Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:52AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 283
Total: 283

Team Managers about to get demoted-lose pay!

Started by markwinters, 29-12-22, 11:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Checkout Superstar

Apparently 'Lets Talks' won't form part of it. Only disciplinaries.

CaramelBunny

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 07-02-23, 08:40AMOne of the interesting things I heard, if you are a manager who previously took redundancy but then returned later you are not eligible for any new redundancy package and it might effect how you are rated with the scoring.

Can that be confirmed?

I thought the redundancy thing was standard Tesco practice anyway and all staff who leave and return will only ever have their recent start date taken into consideration. So if you worked with Tesco from 2006 to 2017 but returned in 2020, only post 2020 counts as service.

ForCryingOutLoud

I know people on here keep asking what the criteria is but does anyone know if the criteria is going to be disclosed/ published by either party to ensure transparency of process?
Any usdaw reps on here?

AsdaBeBetter

I'm a team manager in a Large Express, does anyone know if my position is under threat as I've not been told anything

Happyguy

Quote from: Rodie on 07-02-23, 09:42AM
Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 07-02-23, 08:40AMOne of the interesting things I heard, if you are a manager who previously took redundancy but then returned later you are not eligible for any new redundancy package and it might effect how you are rated with the scoring.

Can that be confirmed?

I thought the redundancy thing was standard Tesco practice anyway and all staff who leave and return will only ever have their recent start date taken into consideration. So if you worked with Tesco from 2006 to 2017 but returned in 2020, only post 2020 counts as service.

That IS the policy, you're correct, but a manager in my store (who I don't think is affected this time) came back after the 2015 reshuffle and had it written into his contract that in the even of future redundancy his old length of service WOULD be taken into account. The only thing excluded was the statutory pay element.

I know this as he was showing us in the canteen one day after he came back and got a serious telling off from the SM.

If he goes this time he'll get almost 50k again. Apparently he's gutted that he isn't up for redundancy this time 😂😂😂

Checkout Superstar

^^ That sounds dodgy as hell, if the SM made that call off their own back I imagine they will be in trouble for it at some point because its not very likely any area manager or Tesco HQ  decided to bend the rules for one person on an issue like that.

Bobmay

Quote from: markwinters on 07-02-23, 08:14AMThe "new" team manager job is going to be way too big for anyone, the shift leader may as well be called shift dogsbody.

TAKE REDUNDANCY IF OFFERED, GET ANOTHER JOB NOW IF NOT, WHATEVER HAPPENS MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THIS COMPANY. THEY HATE YOU... HATE THEM BACK

Agreed Tesco is becoming an place where staff will be overworked especially shift leaders. right now I believe is the final time where redundancy will be offered in my opinion if you are offered take it and don't look back.there is not many options which you can do you can go back into education and get a nice job you can find another better job with better pay and less stress.  Tesco every year since I joined has been cutting staff numbers but also premiums.  Right now I am waiting to see in the next few weeks if my store will have nights cut.

Bobmay

Quote from: AsdaBeBetter on 07-02-23, 09:50AMI'm a team manager in a Large Express,  does anyone know if my position is under threat as I've not been told anything

Yes your position is threatened.  Express stores don't have multiple managers only 1 manager and few shift leaders.

ForCryingOutLoud

This is incorrect to say their position is threatened. If they have not had a 1-1 it's highly unlikely.

BenPvfc

Quote from: Bobmay on 07-02-23, 10:17AM
Quote from: AsdaBeBetter on 07-02-23, 09:50AMI'm a team manager in a Large Express,  does anyone know if my position is under threat as I've not been told anything

Yes your position is threatened.  Express stores don't have multiple managers only 1 manager and few shift leaders.

These current changes only affected superstores and extras.

5fdp

If you haven't been spoken to it means your job is not under threat. Carry on. Only if you have been made aware of any pending structure change do you need to be aware. 

BritishRacingGreen

Quote from: Bobmay on 07-02-23, 10:17AM

For goodness sake @Bobmay ....just stop it. You know nothing so stop making other colleagues lives a misery.

Duff McKagan

Agreed, time for @bobmay to pipe down, clearly knows nothing and is just spouting opinion over fact. These are peoples livelihoods at stake here, stop with the unsubstantiated claims and misinformation, you're causing upset.

Davethebave

Pretty sure the change doesn't effect express only superstores and extras

CaramelBunny

If you haven't been told that your position could be at risk by now then you are not effected by any changes.

NorthbyNorthwest

Agree with the above. If affected you would have had two meetings by now. The first to tell you what the company is doing. The second, to tell you if you are amongst those affected. I've had my two meetings and I know I'm affected, and I hope I can go, but for now I'm not sure of the criteria of who goes/stays, so business as usual until that day comes!

CaramelBunny

Store Managers absolutely DID get the criteria yesterday and I'm gobsmacked it hasn't yet leaked. Like said in the terms of fairness and open transparency I would have expected it to have been revealed. USDAW must be the crappest Union in existence.

Doggiedoodle

USDAW are the most corrupt union where Tesco are concerned they do everything to help the company not the staff! I came out of it 6 years ago I wouldn't give them another penny after the way they stitched us up with changing Sunday and night premiums and agreeing to a pay raise that was actually a drop in pay! The only pockets they are interested in lining are their own and Tosco's.

GotAClubcard

Quote from: Mikoo on 07-02-23, 08:44AMNot sure but my SM has implied exceptions will form some part of it. I'm guessing if you are a manager who isn't uploading overtime/allocating shifts or letting your staff clock in and out as they please then you might be scored down. 

Yup managers will be scored on their exceptions.  Guess this is why Tesco starting tracking them. Sadly my fave manager still allocates shifts to people rather than putting it on extra hours so I guess he is now at risk.

Lets Talks will not count but live warnings will.

Only your most recent review will be taken into account.

Length of service will only be used if two managers score the same.

That is all I know of yet. 

Davethebave

After thinking about it, exceptions cant count towards it.

If I have all my shifts on etc but another manager wants one off my colleagues to do a shift and doesn't put it on, then I get marked down as having an exception despite having all my work done

Checkout Superstar

Surely its the manager who the colleague worked the hours for that is to blame there. Its their job to put it on the system.

In my store the SM constantly gives managers lets talks for allocating shifts. Colleagues are even supposed to get lets talks for mis clock ins.

In terms of length of service. I guess they had to figure out how to break a tie some way but that's s*** on the manager who has been there 3 years but is better than the manager who has been there 11. 

BobbyDazler

Exceptions are a double edged sword.

On the one hand they can show how much control a manager has over their department but on the other also highlight the wider store is as a whole. Which in most cases these days is chaos.

BobbyDazler

Quote from: Davethebave on 08-02-23, 08:36AMAfter thinking about it, exceptions cant count towards it.

If I have all my shifts on etc but another manager wants one off my colleagues to do a shift and doesn't put it on, then I get marked down as having an exception despite having all my work done

Then mention that in your meeting should it come up. Its very easy to see who is to blame in that situation and unless you had knowledge the colleague had been asked to work extra hours  on another dept its not your job to be uploading shifts, its the manager of that department who has the responsibility. 

Redshoes

Extra hours is more than exceptions. Requesting overtime, staying within overtime budget. Launching shifts on extra hours etc. I do all of that. Out of all the overtime that I have launched this week all but two shifts were picked up on extra hours, there is still time though.
I have the biggest headcount in my store. This week alone I have had two colleagues miss one clocking. I have had four colleagues either clock in early or clock out late and one sick. These are only by 5-10 mins but show on exceptions. A PFS colleague clocked out late twice, talking to others when arrived in store. An off till colleague clocked out late once, last min issue on tills. A CSD colleague arrived late for a shift, had dr app and was delayed.  The colleague off sick was not even put in sick book, let alone updated on system and was after I had gone home for the day. My exceptions are ok, not great but ok. I do all my frog work but some things just are out of our hands.
I get more exceptions than the admin manager but the wages clerk does a lot of his frog work for him and I have more than double the headcount, he also sometimes does his frog work from home, even updates his the few exceptions he gets from home. I'm not going to do that.

Redshoes

Also, regarding length of service. If we are scored on this is it for or against us. I am well into my 60's but I have no issues with extra hours etc. New ways of working has always been ongoing. We just need to adapt and I have adapted better than some that are younger. I fill fresh and grocery I can cover for any colleague in any of my areas.
I resent score on length of service either way. I can do my job and don't want to be scored down because of how close to retirement I am. I also don't want to be scored high on this either. A lot of long service people have worked in several stores, in different roles and can bring experience.
I don't resent being scored on performance. I'm lucky enough not to be worried either way this plays out for me. I have been in consultation twice before so I know how it feels, it just works out better for me this time and it works either way. I do however work with a younger manager who is desperate to stay. I feel for them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk