News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:53PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 302
Total: 305

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordadmiral

Quote from: chris9997 on 28-03-21, 02:00AM
Don't hold your breath folks,  firstly it could cost Tesco billions in back pay so they will put the biggest and best lawyers in there legal costs of 10s of millions will not faze them as the claim is very shaky
Tesco claim distribution and stores are two separate businesses within the Tesco group ((Tesco stores Ltd and Tesco Distribution Ltd) therefore according to Tesco same rules do not apply.
When the claim looks doomed Leigh Day will back out and you will hear no more about the claim as happened with the claim they started for Sunday pay/double time.

Regarding Sunday pay, double time rates.  Any legal action had no chances to be successful because of the national legislation.  UK employees rights are one of the worst amongst developed and developing countries. Companies like Tesco know that and will use it against own employees.
Equal pay is right thing to do in my opinion but I would preferably see experience/ performance related pay.

londoner83

Personally think performance related pay is the way too go to....

But back to the claim, Still think it could take the best part of the decade before even if employees were successful, that they would actually recieve any compensation. Many employees would not doubt have left and be "untraceable" to the company.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Tom Hardy on 28-03-21, 11:08AM
If it will cost the industry Billions then don't be surprised when there is mass job losses as a result

It will be hard for them to have less workers when we are pared to the bone as it is.

NightAndDay

Plenty of fat to be cut from head office.

londoner83

Still management to cut from large stores.....
Can run a Sunday with 2-3 managers, yet even after structure change will still have 8 on a quieter mid week day.

lordadmiral

Quote from: londoner83 on 29-03-21, 09:38AM
Personally think performance related pay is the way too go to....

But back to the claim, Still think it could take the best part of the decade before even if employees were successful, that they would actually recieve any compensation. Many employees would not doubt have left and be "untraceable" to the company.

It looks like it would be another 10 years. If I remember right it took 12 years for Birmingham Council workers to win theirs case.
Sad part of our case is that some might be already dead when case will be settled.
But for some it might be nice lump sum for 15 years of work.
Just need to wait.

Nomad

In the event of settlement in employees' favour and the prior demise of some employees  (who have worked during the relevant period)  is it not executors/solicitors job to collect all monies owing to the deceases estate ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

chris9997

Quote from: lordadmiral on 28-03-21, 07:08PM
Quote from: chris9997 on 28-03-21, 02:00AM
Don't hold your breath folks,  firstly it could cost Tesco billions in back pay so they will put the biggest and best lawyers in there legal costs of 10s of millions will not faze them as the claim is very shaky
Tesco claim distribution and stores are two separate businesses within the Tesco group ((Tesco stores Ltd and Tesco Distribution Ltd) therefore according to Tesco same rules do not apply.
When the claim looks doomed Leigh Day will back out and you will hear no more about the claim as happened with the claim they started for Sunday pay/double time.

Regarding Sunday pay, double time rates.  Any legal action had no chances to be successful because of the national legislation.  UK employees rights are one of the worst amongst developed and developing countries. Companies like Tesco know that and will use it against own employees.
Equal pay is right thing to do in my opinion but I would preferably see experience/ performance related pay.
when usdaw negotiated for equal pay for Sunday's/ bank holidays and overtime it was assumed everyone would go up to the double time/ time and half instead everyone was down to the lower rate. Thankyou usdaw .
I have been with the company a number of years and usdaw have not got us anything we would not of got anyway.

forrestgimp

Usdaw have helped me immeasurably over the years, What do you think we would have without unions. To answer that just look to America where you can be sacked for wearing the wrong coloured shirt to work on dress down friday.

It may not be the most militant but its all we have if you feel its not worth having then stop your membership no one forces you to be in it.

dotnochance

No, we have all the rights we enjoy today from past unions! the  usless worthless ones we have now are a waste of time, we cant even strike.

NightAndDay

Quote from: forrestgimp on 30-03-21, 01:04PM
Usdaw have helped me immeasurably over the years, What do you think we would have without unions. To answer that just look to America where you can be sacked for wearing the wrong coloured shirt to work on dress down friday.

It may not be the most militant but its all we have if you feel its not worth having then stop your membership no one forces you to be in it.

Or petition to have USDAW replaced as the recognised union with one that is actually anti-corporate. Something like the RMT for the train companies, we need one that would love to see Tesco go bankrupt.

And unlike the rail companies, Tesco isn't a monopoly, strike action would mean more custom for their competitors.

Nomad

Let us not turn yet another topic into a union bashing thread, deserve or not.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Tesco staff win legal argument in equal pay fight

QuoteTesco, the UK's biggest retailer, and law firm Leigh Day, acting on behalf of the workers, sought clarification from the Court of Justice of the European Union.

They asked the court to rule on a specific aspect of European law - whether the so-called "single source" test applies to businesses in the UK.

Under EU law, a worker can be compared with somebody working in a different establishment if a "single source" has the power to correct the difference in pay.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

forrestgimp

Its looking good but it must be grating the distribution workers who like to feel superior because we all know putting shopping onto a cage is completely different to taking it off, oh wait.......

Nomad

Yep, another small but strong step in a long long road.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Depressed

Is it for just women then? Because what about the men? Do we get this equal pay the ?Especially men/ woman who work nights as I feel this is more of a representative of distribution work to shop floor work

Nomad

QuoteTesco workers, mostly women, have argued that they failed to receive equal pay for work of equal value with colleagues in its distribution centres who are mostly men.

Mostly = not all.

It is an equal pay claim, not gender based claim.

Maybe some equalizing of pay, but you'll need a lot of patience.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

T2019sackallmanagers

Well this equal pay claim has been going since 2014, so don't be surprised if it'll take another 7 years to find a resolution!

q2000

I wonder if the checkout / floor staff and floor workers are ok to wear armbands to track breaks / toilet breaks. They are definitely different jobs. I worked over decade in Tesco and wouldn't want to be treated like distribution centres.

Anyway watch what happens next if staff do win. More automation / more changes to contracts and more job cuts. Give with one hand take with other.

Nomad

Quote"More automation / more changes to contracts and more job cuts. Give with one hand take with other."

It was always thus, and as it shall always be.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

forrestgimp

Quote from: q2000 on 06-06-21, 06:49PM
I wonder if the checkout / floor staff and floor workers are ok to wear armbands to track breaks / toilet breaks. They are definitely different jobs.

You are mixing up terms and conditions with job roles, the jobs are the same but in reverse but if you lot have to put up with the tracking of movements you only have yourselves to blame. Say no and strike while its being discussed.

tescopleb

Let's not lose sight of the fact that it's about recognising that these are jobs of equal worth.

alf

Carparkpothole

All distribution centres are struggling to recruit now, I've heard that there are way more leaving  than applications.

lol its me

Quote from: q2000 on 06-06-21, 06:49PM
I wonder if the checkout / floor staff and floor workers are ok to wear armbands to track breaks / toilet breaks. They are definitely different jobs. I worked over decade in Tesco and wouldn't want to be treated like distribution centres.

Anyway watch what happens next if staff do win. More automation / more changes to contracts and more job cuts. Give with one hand take with other.
Yeah its called working in dotcom as a  picker, your every second of the day is tracked and monitored

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk