News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:42PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,118
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 310
Total: 314

News articles

Started by Nomad, 21-03-18, 10:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightAndDay

It is priority in Express, it's common activity for security guards to massage incidents to make things worse than they appear so they can remain in a job, TSS is the guard provider for all convenience format stores, my old flat mate is a security guard in Express so this is how it is done.

Colleagues serm to have it easier in superstore formats so could well be the case for superstore.

notsofunny

In Express it has always been that you got a guard according to shrink and attacks on staff , But if you fail to log on line the incidents daily the chances are that the guard will be taken away.

Redshoes

From what I have heard and seen there is going to be a huge move towards body cams. The new structure at PFS brings in bullet proof screens, smoke bombs, cctv, headsets but they are also talking about body cams.

We lost our security guard ages ago. The local extra has guards, as does the metro store that is in the city centre about 40 miles away. We don’t have as it’s a superstore and not a high risk area. We do have the hub though and the guys that work on the hub are very good. We report a theft and they find the cctv footage and send to police and share with the group. We have also had a few staff issues come down from the hub.

We have four working headsets that team support use at checkouts. A metro store now has all colleagues wearing headsets. The new PFS structure also requires PFS colleagues to wear headsets.

Mark calloway

There's a news article in the sun regarding a fat man and asda not taking his delivery upstairs.  Dont know how to share it.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Mark calloway

Doris Stokes

After the failure to renege on contracts at Livingstone, it can't be long before the ghouls at the Smile building give this a try?  :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56213042

whatajoke2019

Sainsbury's to cut 500 jobs with a further 650 'at risk'

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/14223746/sainsburys-cut-jobs-restructuring-plan/

Chief Executive Simon Roberts said: "the savings made from the job cuts will be used to reduce prices in stores and invest in more online facilities.

He said: "Our new plan puts food first and will create a simpler, nimbler and more efficient business."

whatajoke2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-56806641

Tosco have been fined £7.56m for selling out of date food in three stores between 2016 and 2017.

:-X :-X :-X

OvaSees

100 year old supermarket still learning how to rotate stock smh

BarryZola

This is what happens when you cut back shop floor staff to the bone and expect them to do more than the hours that they have available to them allow. Add to that that they have cut down the amount of full-time roles and it means people working on the departments feel that they have less 'ownership' of those departments or indeed culpability if things aren't perfect. If you stick some relatively new people on random departments here and there every few hours they're naturally going to be less inclined to do things properly as it becomes someone else's problem during the next day or two or however long. If you know that you're going to have to come back into the problems that you create on the following days then you will be inclined to do things properly otherwise you will be the one sorting out the mess. Then also add to this that benefits are cut year on year so some staff will feel that they don't really want to put in 100% as they feel that the company isn't 'looking after them' in return.

Give people proper jobs and stop treating them badly and most will repay the favour with providing better work for you. It doesn't take a genius to work these things out.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: OvaSees on 20-04-21, 11:03AM
100 year old supermarket still learning how to rotate stock smh

With the deepcleaning going on you'd be surprised what we find lol, ready meals 5 to 8 days out of date.... That had been put into trays and checked for dates beforehand the night before and signed off by day management...  ???🤦‍♂️

Think they'll look at the rotation a little bit more seriously for the next few days incase other stores get checked...

NightAndDay

Worst I seen was Orange Juice 3 years past its sell by date lol

lordadmiral

Well record i ever seen was 5 years ;D ;D ;D

Nomad

Sell by/Best before

The above topic has many links to news articles.

The first being from 2010, Long Life milk sold 1 year out of date.

Yet after this incident they have the gall to reply with this:
QuoteTesco said it was "disappointed" that out-of-date products were found on supermarket shelves, but said that it has "robust procedures" in place to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Would be funny if it was not so serious.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

jester21

Totally Agree would be funny - every week there is something out of date on the Tesco shelves, a lot of kids who work on certain depts can't be arsed checking, they're in a world of their own.

Tesco needs a big wakeup call!

Duff McKagan

Hardly a surprise to find massively out of date products on sale...if other stores are anything like mine, it's bound to happen...we are expected to work our sections in half the time the scheduler suggests and then go and work on other areas...if we fail to do this we will be managed out of the business we are told. People, when put in this kind of position, are bound to make mistakes and cut corners. You cannot simply turn an 11 hour job into a 5.5 hour job by sheer speed alone.
If they want the job done correctly, I.e filled 100%, faced 100%, backstock tidy and everything rotated and in order then we must be allowed the proper amount of time to do so rather than being rushed and threatened with dismissal if we take longer than the arbitrary time scales our manager comes up with.
Rushing us to pocket hundreds of man hours a week and look good to the bosses.....well this is what happens!

whatajoke2019

I've seen a box of a well-known brand chocolates before left in a room a cleaner had found under the shelves that was three years out of date   :D.

Unfortunately they are so Hell bent on high turnover rates of staff any training and actual care gets more and more diminished.

Omg1

It was only a matter of time . Lose compliance managers , reduce staff, cut cleaning  and no surprise lower standards .

Report it every time you find something out of date and keep a record for yourselves as proof just in case they blame you .

penguin

Times have changed, years ago someone a customer by the way reported to head office finding some out of date crisps in store, it got passed down to the SD who turned up along with a couple of other people and inspected the crisp isle from top to bottom before getting hold of the store manager and reading him the riot act, these days I doubt anyone would do more than just ask a CA to give the rotation a quick check.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

Sorry to go on, but talking of being funny if it were not serious, did anybody spot this in The Grocer.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/tesco/tesco-fined-75m-for-selling-out-of-date-food-in-birmingham-stores/655264.article
QuoteFollowing discussions between the city council and Tesco, officers were invited back to do another check on 12 April 2016, when they found various items on display including own-brand pizza, doughballs, soup, pork belly slices, potato salad, trifle and flavoured milk, out of date for up to 17 days.

Officers invited back, I presume by Tesco, and they still found numerous out of date products, what's the saying -

;D ;D "you cannot be serious"  ;D  8-)

If that doesn't speak for MM IQ I don't know what does  :-X
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

penguin

Not exactly the same thing but it does remind me of the time where a new to the company store manager in express had the bright idea of e-mailing one of the directors at the time to invite him for a visit, backfired big time when said director turned up unannounced several weeks later and left about 5 pages of next steps and also sent a copy of them to the store managers boss. The only reason I got to know of it was I along with several others were sent for a week from our normal store to the express in question to work on the aforementioned next steps.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

VladPutin

I'm surprised a director would be able to waddle all the way around a store and have enough breath left to write up five pages of next steps. Directors do even less work than store managers. :D

Nomad

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/145261/label-confusion/

QuoteApproved Food brand ambassador Jonathan Straight added that the Tesco spokesperson's use of such a phrase was unhelpful and arguably resulted in national press echoing these words.

Straight said that this could potentially lead to "perfectly edible food being needlessly discarded".

He continued: "It also detracts from the real issue, which is that Tesco's internal procedures, checks and staff training have failed at multiple locations and on several occasions."
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Doris Stokes

In Tesco's 2020 modern slavery statement, Tesco said they investigated a number of potential indicators
of modern slavery within their own operations, finding that (amongst others)

• A supervisor found to be providing accommodation to
agency workers (a known risk factor for exploitation).

• Workers within a Tesco Distribution Centre found to have
been encouraged to give gifts to management in return for
preferential treatment.

I've had a search through VLH, and google, and not come up with any more detail than this. Can anybody, more savvy, link me to any article, court case or provide any more info on this, please?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk