a dot com shift?
Don't you have a chat with anyone on the shop floor or when you go into the warehouse to get your stock?

As you say, most pickers ARE middle aged, or older females, perhaps that's why you get away with growling at them to move  >:(
Do you do the same to older customers who are in your way chatting   ???  And methinks if it was two burly blokes doing the dotcom pick, (as many drivers do at times) that you tried growling at, you'd end up with those carrots shoved where the sun don't shine  :-X

I'm 6'3, 16 stone and have a face like five miles of bad road. And unlike drivers, I don't spend more than half of my shift sat on my fat backside in a van. So yeah, they're not doing anything with the carrots except sticking them in their trollies.  :D

gomezz

As a driver I don't spend any time sat on my fat backside in the van.  In my case the overloading is more round the front.   ;D
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lucgeo

8-) That you bragging there gomezz  :o  :-[

Jonathan1970

Picker Performance and how its measured is really strange.

Most of the loose fruit and veg is measured strange.
If you have to pick 20 carrots its 20 items on the pick stick but for picker performance its only counted as 1 item becouse when weighed its scanned as 1 barcode,  Bizarre .

Peppers are a set price so if you pick 20 of them its measured as 20 items picked.

How can dot com managers seriously take people into the office about picker performance when they system is not fair to people who pick the loose fruit and veg.

In out store as well the mapping is horrendous and worst it as ever been, easily im misplacing 20 plus items every shift and then next shift habe to do the same items again. Shops gone to the dogs, the new pickers just set on look puzzled every time they are picking. Poor things

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk