News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:04AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 283
Total: 286

Temp contract

Started by Freebird123, 01-01-20, 06:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breeksy

Thank you! Unfortunately I work nights, but I'll phone and see what they say.

Thanks!

trotter

How do temporary workers get told they are no longer needed? For example is it at the end of a shift when they are told thanks for their help but we are ok now or is it in another way?

trotter

You should get a letter.

lackofinterest

Quote from: trotter on 24-12-20, 12:28AM
How do temporary workers get told they are no longer needed? For example is it at the end of a shift when they are told thanks for their help but we are ok now or is it in another way?
probably thanks for nothing, goodbye and might try to contact you next christmas

newguy20

If temporary staff are let go and get their holiday paid off, is that based on their contract hours or average hours?

eg if they were on a 15 hour contract but actually worked 30 hours most weeks, they will get their holiday allocation paid but would it be based on their contract week or their actual week? Heard both opinions!

It's based on their actual week.

Guidance

Quote from: newguy20 on 18-12-20, 01:22AM
We have about 6 temps in our store who started back in March when the pandemic began, they were kept on and have been strung along on short term contracts. Seems a bit silly to not take people on permanently, most are only on 10-12 hours a week but yet have the disorganised "oh are you going/aren't you going/oh we need to do the paperwork" dance every couple of months!!

I agree. I don’t understand why they don’t just hire permanent workers. Some of the temp workers are better than the permanent workers.

Guidance

I am a temporary worker and work very hard. I do more work than the permanent workers and have been praised highly by other workers, a few managers and customers. Still though, I don’t think they are keeping me on.

But it is interesting that you all say that the temporary workers are poor, they are all very good in my store.

Guidance

Quote from: dotnochance on 20-12-20, 06:17PM
You know what I’ve learnt after working at Tesco for 15 years? New starts are always c**p till they learn how to do the job, the other members in the department complain about how s*** that new start is at the job. After a few months the new person gets somewhat competent at the job and joins the others in the department complaining at how s*** the new start is at the job. Rinse and repeat for my 15 years. News flash to everyone complaining about how c**p new people are at the job, people complained about you when you joined! Break the cycle

I have people complain about me but expect me to know certain things without telling or training me. It is uncomfortable.

Guidance

Are hiring decisions made by head office in England or the individual store? I just ask as I was laid off from my temp job.. but I heard that some temporary people were highered permanently.

I feel a little hurt for not being taken on despite all the hard work. Working over Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day. Going above and beyond, doing more work than was required of me. Staying in really late hours and then coming in at 6am to bring in the stock after having only 4 hours of sleep. Working seven days in a row as well. I honestly worked so hard at that job.

I am thinking about why this happened and feel like stupid for putting in such hard work. Can’t help but feel this is a judgement on me.

Maybe it is a whole misunderstanding.

penguin

Individual stores make the call on who to hire.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Guidance

So what would determine a temp worker being kept on?

dotnochance

my guess is only dotcom temps will stay and will depend on how far the number of trollies have dropped or will

Guidance

Yes.. why do they stay on? I’m just wondering how anyone ever gets a permanent job in there, I rarely see permanent jobs advertised.

You would think they would take on good temporary workers instead of cycling new people every few months.

Redshoes

Quote from: Guidance on 02-01-21, 10:35PM
So what would determine a temp worker being kept on?

A long list of things. Firstly being if they can afford it. There is a set budget for each dept. If a dept is under hours they may be able to keep a temp. If extra strain is being put on a dept due to things like long term sick, unfilled contracted hours, or a big launch on the horizon. This is all simplified but it comes down to "can we afford it". After that a manager can request but it's senior team that decide.

newguy20

What I do think was a bit unfair was when they inducted the christmas temps this year they told them there would be a possibility of being kept on for those who were interested and who had shown themselves to be good.
At the same time everyone else was being told there were still cuts coming, and lo and behold, nobody was kept on from christmas. Just felt it was a bit wrong that they told all these people something they knew was rubbish!

NightAndDay

At the very least, it taught them not to trust Retail Managers, all they cared about was that the false hope they gave resulted in greater productivity and commitment to the business, the temps will hopefully be at least a bit less naive in in the future.

Guidance

Well I personally feel that they took advantage. I know I did the role of a permanent staff member and more. As I said coming in on more than a several days at 6am to bring the stock in after working late the previous day. And coming in at the last minute to cover when I was supposed to be off.

And constantly replenishing the stock whilst the permanent staff took the day off. I started to notice some people slacking off because they knew I would do it. They used me because they knew I was loyal.

I am sorry if I am a loyal person. I don’t believe it’s naive to think that one would be rewarded for hard work and loyalty. It smacks of unappreciation.

I certainly learn’t a hard lesson and will be questioning heavily re the contract length if they ask me to come back due to rising cases. I certainly won’t be doing all that work again, only to be sent home with my tail between my legs looking like an idiot. Most definitely not.

Anyway I don’t think they will call me in again. I think they will just advertise the job again. They seem to not want me for some reason. 

Personally, I would not recommend temp work and won’t be applying for temp jobs in the future. You are not treated equally, some of the permanent colleagues are competitive/threatened if you do a better job and others do not treat you equally or recognise your skills despite being there months. I have had people from other departments undermine me etc just because I am temporary.

Teddybonkers

Guidance - I'm thinking what a lucky escape you've had. Forget about Tesco and get yourself a proper job where you're efforts might be appreciated. Tesco is nothing but a giant p**s take.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Guidance on 02-01-21, 10:25PM
Are hiring decisions made by head office in England or the individual store? I just ask as I was laid off from my temp job.. but I heard that some temporary people were highered permanently.

I feel a little hurt for not being taken on despite all the hard work. Working over Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day. Going above and beyond, doing more work than was required of me. Staying in really late hours and then coming in at 6am to bring in the stock after having only 4 hours of sleep. Working seven days in a row as well. I honestly worked so hard at that job.

I am thinking about why this happened and feel like stupid for putting in such hard work. Can’t help but feel this is a judgement on me.

Maybe it is a whole misunderstanding.

Your face didnt fit.

dotnochance

Now you can probably see why the permanent staff don’t care and let you work your arse off ragged! They probably learnt that lesson years ago. Tesco don’t give a flying f*** about staff. I used to be like you I worked my Arse off for the company, even used to be a team leader, then got f***ed over as a team leader and made redundant and moved to dotcom, I used to go out of my way to pick way above the pick rate, even though I used to be 20-30 points above the pick, if you where caught talking managers team support would scream at you “we’re busy stop talking” even after I’d show my high pick, they’d be like don’t care, well now I deliberately give my pick exactly at the pick rate pass and do the bare minimum for them to not notice me, gone are the days I give anything but bare minimum, f*** them

Guidance

Quote from: Teddybonkers on 04-01-21, 10:47AM
Guidance - I'm thinking what a lucky escape you've had. Forget about Tesco and get yourself a proper job where you're efforts might be appreciated. Tesco is nothing but a giant p**s take.

I am a graduate and have struggled to get a job for months and months, I just want something to tide me over for now.

lackofinterest

Quote from: dotnochance on 04-01-21, 01:57PM
Now you can probably see why the permanent staff don’t care and let you work your arse off ragged! They probably learnt that lesson years ago. Tesco don’t give a flying f*** about staff. I used to be like you I worked my Arse off for the company, even used to be a team leader, then got f***ed over as a team leader and made redundant and moved to dotcom, I used to go out of my way to pick way above the pick rate, even though I used to be 20-30 points above the pick, if you where caught talking managers team support would scream at you “we’re busy stop talking” even after I’d show my high pick, they’d be like don’t care, well now I deliberately give my pick exactly at the pick rate pass and do the bare minimum for them to not notice me, gone are the days I give anything but bare minimum, f*** them
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

King1999

Does anyone care anymore they just rinse as much as they can out of you if you let them.Feels like your working for an app now anyway.Our Sm thought supplying crisps,fizzy drinks and chocolate was a massive morale booster over Christmas the place is a f****ng joke now.And that dog s*** music constantly playing yep......nope.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Guidance on 04-01-21, 07:32PM
Quote from: Teddybonkers on 04-01-21, 10:47AM

I am a graduate and have struggled to get a job for months and months, I just want something to tide me over for now.

If you're a graduate, you're already more qualified than the majority of Store Managers, you shouldn't be applying and making do with ca or entry level jobs, if you have at least a 2:2 you can apply for Tescos graduate scheme, they have an in-store graduate scheme where you start off as a team manager on £28k a year, or better yet apply for jobs outside of Retail, you usually get paid more for less work but you will need to use your brain more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk