Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:49PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Social distancing for workers

Started by dfl, 16-04-20, 05:14PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

Comments welcomed on what it's like in your department. I seen what happens in picking dept and to be honest all workers far to close to each other and even when not constant pass each other in close proximity often.
DFL

dfl

Found same in vans, 1 driver, 1 learner, hardly 6-9 feet apart
DFL

gomezz

I had a falling out with a long time colleague over this.  Now he and everyone else who heard me explode at him keep their distance from me.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Mark calloway

No such thing on our store, especially when dot com come in. 3 or 4 of them on 1 aisle right next to you.

dirty-donkey

Our Dolt.Com aim to get double figures to an aisle, especially fresh meat, produce and homebake.
Newer ones are the worst, sure no-one has explained it to them -Not that it should need to be explained.
Also mob handed at the split. Four to a cage as usual.
Managers just turn a blind eye to it, and their hand-over pow-wows are almost comical to watch.
Between colleagues, there is a strange phenomena that if you 'know' them it seems OK for them to encroach the 2m area.
Usual tales of spineless managers backing down to shouty customers and not backing up checkout staff.
To be fair also a few stories also of customers being ejected.
Don't forget folks, after this we will go back from being 'valued respected key workers' to the dirt beneath the SMs shoes

Nomad

Your last sentence has a very large ring of truth, sadly humankind has a history of not learning from its mistakes.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Hollyhock75

Dot com- Renaming as lambs sent to slaughter
The last few weeks have been an absolute shambles
You can’t move in our store due to the amount of pickers, even after night staff have gone it’s still crammed and it’s almost impossible to have any space some of us are just waiting for aisles to clear before we even attempt to pick anything
My managers are constantly reminding everyone about social distancing but no one listens
Some of us have very vulnerable family members at home and are terrified of going into work now, we try our best to keep space but when you have another 60 pickers all charging into your space it’s enough to make you cry, I put myself between the trolley and the shelving but people still get in that space aswell it’s just a joke
The colleague room is full of morons all sitting next to each other cramming up the tables, other staff are still stood right next to each other like there’s no such thing as covid 19
It’s disgusting I’ve lost respect for some of my colleagues I thought they knew better I can’t even blame my dotcom managers they’re trying but how do you control almost an entire workforce of what seems to be complete idiots
The demand is high but putting it’s staff into this position is irresponsible and where it seems to the media that Tesco is doing everything it can to help the country it’s hiding the fact it’s placing its staff in jeopardy and is ignoring health and safety and government advice

dfl

Hollyhock75, I totally agree with your sentiments, that's what I've seen in store, company turning a blind eye, I mean how can any reasonable employer expect to run a picking and despatch system whilst at the same time keeping the safe distance, the two are mutually exclusive and therefore these departments shouldn't be running.
DFL

Bluemoon

No such thing in our store as social distancing. Working in the aisles and customers reaching across me to get items. Not following the arrows. It’s an absolute farce. I have spoken to my manager and he said they can’t make customers follow the rules. We are not safe.

StinkyPoo

Dot com everywhere whilst us night crew try and fill. No social distancing even when you say something to them, it's a joke. No wonder customers are complaining, managers do nothing when you say you're concerned.  I'd rather be at home earning 80% than at work earning an extra 10%.

King1999

Depends how forceful you are with customers and staff,at the end of the day it’s your health and your families I’m more than happy to p**s off colleagues and customers who don’t follow the social distancing rules and one way systems and your managers should be enforcing it aswell. It’s life and death.

captain

Firstly my management team are really trying their best to implement social distancing apart from break and lunch where they still are all in staff room.
Secondly if any customer comes within 2 metres of me I just glare at them and walk off that aisle completely, it slows down the work but my health is far more important than a few more bits on the shelf

Duff McKagan

Social distancing is non existent in our store also...we aren’t a large store but we do have dot com...things were going fine because we don’t have a large night crew...1 person per aisle with the exception of fresh so we were able to keep our distance very well....the management then decided to bring dot com in at 3am and from there on in it’s a s*** show....they don’t respect anyone’s space...they reach over you as you try to fill, they squeeze past and just go where they feel like. They even have the cheek to complain about us being in their way and moan that the shelves aren’t full....yes, because it’s 3am, we’re halfway through the grocery delivery and the fresh delivery isn’t even in the building yet!
It’s caused such a problem in our store that several night crew have actually taken themselves out of work to protect themselves, they would have carried on working had it not been for the decision to bring dot com in at 3am.
So now we are down on experienced staff, we have increasing delivery sizes and can’t work them efficiently because we’re having to dodge dot com pickers left right and center.
The whole point of closing the store between 10pm and 8pm was to give us time to replenish, or at least that’s what we’re told...so why then bring in pickers 3 hours earlier than normal to strip the shelves?
To me this also flies in the face of the hours set aside in store for vulnerable customers and NHS customers...we are supposedly giving them priority with an hour at 9am but what good is that if dot com have been stripping the shelves for 6 hours previously? Not really prioritising key workers at all are we!

HelpME23

We are exactly the same! 1 person to an aisle to fill, but. Now dot com are in in the early hours and they don’t/can’t really social distance! At one count I saw 16(!!!) down the meat aisle! I’m lucky in my role that I can move and do another job if necessary which I did but I mean, this is unacceptable. Also had management strong arming people on to dot com who have had breakdowns over it, crying on the shop floor

captain

It seems, from the comments, that dot com is the main problem, I am glad I don't work ina dot com store.
So what are the unions/health and safety reps doing about it??
You should walk off the aisle if dot com pickers invade your 2 metres space and not go back until you feel safe

Duff McKagan

There are so many pickers in our store you’d never get your aisle filled if you did that....life is more important than work for sure but we still have jobs to do.

Health and safety rep in our store works in dot com...so...

BarryZola

As long as you carry on doing the job without refusing they will keep on making Dotcom the absolute priority.

Bread to

Got to say I. Our store it’s  pretty much personal choice yeah customers and staff have no clue over the 2m distance rule and if you wait for there to be 2m before you fill then your gap has been taken. But on the other hand I have stood for 5 minutes waiting for a gap to appear without a comment and have picked at half the speed I normally do and no manager has even made comment.

biggguy

Good bit is we miss the customers at 10pm but get the hoards at 6am lol,but our lead manager has told us to leave the aisle if too busy

Hoover

its bad in our store have reported to our night manager ,senior lead night manager, dotcom manager, store manager ,
wife came home in tears this morning and nobody in dotcom take the government advice seriously .
Have now reported it to @davelewis and contacted tesco via twtter who told me they would be in touch with store manager lets all message tesco through twitter or message @davelewis just to tell them how bad it is and change it for the better .. please ........

King1999

Let your local press know the company love to look good nationally but in reality,you’ve got toss pots who don’t give a s*** about staff they need to be shamed for it.

lucgeo

Better still, covert recording with your phone, cover your tracks...get a mate...to get a mate...to get a mate ( all unconnected to Tesco) to post it on social media.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Twinkletoes

At silverburn Scotland it seems as if social dusbtancing is a joke amongst management and certain staff.   Facebook group has numerous pics of them standing next to each other for recognition, staff huddling together for chatd, dot com invading aisles by the dozen and standing next to each other or reaching over staff of they work.   If you ask management to do something about it they laugh,  tell you to keep working or say if you don't like it then go home.   No attempt made to make staff safety priority! Disgusting

dotnochance

if they say "if you dont like it and go home", do what lucgeo said "record them on your phone"say your going to report them to head office, see how funny they find it then

King1999

Phone the protector line,be funny when they are the ones going home seriously how f***ed up is this company now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk