News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:41PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 285
Total: 289

3rd August 2020

Started by chris9997, 25-07-20, 04:00PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Quote from: Katarn2000 on 14-08-20, 10:22AM
They should just pay people on flexis an extra £1 per hour. Problem solved.

Lets not start a debate on the question of equal pay for work of equal worth, I think there is one on here somewhere.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

bugsbunny

I have worked for the company for 30 years therefore I do not have to be till trained but can I be made to work on  com?  I have worked  on Non food for 26years but looks like we are going to lose a lot of hours on non food.

kaled78

yes you can be made to work on .com im afraid it was never part of the partnership agreement about checkout multiskilling from 2005

Nomad

"I have worked for the company for 30 years therefore I do not have to be till trained"
Correct.

https://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=6656.0
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Checkout Superstar

Logically it should be the heatmap who chooses which members if any have to move. Its done that way to avoid looking like manager favouritism. If you are on a flexi with full availability and a perfect score on attendance etc you should be fine.   

At our store they are letting go of the final dot com temps in a few weeks to make way for moves yet no consultation has started yet so if they just randomly do decide to move several people to dot com without warning I can predict the management of our store won't know whats hit them because that is not how its supposed to be done.  The process of moving people from department to department is not supposed to be done this way but you have to watch Tesco not to try and pull a fast one. If you are in a store which is doing this log everything, ask for copies of the heatmap and fight your corner.

My irk with our store is that we have many colleagues past their retirement age on full time or long hour permanent contracts. They are in receipt of their state pension yet are willing to see more capable younger members forced off departments just to accommodate them. You must all fight for You and only you.

lucgeo

Your irk is commonplace in most stores...I was working, and looking forward to finishing at 60...then they moved the goalposts and raised the retirement age  >:(  I was ready to go, and grabbed redundancy with both hands, otherwise there's no way I could have managed the few extra years I had left with no income.
I believe there should have been a government initiative for a job share scheme put in place...for older workers affected by the retirement age rise, to share their full time contract with a younger unemployed person...both subsidised with a top up working credit allowance...then the younger worker would have gained employment and experience, and the elder's workload would have eased significantly.
I always found that those who had received their pension before the age increase benchmark, tended to moan about the more tax they paid, moan about how the store had gone downhill, moan how tired they were, yet always grabbed all the Sunday overtime!! I did ask one once, why they continued to work,when they were getting a pension, and work pension? " I'd be bored at home"  afraid I lost it and told them there was young people bored at home, no money and wanting to work, but being denied the opportunity  by job hoggers >:(
There was also the ones who had dropped hours over the years. Those hours were never replaced, so the store gradually became mainly staffed by part timers, and any vacancies for full timers were management only.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Seymee

I have daily availability from 9am to 10pm so couldn't really do the dot com early 4am and 6am starts but there are others on my department who can. This is where it gets annoying because those who can do the dot com early starts are the ones in red on the heatmap. My shifts bar one are all amber or green so I'm really hoping I'm not gonna be forced out of the department so those in red can take my shifts and I get sent to dot com or worse still..... stock control

I will be so annoyed.

gomezz

Quote from: lucgeo on 16-08-20, 09:32AMafraid I lost it and told them there was young people bored at home, no money and wanting to work, but being denied the opportunity  by job hoggers >:(
You vented your anger at the wrong people.  I hope you got told to keep your neb out of other peoples' business.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Redshoes

That's a very ageist comment to make, there are laws to protect people from comments like that. A great many of these people were expecting to retire and have even passed the age they had expected to retire but the retirement age has changed. I don't know what age you are expected to retire yourself but I expect it's higher than many of these people in work that you are complaining about. My retirement age is 66 and I have a few years to go yet but I know of some not far off me in age that have to work later than that.
Some people have to work beyond retirement age as the pension they have is not enough to live on. Some work to fund holidays. Some work for the company. There is not a one case fits all. Some may say it's for company or for holidays but they might not want to say it's because they can't afford to retire. Some pension pots have been plundered so there is no choice. So many different reasons, that don't have to be explained.

Seymee

I wonder who the oldest person working for Tesco is? we have a 75 year old working in ours. I think when you get to 70 you should be having regular medicals to declare how fit you are because at 75  I view this person as a disaster waiting to happen.

penguin

As long as people are healthy and able to get the job done age should not be an issue.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Seymee

Don't get me wrong if you are capable then go for it but at 75 should you really be trusted to pull out cages? one slip and we aren't exactly talking one week off, it would be more like six months. I surprised Tesco haven't fought hard to get all over 65 plus on checkouts for 'light duties'.

Nomad

From a 74 year old  :D

And all the young people who don't know (in 10 seconds) what (7x8)+(9x3) is without an electronic device, 8% of £450.00, the difference between there and their or cant and can't.  Should be on nights sweeping the floor  :P

Not to mention managers, managers' and manager's  :'(

Excuse my rant.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lucgeo

@gomezz

It was a PERSON...not PEOPLE! Who was nearing 70, drawing state pension...private pension, wage and continually moaning they hated the job and was being crippled in tax, but would be bored at home! The same person who made the obligatory sympathy noises when the young father on the same dept was being made redundant, due to loss of hours on dept.

@ Redshoes

There seems to be laws for everything these days...and the majority of the time it's the do gooders, who aren't even of the category, that shout the loudest. Did you actually read my post?? Where it states my aging years?
I have been on the receiving end of many comments myself over the years...age...weight..race etc...most were good humoured and taken in the same vein...those that weren't were soon put right.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

A lot of the old codgers who worked at Tesco as a ca when I was there had very different careers in the past such as marine biologist or chemistry teacher. I would guess the percentage of Tesco lifers in the company who are over 60 years old would be in the very small minority (I don't think it gets much more depressing than serving 20+ years at Tesco without a promotion etc but kudos to those who managed it), but the fact still stands that a lot of the older people who are working there are doing so not because it's their career, but to give them something to do, a bit of extra money before retirement.

Hammer10

It’s not all what it cracks up to be as a manager I stepped down long ago before all this c**p life so much easier now just do your job and gO home .

notsofunny

Quote from: Nomad on 16-08-20, 01:13PM
From a 74 year old  :D

And all the young people who don't know (in 10 seconds) what (7x8)+(9x3) is without an electronic device, 8% of £450.00, the difference between there and their or cant and can't.  Should be on nights sweeping the floor  :P

Not to mention managers, managers' and manager's  :'(

Excuse my rant.

I must be young since i still fail to correct my , there or their as to the sums ,,,,,, ;D ;D and i am coming to be 60

person7

I've not heard any of this?

Concerned hearing here about the GM cuts. I only work 7 hours week but from September onwards overtime for GM skyrocketed as Christmas stock slowly comes out.

From November you can't even catch your breath in my store..
Let's say I had to listen to 3 customers at once with difference questions and none respected I was already talking to a customer. Luckily I managed to hear all 3 and get them sorted in timely manner etc.

What cuts are happening on GM as September to January in my store at the mad busiest.

Right now there's only myself for half the shift before a colleague starts later. It's hard enough doing half a shift all by myself for ENTIRE GM area. (8 aisles) especially bad last year at Christmas time on my own until my other colleague comes in.

In the past there was 3 of us. And as my contract is only that day they move shift of one of the other colleagues already (who worked full time) as they were already cutting hours. (so seems my shift is safe as its one day a week but as in past other colleagues have moved away or shifted to different day after someone getting cut... I worry I'll be on my own for the entire shift coming to the busiest time of the year as propel shop for Christmas. (last year we Had NOBODY new in to help us)

Seymee

Its the same here, our GM and F&F departments are going to be gutted out of all capable staff just as we approach the busiest time of the year for both depts. None of the decisions being made have been made with knowledge of how things happen on the floor. They will hit a brick wall soon and departments just won't be able to function.

kaled78

some of the gm people in my store have gone off sick to try to avoid getting moved in the restructuring,but they are only delaying the process,it will still happen

King1999

All seems pretty desperate,getting rid of too many key people and what experienece is left they've upset off.Clutching at straws.

fscer

GM is going. Just Tesco is doing it in phases.

Seymee

Our GM still makes money but the department is massive and we only have 10 department members now. Out of those 10 only four of us are on flexis. This is the problem, they have no where to put those on fixed contracts because its 30 hours but know they can't rid the department of flexis. How this is going to work without us all going into consultation I don't know

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk