News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 06:54PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 284
Total: 287

Sell by/Best before

Started by Nomad, 15-03-10, 09:55AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete

Unless you're of a very delicate disposition you'll probably be fine*. Its a 'Best Before' on beer isn't it. If you're unsure I'd be happy to come and taste test a few. Might need to test about half a dozen to be sure though :D

*i know nothing really, don't blame me if you have the runs/end up in hospital etc etc its entirely at you risk etc etc etc :D :D

Eddie Clarke

Quote from: bloodhound on 20-01-12, 05:27PM
.......Trouble is, the 'sell by' date is august 2011!!.........

Obviously purchased from her local Tesco last week ;D

bloodhound

Pete!, the first 6 is reserved for you! I have booked a room in the local A&E purely for safety's sake nothing more!
Should Pete make it out the other side then...
3 slabs sitting ready  for a VLH party...dependant on medical trials..keep us posted Pete!  :(

Seanmclude

1991 was my worst/best find.  Sponge fingers.... they were stuck behind a shelf....  :-X

Nomad

Were any of them Paul Daniel's  (?))

Sorry, my bad  :(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

MonkeyPudding

Anyone know what the company policy is when a customer returns items which were purchased when already out of date?  Obviously they are entitled to their money back, but is there any additional compensation?

Storck

Like most compensation I would say up to the managers.

wellhereiam

I have purchased items twice that were out of date. When I returned them all I got was a refund. Mind you I didn't kick up a fuss about it or demand anything else.

just curious

What is the average fine imposed by the local authority's for out of date stock on the shelves ? , Then give the customer a great big thank you and a reward of 20% of the overall  possible fine that could have been imposed   :d:  :d:  , far better than yet more bad publicity plus reducing the local authority's of  having the chance to prosecute the mighty Tosco  yet again . Any duty manager should know the consumer rights acts and laws plus legality's . ( The university whizz kids even more so ) . LoL . (?))  (?))   ;D  ;D .

Storck

If they gave a reward for buying out of date stuff what would stop people just bringing stuff back after the sell by/best before date?

It would be a nightmare to manage.

ssdd

Is SYP a factor?
Stock rotation does not happen as much as it used to.
Is this because staff don't care anymore, the pressure of SYP or because  staff just can't be arsed?

Tommy Sumner

Don't buy your frozen food from our friends - I hear that from this week they aren't checking temperatures on frozen loads (allegedly)!

Googler

My view, as I have been shift leader previously, is to apologise, offer a full refund AND a replacement product or an equivalent of close to but at least the same value. And then actively search for any more problem products.

If it is a melted product, such as an ice-cream, I allow the customer to choose and open it there and then to check to see if it's okay - If it isn't I gave them full right to refuse it and pick another until they were satisfied. The products that didn't meet their standard got wasted. - It says it on the back any pack and I'd rather sort the issue out there and then and keep everyone happy.

If the customer chose to take it a step further then I'd give them the chance to fill out a RP125 form and get the store manager's contact details, and/or get in touch with customer services. They could then authorise any suitable compensation from then on. (Express by the way)

Just a note to any customers: Please always keep the receipt as it would help us to help you more efficiently, especially if we have to fill out any forms or need to let our managers know.

danandnic05

not tesco

but when i worked for morrisons and they  bought some  kwik saves the shop i was rejigging (hyde)

i found a dairy milk 9 years out of date

Nomad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306539/Formula-milk-rationed-British-supermarkets-stop-bulk-buyers-selling-profit--China.html

QuoteBut security guards have been hired at some stores to check customers do not return later that day for another batch  of milk.

Just wondered if anyone buying baby milk in the morning gets a stamp on the back of the hand, like some gigs, to show that they have been in the store already that day, or does it rely on the security guards memory and the argument with the customer that could possibly follow.

"you bought baby milk this morning",
"no I did not, prove it"  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

ijdavenport

I cannot work out why tesco label instore baked bread with 'best before' on that date? Surely best before should mean the day before the actual date?  As for out of date milk, I found what appeared to be an animal claw in sausage purchased from my local express store. I returned it and was told I would hear from head office. That was 2 months ago and I have heard nothing - not even an apology. I was on local radio last week talking about it and sent them pictures. Next is facebook and youtube. Customer service? It's a joke!!

tumshie

instore baked bread used to be labeled as best before the next day, also with a time of 18 hours after it was baked. it had to be removed from the shelves by one hour before the time stated on it.
then it was decided that it would give our customers a better freshness experience if it was dated on the same day and didn't include the time.

braveryshark

ijdavenport Best before basically means it should be ok to eat after the date stated without making you ill. So in this example bread is at its best(freshest) on the day of bake however ok to eat afterwards. I think they moved it to have a best before time which was 18 hours from labelling because it helped with morning availability. This way bread baked late afternoon/early evening could be left on sale overnight rather than removed from fixture and sliced/wasted on day of bake.Packed bread now has a one day life again and if sliced it becomes a 2 day life.

Nomad

Why are goods with a best before of 25th Oct 14 on sale on 25th Oct 14, I know they are still OK to consume but I do not wish to buy products that are passed their best

Unless they are reduced due to being passed their best  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

lalaland

Found in store on 13th November need I say more

[attachment deleted by admin]

troll-hunter

Is it a cheese DIY kit?
Joking aside, could it be a misprint of the date?

mikeyj

Quote from: braveryshark on 16-05-13, 10:29PM
ijdavenport Best before basically means it should be ok to eat after the date stated without making you ill. So in this example bread is at its best(freshest) on the day of bake however ok to eat afterwards. I think they moved it to have a best before time which was 18 hours from labelling because it helped with morning availability. This way bread baked late afternoon/early evening could be left on sale overnight rather than removed from fixture and sliced/wasted on day of bake.Packed bread now has a one day life again and if sliced it becomes a 2 day life.

Hello,

I am currently looking into packing/pricing issues within our bakery, can you just clarify how sliced bread can have a 2 day life, is it to do with type of packaging it goes into and are you talking about being sliced on the day of bake or the following day?

Cheers

Babylon5 :-*

The Mrs

pete690

Has anyone else noticed that the "special price" marked packs and singles of Kellogg's nutri-grain strawberry flavour give them explosive diarrhea?

I'm gonna try getting them from another store (seen the price-reduced marked packs in other places) to see if it's the bars or only the ones at Tesco.

I've heard that Kelloggs have had to recall products in the past due to some ingredients, (eg, 2-methylnaphthalene), giving people sickness and diarrhea.

Wonder if this is why the strawberry flavour nutri-grain bars are price-reduced by the manufacturer..?

None of the other flavours appear to do this - only the price reduced strawberry ones.

spooner

[gmod]Please do not quote the last post in a thread.[/gmod]

Got more important things to worry about than getting the s***s from a cereal bar  ie looming pay cuts /potential job losses etc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk