Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

18-09-21, 08:45AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 47168
  • Total Topics: 915
  • Online Today: 71
  • Online Ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 48
Total: 52

Author Topic: student transfers  (Read 2658 times)

joeb

student transfers
« on: 26-07-18, 10:50AM »
Hi I was wondering out of interest how many people have been successful in obtaining a student transfer? My daughter will be applying for a student transfer for September 2018 as soon as the form is available online but was wondering if she should also be looking for jobs with other companies just in case. Also does anyone know how it works as there's very little information available on the site. Do students come back and work in their original branch in student holidays or are they expected to work the whole year in the branch they've got a transfer to? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Chelebee

Re: student transfers
« Reply #1 on: 26-07-18, 11:37AM »
My daughter applied last year and heard nothing . She contacted the local stores and eventually got a position in Nov . They student transfer process is shocking .

adamlad

« Reply #2 on: 26-07-18, 08:28PM »
Adding to the last message, your daughter is better going into the local store where she wants to go and asking in person as the system never passes online application correctly. I was previously a manager and used to say this to all my cashiers who wanted to transfer away. She needs to do it soon as in uni towns there is more student transfers than there are often positions.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 27-07-18, 01:44PM »
I've only heard of one successful student transfer in over 15yrs from my store , however most students are welcomed back summer/Christmas/,Easter when off uni . I have no idea how this is processed .

joeb

« Reply #4 on: 27-07-18, 04:06PM »
Thanks for the replies - I must admit that this is what I expected in that the transfer scheme is  a waste of time! I'm genuinely shocked by my daughter's experience in Tesco as they seem so disorganised and seem to have arbitrary rules and regulations. However the pay is good so I'll get her to apply directly to stores near where she's studying and hope for the best. Thanks again for the quick responses,

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 27-07-18, 05:20PM »
joeb, your daughter would be best looking at the Tesco careers website to identify what stores are looking for staff nearby.  She could also go in and ask to speak with the duty manager/SM in the store she wants to work at. The student transfer process/paperwork is a waste of time. It actually involves people doing some work to help another. She will have to do some looking around herself. There is better paid jobs out there even for students.

(edited to remove identifying detail.)
« Last Edit: 29-07-18, 05:43PM by tumshie »

Rad

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 28-07-18, 07:47PM »
You need to remember that student transfers only help some stores.  Eg a store takes on a student transfer in sept but the student wants to go home at christmas and easter.  2 of the busiest times of the year. Find a store that is near a university.  Its likeky they will get quiet out of term time and won't mind students returning home. 
There are also problems sometimes with personnel files moving around, payroll transfers, who pays for holidays (now that over time is included in holiday pay).
The student transfer system is not perfect and has lots of pitfalls but its a lot better than nothing at all.
Get your daughter to email the individual stores or visit them.

joeb

« Reply #7 on: 29-07-18, 11:27AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

Blooming bws

« Reply #8 on: 29-07-18, 11:47PM »
Hi how do you start your own topic cant see anything to help so have posted on here cheers me dears  :P  :-[

Global Moderator Comment Please read VLH Supporter Benefits