News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:35PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,118
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 321
Total: 325

Disciplinary Meeting

Started by tempo35, 29-04-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempo35

Today I opened a letter from my manager explaining that I must attend a disciplinary meeting on Saturday, due to allegations against me for “manually putting on club card points”. Around 2 weeks ago I scanned a receipt to see if it was possible to get points with your colleague club card as I had a few receipts at home. I might have done it again a few days later, but I am genuinely not sure if I did a second time. Obviously, this was incredibly stupid of me, but after doing some research I’ve found out they take this stuff quite seriously. I have planned to use one of my parents as a rep, but I’ve been seriously panicking for the last couple of hours about possibly losing my job.
If anyone could give me any advice it would be great.

Phoneshopguy

Dont use a family member as a rep, they mess things up without realising because they are too involved.

I was in a grievance disciplinary recently and the appeal was in my favour for a number of reasons but mainly cause of a family member "rep" going against a policy they know little about.

tempo35

What would you suggest I do then?

Redshoes

Anything Clubcard is easily tracked. It can also be tracked down to a very small level. I have seen PFS colleagues flag up for a meal deal. They were often serving on each other's numbers but it looks like serving yourself. Since then the system has improved. All can be traced on back system and if you have the hub the atandard of CCTV is crystal clear.
Don't even attempt to hide what you have done, you can't.

Redshoes

If you are a vulnerable adult or under 18 you can have a parent or family member with you but their role is moral support and not to represent you.
A rep is a union rep or an experienced colleague but the level of what they can do differs. Neither can answer on your behalf but can ensure correct procedure is followed and put a case forward for you. This is in simplistic terms.

Phoneshopguy

What do I suggest you do? Honestly, go in there, be honest, explain you made a mistake and that you dont remember doing it the second time.

How much were these points worth? 5p? £500? It all makes a difference. We dont have the ins and outs like you're disciplinary record etc to go off.

But, for arguments sake let's say you have worked for tesco for 10 years, the points were only 5PC's worth and this is you're first offence in 5 years... well its gonna get blown over just by you explaining it was a genuine mistake you are extremely sorry about it and you will make sure that you wont ever keep you're clubcard on you again (why did you have it on you???)

Obviously if you have only been at tesco for 5 minutes and the clubcard points were quite a few then, in the nicest possible way, assuming all the paperwork is correct t and no one messes up the meetings then, well I'm sorry but yeah, its gonna be classed as theft.

Again, I'm not in you're store, I dunno the ins and outs, but that's what I would expect to happen.

tempo35

Quote from: Redshoes on 29-04-20, 10:50AM
If you are a vulnerable adult or under 18 you can have a parent or family member with you but their role is moral support and not to represent you.
A rep is a union rep or an experienced colleague but the level of what they can do differs. Neither can answer on your behalf but can ensure correct procedure is followed and put a case forward for you. This is in simplistic terms.
The issue is, I am not part of a union and I don't have enough time to join one as the investigation has already started. As well as this, I'm not particularly close with any of the experienced colleagues at my store.

tempo35

Quote from: Phoneshopguy on 29-04-20, 10:53AM
What do I suggest you do? Honestly, go in there, be honest, explain you made a mistake and that you dont remember doing it the second time.

How much were these points worth? 5p? £500? It all makes a difference. We dont have the ins and outs like you're disciplinary record etc to go off.

But, for arguments sake let's say you have worked for tesco for 10 years, the points were only 5PC's worth and this is you're first offence in 5 years... well its gonna get blown over just by you explaining it was a genuine mistake you are extremely sorry about it and you will make sure that you wont ever keep you're clubcard on you again (why did you have it on you???)

Obviously if you have only been at tesco for 5 minutes and the clubcard points were quite a few then, in the nicest possible way, assuming all the paperwork is correct t and no one messes up the meetings then, well I'm sorry but yeah, its gonna be classed as theft.

Again, I'm not in you're store, I dunno the ins and outs, but that's what I would expect to happen.
I've been here for 7 months, and this is the first time something like this has happened. From what I remember as well, it was only a small amount.

Redshoes

If you have made a mistake the best thing to do is to admit it.

tempo35

Admitting it and being honest is what I want to do, I just need some help with a rep

lucgeo

Is there not an ex rep instore, that you coukd ask some advice from?? They may even offer to sit in? Does no longer established colleagues take newbies under their wing in your store??
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Siwel123

Not close to any longer term employees? I'm sure there would be someone in store happy to sit in with you and give you advice and help if you asked. They may not be your best mate in store, but there's usually a few people who will offer to help and sit in with people, union or not

bazlindon

You are entitled to have a union rep for your disciplinary hearing whether you are a member of the union or not.
Just tell them you would like a union rep, before your hearing and they cannot continue with meeting until they get you one.
If they don't , at the meeting the first question they will ask is do you need a union rep etc and if you say yes then they have to adjourn the meeting until they get you one.

tempo35

Well I have asked my manager if they know anyone in the store who is an ex-rep, or someone who is familiar with the situation, and they've straight up ignore me :/
Not really sure where to go from here in all honesty

Redshoes

There will be a list of union reps up on the wall. The ones in my store have phone numbers and say what dept they work in. Give one a ring.
A manager can help and support you get a rep but they fall short of organising it for you.
As I said, a parent or guardian is for moral support and not to represent you, they can attend in addition to a rep if you fall within a vulnerable category.

biggerpicture

I wasn’t aware you could have a union rep for a disciplinary meeting if you weren’t a member.  Is this correct?

lucgeo

You're not entitled to union representation if you're a non member. But I think you've been steered wrong here, as if I'm reading it right, you haven't actually had your first meeting yet, so you can join the union today and have representation from the off!

Also if you are unable to get one to attend for the first meeting, you can adjourn the meeting until you are able to secure union representation. If they try to go ahead with it, stating you have been given enough time to secure representation, cite your managers refusal to your assist you when asked, when you were obviously "emotionally flooded"..but it was a "my manager listens to me" non conversation. ( Tesco speak) HA!
If it proceeds, your first question should be are you fit to continue? "No! I'm emotionally flooded" do you want a rep? "Yes" all this should be written down in your notes, if not, refuse to sign until it is included.

You can also phone your USDAW local area office, to join and request a rep, their number is on the union board along with your instore union reps contact details, though I'd be suprised if they have their phone numbers listed for contact? But try, if time permits,  to get the instore rep to sign you up first, it goes in your favour :thumbup:

bazlindon

This is taken from citizens advice direct website.

Quote"If you’re not a member of a trade union
You don’t need to be a member of a trade union. You can ask an official from any trade union to come with you. The union doesn't have to be recognised by your employer.

If you want to be accompanied
You must ask your employer. It's best to do it in writing so that you have a record that the disciplinary or dismissal procedure has been followed.

Your employer doesn’t have to let you be accompanied unless you ask to be."

I know you have to be a member of the union for any appeals or if it goes further but your FIRST meeting , you are allowed a union rep if you need one on your initial meeting.

lucgeo

Are you taking that quote in its entirety?  8-)

It could be interpreted as being the recognised trade union for your business? In that another union, to whom you are a member, can represent you, instead of the recognised workplace union.

However, that quote would have you believe that you can have representation without being a union member of any union...can't really see it

Morris999

You might well be allowed a union rep in your meetings if your not a Union member, however the union is under no obligation to provide a union rep!
And I know many unions will not provide one if you do not pay there union membership fee, usdaw included.

Tinkerbell1234

I had investigation meeting my letter said different to investigator one so proved it was lies so am i able to get copies of the statement the manager made that is evidence he lued he lied he said i tore the letter up i still have it and showes  its not torn up and thrown at him 

lucgeo

Letter?? or investigation notes?

Tinkerbell1234

I got investigation letter stating I scrunched up another letter up and threw it at manager, which is false.  I had a meeting and the allegation they said was that I tore the letter up and threw it, false again as I still have the letter.  When I said that is different to my letter she asked to look at it then changed the wording, can I, obtain statement the manager did, as proves he lied because I have the letter.

NightAndDay

If you can prove that the investigation was improperly handled you can put in a grievance, depending on how they handle it, you might have a case for legal recourse if you talk to ACAS.

lucgeo

You say " the allegation they said" was this a formal meeting with notes? " changed the wording? So was the original wording written down in notes and then crossed out and changed, or was change in wording added?
If notes were taken, then it should state in those notes, the managers stated claim.
Or did she take your letter and change the wording on that??
Falsifying records is a serious breach of conduct.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk